Gibson Brands Forums

Joe Pass or ES175?

vomer

I'm trying to help a buddy choose a jazz box and the choice may come down to these two. As neither of us have easy access to either of them at the moment (middle of nowhere), what do you guys & gals think? I see from the specs they are both maple laminate, and I read elsewhere that the JP has a slightly smaller body. Same scale neck and nut width. Is there much between them? Neck profile, radius, tone, build quality? Thanks.

I'm trying to help a buddy choose a jazz box and the choice may come down to these two. As neither of us have easy access to either of them at the moment (middle of nowhere)' date=' what do you guys & gals think? I see from the specs they are both maple laminate, and I read elsewhere that the JP has a slightly smaller body. Same scale neck and nut width. Is there much between them? Neck profile, radius, tone, build quality? Thanks.[/quote']

I assume you mean Epiphone ES-175 here.

The body on the EMPII (JP) is a bit thinner than the ES-175, but only by 1/4 of an inch

and on a jazz electric, that is not a disadvantage, as the laminate spruce top on the

JP makes up for it. The difference is the shape of the cutaway..the Florentine on the ES-175

vs the Venetian on the JP.

The ES-175 has a 1 11/16 (1.70) wide nut and the JP has 1.68". (same)

The neck is about the same profile/radius on both and I'm comparing it to the Gibson ES-175.

The difference is that the JP has a maple neck and the ES-175 mahogany. Tone will be different because of that

and because the stock p_ups will be different.

Acoustic tone will be slightly different as well.

Build quality on the Samick made ones was pretty good, but the hardware is different (tp/tuners).

Don't know about the build quality of the Indonesian made ones though.

[crying]

The neck material is different, so is the top soundboard, Spruce on the JP, and Maple on the 175. So the JP will be brighter, and the 175 darker, more woody tone to it.

The 175 will feedback more easily.

My personal experience with respect to the tailpieces, is the 175 tail will rattle more than the JP's.

I prefer the necks on the JP, but that's my opinion.

The gold finish on the JP's tarnish pretty quickly, whereas the chrome on the 175 will last longer.

If you want better side by side comparisons...

http://www.epiphone.com/default.asp?ProductID=9&CollectionID=1 Joe Pass

http://www.epiphone.com/default.asp?ProductID=263&CollectionID=1 ES-175

Wasting time at Daddy's Junky a few times, I played the Epi ES 175, and an Epi Zephyr - essentially the one (neck) pickup version of the ES-175. I liked the Zephyr much better actually, thought it to be a nicer guitar overall, just felt like better build quality, and sounded better. I think it was MIK, while the 175 was MII. Being hollow, with only one humbucker in the neck position, it's not going to be the most versatile guitar, but for jazz works nicely. I don't know if they make them anymore, but they seem to be relatively common on the used market, might be worth a look-see.

Wasting time at Daddy's Junky a few times' date=' I played the Epi ES 175, and an Epi Zephyr - essentially the one (neck) pickup version of the ES-175. I liked the Zephyr much better actually, thought it to be a nicer guitar overall, just felt like better build quality, and sounded better. I think it was MIK, while the 175 was MII. Being hollow, with only one humbucker in the neck position, it's not going to be the most versatile guitar, but for jazz works nicely. I don't know if they make them anymore, but they seem to be relatively common on the used market, might be worth a look-see.[/quote']

The ZepReg and the 175 are totally different animals.

ES-175====Maple body with Mahogany neck

Zephyr Regent=====Maple top w/Mahogany sides and back,,, and maple neck

http://www.epiphone.com/default.asp?ProductID=152&CollectionID=1.....ZepReg

http://www.epiphone.com/default.asp?ProductID=263&CollectionID=1......ES-175

and sorry they are discontinued, but there are some on evil-bay...and at very nice prices too.

But not mine, thank you very much, I like it wayyyyy too much

I have only owned two full hollow electric guitars....

My modified Joe Pass

P1010214-1.jpg

which I sold and the Epiphone Zephyr Blues Deluxe I currently own (and love)

P1010326.jpg

The JP was one very fine guitar but for my personal tastes and needs my "Blues Battleship" ZBD blows the JP out of the water....but that is only a personal assessment......

Here is an example of the versatility....if you get a chance try one out....

[YOUTUBE]

[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]

[/YOUTUBE]

IMHO, there's no contest --- the Joe Pass is a MUCH better guitar. I used to own a Gibson ES-175, and I wouldn't trade my Joe Pass for one, let alone the Epi version. I've played several of each model, and all the JP's I've seen have had better fit and finish, richer tone on the neck pickup and more bite on the bridge, as well as more tonal clarity all over the neck.

Also --- for what it's worth --- the JP is an original Epiphone design. The Epiphone ES-175 is a copy of a Gibson design, and not even a good copy. The cutaway is misshapen and asymmetrical. If I were seriously after a less expensive 175 design, I'd be looking for one of the Japanese makes from the 70's or 80's --- Greco, Orville, Ibanez, Tokai, Antoria, Burny, or the like. And while the ES-175 is one of the few guitars that I actually like with a Florentine cutaway, I generally do prefer the Venetian. That's a subjective aesthetic preference on my part, but it may be a consideration for your friend too.

Don't hate me but I've been hanging out at the Ibanez Collector's World forum ever since I got my Ibi Artist, and thought you might like to see this: http://cgi.ebay.com/1977-Ibanez-Johnny-Smith-2461-NT-/280500926426?cmd=ViewItem&pt=Guitar&hash=item414f2877da

It'll probably close at around $2k, but that's a phenominal copy of the Gibby original, and there are similar examples by other mfrs as Parabar points out...

Archived