Gibson Brands Forums

Got drunk and sanded my Elitist Sheraton :-(

AS90

:-$

I was wondering who broke into my new fridge and helped themselves to half my beer.......

[woot]

I guess it was me...

How fine a grade of sandpaper did you use BTW?

It was actually one of those sanding sponges, it just said 'super fine'.

I took the gloss off the neck on my G400 with some super fine sand paper and loved the feel. So after a couple of beers last night, I did the same to my Sheri, it now plays even better!

What do you think about some tung oil on that neck? Gives you some protection, but preserves a more "naked wood" feel. Any other amateur or professional luthiers have a comment on that idea?

can you post some pics of this?

The back of the headstock shows how glossy it was...

SAM_0207.jpg

So this shows the nice new satin finish...

SAM_0208.jpg

A bit of T Cut and polish will bring the gloss back.

What do you think about some tung oil on that neck? Gives you some protection' date=' but preserves a more "naked wood" feel. Any other amateur or professional luthiers have a comment on that idea?[/quote']

I haven't gone down to bare wood so tung oil is not needed, there is still plenty of lacquer on the neck.

Dumb question' date=' AS90...but, I've always wondered, why...when they fixed your headstock,

they didn't just paint the whole headstock "black?" (Just curious) ;>b No big deal...

CB[/quote']

I often wonder that myself! The actual repair was so good (a good price too) and I was so happy the break was undetectable I didn't ask.

Archived