Gibson Brands Forums

94 Epi Les Paul, crackling while turning volume/tone pots

KevmanTA

Hey guys, I haven't really owned any electric older than 98, so I'm not really sure what to do with this, when I turn the volume or tone up on all 4 pots, I get a crackling noise, Should I change the pots, or is there a way to use tuner cleaner without taking them out?

I'm taking it apart in a few weeks when I get my Neck Seymour Duncan Seth Lover Pup in the mail, so I got some time..

I don't see why you would have take them out. Just remove the cover from the back to gain access to the cavity. You should be able to clean them just fine from there. I use WD40 and a good quality contact cleaner.

These guys may know more about electronics than myself so you may want to take their advice but the WD40 has worked for me in cases where contact cleaner alone did not. What would be a safe replacement for the WD40 ?

Hey guys' date=' I haven't really owned any electric older than 98, so I'm not really sure what to do with this, when I turn the volume or tone up on all 4 pots, I get a crackling noise, Should I change the pots, or is there a way to use tuner cleaner without taking them out?

I'm taking it apart in a few weeks when I get my Neck Seymour Duncan Seth Lover Pup in the mail, so I got some time..[/quote']

Changing the pots is always a good option unless you're

keeping the git stock/vintage. I'm familiar with the products

previously discussed, have not seen post as to HOW to do it, with pots

either in or out of guitar.

Some use a device that fits over TOP of pot, goes down thru

shaft sleeve to reach contact point. I just go in thru the side,

even if pots are still in guitar.

The following method has worked for ME many times, others may

have differing opinion!

THE POT: (Mechanical contacts are inside the opening behind the solder tabs)

100_0578.jpg

A SPRAY: (De-oxit is good, I use what I have on hand)

100_0579.jpg

SPRAY HERE:

Obviously, not while git is energized, spray is Flammable. Just a few quick

sprays while turning pot knob back and forth several times to help clean

contact surfaces. Then allow time for contact cleaner to evaporate from inside

pot before energizing, use hair dryer on cool to help if you want. After cleaner

has evaporated, plug up and see if it worked....

100_0580.jpg

When using an electrical cleaner be careful around the finish of the guitar and especially plastic parts. I used some electrical cleaner once (I forget what brand) on a collectable toy machine gun and it bleached the green plastic to a white color where it ran down the side of the gun. kinda ruined it. Just a note to anyone using this stuff. btw the can said it was safe for plastics,etc...

When using an electrical cleaner be careful around the finish of the guitar and especially plastic parts.

Thanks' date=' GL! I zoned out on that part! [biggrin[drool][drool]

Damn, now the Wizard will NEVER give me a brain....

719768_353c_625x1000.jpg

Hey guys' date=' I haven't really owned any electric older than 98, so I'm not really sure what to do with this, when I turn the volume or tone up on all 4 pots, I get a crackling noise, Should I change the pots, or is there a way to use tuner cleaner without taking them out?

I'm taking it apart in a few weeks when I get my Neck Seymour Duncan Seth Lover Pup in the mail, so I got some time..[/quote']

I have a '92 LP that developed noisy pots. I bought a can of spray electronic component cleaner from Radio Shack. Took the cover off the pot compartment, sprayed the pots while turning the knobs. Voila! Noise disappeared! I also have one of those little plug-in headphone amps from VOX. The controls became noisy on that little bugger too. There's no way to get it apart. I tried squirting the solvent into the pot knob area which did nothing. So figuring the amp was pretty much worthless anyway, I squirted a big shot of cleaner into the earphone plug hole. It worked. I guess the pots are open, no covers, so the solvent got on the wipers and carbon resistor and cleaned it up. Then I got "solvent happy" and started squirting on the switches and pots on all my guitars and amp pots. So far so good. [biggrin]

• 2 months later...
I don't see why you would have take them out. Just remove the cover from the back to gain access to the cavity. You should be able to clean them just fine from there. I use WD40 and a good quality contact cleaner.

DO NOT USE WD-40.

WD-40 leaves a lubricant behind after use and that will

simply invite and hold MORE dirt on the contacts.

USE LPS CONTACT CLEANER

It usually comes with a little thin long round

red tube taped to the can... you can use

the tube to get into tight spaces to srpay.

The little tube will fit into the gab between

the phonelic-resistor board and the metal

cover of a pot (potentiometer) where the

3 solder lugs are located.

We used it in the military.

It works.

I used it for 9 years' date=' restoring antique radios.

It works and leaves NO FILM behind.

Any film left behind WILL collect and hold dirt and dust

to give you much grief later.

[img']http://www.caloly-safety.com/images_products/plant_280/lps_00416.jpg[/img]

Use a cleaner designed for electronic components. Available at Radio Shack and sores of that nature.

i work at a Radio Shack and we carry an Contact/Control Cleaner/Lubricant spray. Guys use them on their guitars all the time. Myself and one of my employees included.

i work at a Radio Shack and we carry an Contact/Control Cleaner/Lubricant spray. Guys use them on their guitars all the time. Myself and one of my employees included.

Rat Shack contact cleaner leaves a lube behind.... so does WD-40.

Bad idea' date=' as the [b']lube WILL TRAP AND HOLD dirt and dust[/b].

You want to clean ONLY and leave nothing behind.

These are not wheel bearings, they are potentiometers.

Archived