Gibson Brands Forums

The new Les Paul PRO/FX

Sjael

I thought that someone started a thread about these awhile back' date=' but who cares? Its awesome! Floyds make me drool. Now, why wont they do that to an SG???[/quote']

Yes, that was my 'does this float your boat?' thread.

I'm not quite sure about a LP with a Floyd but I would like a Tribute to add to my stable.

I thought that someone started a thread about these awhile back' date=' but who cares? Its awesome! Floyds make me drool. Now, why wont they do that to an SG???[/quote']

To route an SG for a Floyd would probably require removing what would equate to 1/5 of the body of the guitar. Not sure what that would do for sustain?

I don't think I've ever seen an SG with a Floyd. Anyone know if it actually can be done?

I'd be interested in the LP if it had a non-recessed Floyd.

Apparently it can...

Nice! I'm guessing that its not factory original. It looks to be non-recessed...which would make installation a tad easier. Not much though. I've heard that there are problems with the body thickness in relation to the block with aftermarket installs.

Apparently it can...

p1_uksj3iflj_so.jpg

Ha! Guess it can. Do they have any of the back route? I wonder if they changed the trem block? I'd think that a stock Floyd block would come pretty close to sticking out the back!

Yes' date=' all the pictures can be seen here

And I thought putting it on a LP was a bad idea!

Robin, in answer to your question.

1. Ugly

2. removing material for a locking nut on and angled headstock is a really bad idea, how many breaks have we seen in that exact area without taking 30% of the wood out?

3. The whole point of the FR was to be able to bend UP as well as down, I bet you can't get more than 1/2 step up with that thing at best.

4. You remove a lot of wood to do that, a 4 lb les paul ain't a LP in my book. About 10% or more of the body winds up on the shop floor

5. they use a cheap-o FR, not a nice one ( BTW the best is the Ibanez edge, the original one, not the new ones they have now. The ONLY FR I'll use is that bridge, I have 6 in a drawer just awaiting the time I need parts, you can have them when I'm dead, they are for ME not my clients!)

6. The one I picked up (the Gibson) had an improper neck angle for that type of trem, seems like an oversight to me. Like they found a stash of bridges left over from something and just slapped them on a bunch of Lps

Reasons its a good idea?????

1.????

2.????

3.????

Ron, you have some very valid points. I disagree with #1, but thats just a matter of taste.

The locknut/headstock is the real killer, I think. There are arleady enough broken LP/SG headstocks without an FR, for sure.

Never thought about the neck angle, but yeah, thats a great point. I was actually curious about that while looking at that SG with a non-recessed Floyd.

It seems like the action would be very high with limited ability for correction. But, I have a non-recessed Floyd and you can bend up a full step, but that is all.

But at the same time, I can adjust my neck angle to compensate for the lack of recess routing.

I have a cheap-o FR...what of it? [biggrin]

Actually, I get your point. But we are talking Epiphones here, not Gibson. I would expect nothing more than a licesned Floyd on an Epi.

Its probably better than the one I bought from GuitarDepot, though.

I think it's an actual Floyd Rose (You can see "Floyd Rose" on the bridge on the LP in the pic at the top of this thread).

It may be one of the lower cost asian FRs vs. the German made Schaller ones, but it does appear to be a Floyd Rose brand tremolo.

Here's what the Epiphone site says:

"The new PRO/FX features a Floyd Rose Special nickel plated tremolo. The body is routed out in back of the tremolo to allow for pitch raising up to 2-1/2 steps while the downward range is wide enough to get the strings slack. It's combined with a R4 locking nut for improved tuning stability."

I do agree that the Edge is far and away the best of the FR type trems. I still love the one on my Jem 777 LNG and it works great after all these years. I had an RG550DY that I bought later in '87 to keep the miles down on the Jem, but I ended up selling it as I had a bandmate with the exact same guitar (though his had a black painted headstock and mine was yellow). Wish I hadn't done that.

2. removing material for a locking nut on and angled headstock is a really bad idea' date=' how many breaks have we seen in that exact area without taking 30% of the wood out?

3. The whole point of the FR was to be able to bend UP as well as down, I bet you can't get more than 1/2 step up with that thing at best.[/quote']

2. If you look closely, the neck is slightly longer to accomodate for the lock-nut without removing too much wood. (I find it odd that you complain about that when your beloved Ibanez RGs have the necks peirced by the lock-nut.:-k )

3. Once again look closely, The Floyd is recessed into the body so you can bend up significantly. And the whole point of a Floyd is to be able to dive bomb with out the whole thing coming out of tune.

Yes, but the RG neck is near indestructible compared to a Gibsons. I mean, its almost normal for a Gibson that's been around a while to have had some sort of headstock repair, not the case in an RG. And extra length, if it is there, won't help one bit for adding strength, just give the nut material to sit on, I sure hope they at least did that. And they aren't recessed, they have access for the trem block, but they are put on there strat style, not recessed like it really need to be to take advantage of the trem.

And they aren't recessed' date=' they have access for the trem block, but they are put on there strat style, not recessed like it really need to be to take advantage of the trem. [/quote']

That LP looks recessed to me. Its the aftermarket SG that isnt recessed.

Well, I'm judging by the Gibson I held, not the picture I saw. Maybe it was a prototype, but the trem was not recessed. That had the top carved slightly to make a flat space, but not what I'd call recessed by any means.

And I still thing its ugly..:-

Well' date=' I'm judging by the Gibson I held, not the picture I saw. Maybe it was a prototype, but the trem was not recessed. That had the top carved slightly to make a flat space, but not what I'd call recessed by any means.

And I still thing its ugly..:- [/quote']

I have a feeling that there are quite a few Gibson LP FR prototypes floating around out there, actually. I know for a fact that Alex Lifeson (Rush) has at least three of them. As far as being recessed, I dont know.

A couple of other things I was thinking about:

For as much discussion as this model has generated between us, this isnt the first time Epiphone has produced an LP with a Floyd. I dont know the model years, but Ive seen several LPs in Alpine White with FRs on them over the past couple of years.

Also, and I know that no one has the answer but I'll ask anyway, but since Epiphone has decided to "break tradition" by installing a Floyd Rose and extend the neck, why not just add a volute for extra support?

Archived