Gibson Brands Forums

Epiphone SG Junior with a Single P90

Argyle

Hey,

I saw one of these on Craigslist the other day and I was wondering; is this rare? I haven't seen too many of these. If anything, they have the ridiculous humbuckers nowadays. Would it be worth it to buy it?

yea i would listen to deflepfan.' date=' what colour is it? I want an sg junior to go with my LP junior[/quote']

It's cherry. Not sure about the specific cherry color though.

I will-as soon as I get a hold of the seller, I'm definitely buying this. The amplifier, I know, won't be as great as my G-DEC but I can just give that away.

Hey' date='

I saw one of these on Craigslist the other day and I was wondering; is this rare? I haven't seen too many of these. If anything, they have the ridiculous humbuckers nowadays. Would it be worth it to buy it?[/quote']

They are rare, but not in the sense that they're particularly valuable or great guitars.

As with the LP-shaped Epi Jrs. there were bolt-on and set-neck verisions. I'd expect the guitar in questions is not a set-net, it's a plywood body bolt on, and will have some fret-end issues and a very inexpensive P90. If it's a set-neck, that's a real steal.

But for $50 who cares? It's a perfect knock around or mod platform...

They are rare' date=' but not in the sense that they're particularly valuable or great guitars.

As with the LP-shaped Epi Jrs. there were bolt-on and set-neck verisions. I'd expect the guitar in questions is not a set-net, it's a plywood body bolt on, and will have soem fret-end issues and a very inexpensive P90. If it's a set-neck, that's a real steal.

But for $50 who cares? It's a perfect knock around or mod platform...[/quote']

I agree. I've yet to see it in person but it is a steal so regardless of whether or not it's a set neck, I'd buy it as long as it's in working condition.

If you don't have a guitar with P-90s it would probably be a good guitar to get at that price. I have a Melody Maker with a single P-90 and it's great-nice and chimey when played clean and screams when it's cranked up.

Here's a picture of the MM.........

2004MelodyMaker-crop.jpg

I asked the guy to hold it for me until next week but he says he can't make any promises. Turns out he works until late in the day and gets out, of course, when I'm not available. lol

I'll see what I can do sometime this week.

dunno if this has been said or not, but in response to the first post, i firmly believe that for 50 bucks, a p90 sg jr is more than worth it.

one of my favorite local bands has a p90 sg and it sounds great. they play really cool bluesy country so on clean it sounds nice and twangy and bright, and then with a little dirt and drive it has enough punch to really get the point across....

if you don't mind me asking, where in the country are you? i'm in utah and our craigslist sucks rocks when it comes to instruments.

epi's p90's just as good as gibsons? well sorta?

Not likely - real Gibson P90s are quality pickups and go for around $85 new, almost as much as a whole bolt-on Jr. costs.

Plus Epi installs different pickups for different price point guitars. The P90s in a bolt-on Jr. are most likely the cheapest they could get away with in a $100 guitar.

Archived