Gibson Brands Forums

New Epi Dot

rjames1973

Hi,

I just received a new Epi Dot today from Guitar Center. It looks and sounds great, except that the following strings go out of tune when I bend them: G, B, and high E. Does anyone else who owns an Epi Dot have this issue? If so, is there a relatively inexpensive way to fix this without having to replace the nut or tuning machines? Thanks for the help.

Welcome to the forum.

The tuners on the new Dot should work fine. Th Grovers on my 2007 are great.

Are they new strings? Because if they are, they need some time to stretch out. After a day or two they should be fine.

Or perhaps they were not put on very well and that is why.

But I wouldn't replace them.

My Dot stays in tune better than my other 5 guitars.

And as far as the nut goes.

It should be replaced anyway. It's a crappy piece of plastic.

Bone or Tusq is a nice improvement.

Give them a few more days and bend the yeehaw out of them.

If that doesn't work, get some new strings (D'Addarios or something good).

If that doesn't work, get the bridge intonated and nut recut.

If that doesn't work, get a Buzz Feiten nut installed.

If that doesn't work, ditch it and get a Sheraton.

Been playing my Dot for about a month. I restrung it when I got it home, and after the strings settled for a few days... bang those strings, man.... it stays in tune like a champ.

I'm still walking on air... I can't believe how much I dig my Dot.:-k

jrc

Below is a vid to help you with stringing - from this you should be able to tell if yours are wound on OK. If not (or if they look tarnished) get some new quality branded strings (usually 10-46 gauge).

If new, correctly fitted, well stretched in strings are still going out of tune the nut is the next thing to look at. Little pinging sounds when you tune up are caused by string binding. Graphite from a pencil usually sorts the problem out but, if not, you might need to get your nut professionally filed/recut or replaced with a better (than plastic) variety.

Alan

Wow, thanks everyone for replying to my post! I'm probably going to restring the guitar and see how that works out. If it doesn't fix the issue, then I'm going to take the guitar to my local tech who can replace the nut for me. Tuning issues aside, I love this guitar! It's a great deal for the money.

I'm a big fan of new strings on a new guitar; it's the first thing I do. It's either been a display model, manhandled by every wannabe shredder out there or sitting in a case on a shelf in a warehouse for months on end.

I've never had an issue with my Dot staying in tune. Properly installed strings, stretched and re-tuned a couple of times during the process should stay in tune after a day or so, even with some bending. the video AlanH posted is good but it leaves out a couple things. Install the string (and you don't need quite as much "slack" as the video shows but the technique is spot on), tune it, stretch it, tune it, repeat about 3X. After all strings are on, re-tune again, play for 5-10 minutes, bending, etc. and then re-tune and come back the next day. Re-tune as neccessary and you should be good to go. Your mileage may vary!

Archived