Gibson Brands Forums

Proof in the Pudding

Rewddawg1

I am posting this thread to put an end to the question which is better Epiphone or Gibson? In response I ask you to listen and watch the following

I consider Maniak a friend and musician and please check out all of his posts because he plays a variety of musical styles and I think you will enjoy. Now Maniak plays stock to the rock Epi's and they perform as well and sometimes better than a Gibson. Now I won't kid you an Epi will not hold it's value compared to a Gibson but alot of people cannot afford to pay $3000 to $5000 for a single guitar, but isn't it weight, comfort, playability, and tone what attracts us to a guitar? In other words a $5000 Gibson Les Paul is useless to me due to my back problems and smaller hands. I cannot reach upper frets and it's way to heavy. They are beautiful but I would have to hang on the wall to look at not play. I also feel that in general Epi's quality has increased in recent years and Gibson's quality has suffered. One is not better than the other IMHO. A good running, reliable Toyota is worth more to me than a Rolls Royce that is broke down all the time. I think that my friends videos are proof that you don't have to buy a Rolls Royce if you can get what you want and need by buying a Toyota. Please no Toyota posts it was just an example. Just an opinion by another person who loves guitars.

Rewd.

LOL so some YouTube videos are supposed to convince us Epiphones are better than Gibsons? Come on. Even if you modify an Epi to sound nearly as good as a Gibson you can't make it play as good.

Now let's not beat this dead horse anymore.

Please they are stock as a rock and I never said one was better than the other. I have had used Gibson's in the past and no longer own them due to money or practicality. I still own a Gibson and love it! Also Maniak is a friend not an endorser of any guitar!

I am posting this thread to put an end to the question which is better Epiphone or Gibson? In response I ask you to listen and watch the following
I consider Maniak a friend and musician and please check out all of his posts because he plays a variety of musical styles and I think you will enjoy. Now Maniak plays stock to the rock Epi's and they perform as well and sometimes better than a Gibson. Now I won't kid you an Epi will not hold it's value compared to a Gibson but alot of people cannot afford to pay $3000 to $5000 for a single guitar' date=' but isn't it weight, comfort, playability, and tone what attracts us to a guitar? In other words a $5000 Gibson Les Paul is useless to me due to my back problems and smaller hands. I cannot reach upper frets and it's way to heavy. They are beautiful but I would have to hang on the wall to look at not play. I also feel that in general Epi's quality has increased in recent years and Gibson's quality has suffered. One is not better than the other IMHO. A good running, reliable Toyota is worth more to me than a Rolls Royce that is broke down all the time. I think that my friends videos are proof that you don't have to buy a Rolls Royce if you can get what you want and need by buying a Toyota. Please no Toyota posts it was just an example. I have thought about posting a similar thread on Gibson's forum but the flak would be never ending. Just an opinion by another person who loves guitars. Bottom line not all Epi's are crap and not all Gibby's are worth the price.

Rewd.[/quote']

There will never be an answer to this question because it may not be the "right" question. To use your motor vehicle analogy, if you have a good well made and reliable Toyota that gets you comfortably from A to B, then why hanker over a "Roller". The reasons people do want a Rolls Royce vary from - prestige, because they can afford one, or they want to buy the best possible car, snob value, etc, etc.

To continue the car analogy, when I was much younger and was driving long distances I'd see a lot of inexpensive cars broken down beside the road with their owners either refilling radiators or fiddling with carburettors.I'd hardly ever see a BMW or Rolls broken down. These days I hardly ever see any cars broken down - why? Well because they make all of them a whole lot better in the 21st century.

Same with guitars. When our idols like Clapton, Harrison,etc started to play a guitar they bought inexpensive ones because of price. The mass production quality of that era was not great.

They then graduated to better built and more expensive guitars as success and money allowed. The construction quality and finish of "inexpensive" guitars like Epiphone and Squier is now much better than the cheapies that Clapton and Harrison probably bought. Change the pups and stock hardware if you must, but after doing that you would be hard pressed to tell the difference between an Epi LP Custom with Gibson 57 Classics and an actual Gibson LP with the same pups. I would expect that both the EPI LP and Gibson LP would stand up to constant gigging and daily use for many years.

The quality gap has closed a lot over the past few decades. Which is better - Epiphone or Gibson??

Well there is no single answer - better quality wood I suppose, but where do you draw the "timber" line? You can buy boutique and handmade guitars with better quality timber than Gibson, but at a much higher price than a Gibson.

The real question is - "what is the best guitar for me - Gibson or Epiphone?" You then answer your own question by selecting the brand that fits your budget, expectations, perceptions, ego, and choice of "guitar heroes".

Stewart, your point is well taken. Also the timber problem will only get worse. They have only started to address this problem in recent years and it will take 100 years to grow back what has been cut down. Not in my lifetime.

I'd have to say that I love my Gibson's and Epi's equally well. Remember, there is ALWAYS a lemon in the bunch, no matter how expensive it is. Unfortunately, one of us here will get one at some point!

Archived