Gibson Brands Forums

Wildkats - am I cursed?

Spyke1

Hi all,

When I got my first 'Kat I was really pleased with it - except the holes where the bridge posts go had been miscut and there were gaps by the posts. Everything else with the guitar was fine. I was told to keep it until a replacement came in, then return for a swap.

Well, the replacement came a couple of days ago. The bridge post holes are perfect, but the overall finish of the guitar is not anywhere near as good as the one I returned! I attach a picture of the fretboard binding. It also seems the fretboard itself isn't as good, and there's some parts where the colour is different too. It plays ok, but I'm just disappointed in the finish compared with my older one, which was better (apart from the obvious fault).

This one is made in China - I can't remember if the other one was or whether it was made elsewhere...?

pic04a.jpg

The pic only shows one small section clearly, but it's like this over most of the neck.

This one is made in China - I can't remember if the other one was or whether it was made elsewhere...?

Never have seen such poor fretboard binding. Whether the cutter for the binding was set too deep' date=' or the fretboard itself was slightly too thick (not planed to the correct thickness). Wonder how this guitar passed the quality check. I would return it and ask for another one. Here's how the fretboard binding looks on my chinese Les Paul Custom:

[img']http://img340.imageshack.us/img340/5264/fretboard.jpg[/img]

Thanks. The binding on my other 'Kat was perfect - straight up perfect! Shame it had those miscut holes - maybe I should still have kept it. Anyway, do you think I'd have any trouble using the binding condition as a reason for returning? Would it be normal practice?

I'm tempted... but I've already sent one back...

And got a guitar that's faulty again.

I am in two minds. I bought new so it should be perfect...

Of course. You pay the full price' date=' and can expect an error-free guitar for your money. Was it tagged as B-stock? With accurate description of the known faults? If not: Return it.

this is the trouble with buying online. It's a respected dealer too!

Not very long, when he continues selling that kind of guitars. It's the responsibility of the dealer to check the guitars before selling them, and return faulty ones to Epiphone immediately. I know almost no dealer does with the budget guitars, but they should.

...... do you think I'd have any trouble using the binding condition as a reason for returning? Would it be normal practice?

Sorry to see that - that's DEFINITELY a legitimate reason for return - you paid for a new guitar, not one that should never have passed QC .... that's a shame. Return it and tell them the next one had better be perfect on arrival or they'll FOREVER lose your business.... money still talks (....unfortunately, I have "little to say"...heh). The Wildkat is still on my someday/one day wish list of guits, sorry you've had such bad luck o' the draw. I say perhaps give 'em one final chance to make it right, as long as they're paying all shipping.

Anyway' date=' do you think I'd have any trouble using the binding condition as a reason for returning?[/quote']

No, not at all. Seriously: Would you have bought that guitar from display in a store? Or do you think any serious dealer would have put it on display in that condition? You most likely would have asked for another one I guess (and probably got the one with the strange holes...[crying] ).

To me this pretty much looks like the very first output of a new installed production line with unexperienced workers.

Another, thing, the bevel angle on the fret ends looks very shallow (or deep, depending on perspective), which should result in the high E string (and possibly low E as well) slipping off the frets. Man, is that annoying. Quick, return it and ask that someone absolutely check over the replacement for fit and finish before shipping a new one.

You're all right of course. Looks like I'm going to have to get on the phone again tomorrow! [crying]

Thanks for the support and advice. I'm beginning to wonder if I should got for another 'Kat or try something different. Anyway, thanks again and I'll get in touch with the dealer now.

Another' date=' thing, the bevel angle on the fret ends looks very shallow (or deep, depending on perspective), which should result in the high E string (and possibly low E as well) slipping off the frets.[/quote']

Well, now as you point it out... For comparison here's what it looks like on the Elite ES-335 (and same on the Elite Les Paul).

The bevel angle is much more steep, and the bevel not wider than the binding:

fretboard2.jpg

I'm beginning to wonder if I should got for another 'Kat or try something different.

A "Kat is definitely worth another chance..... they're sweet .... unfortunately' date=' you've had bad dealings. Give them another chance, or return it for refund and give another merchant a chance .... you KNOW you want the "Kat !!![confused I know I do !!!

The "miscolored" fretboard isn't nearly as bad as the 1 on my '56 GT (also Chinese), the fretboard actually looks like "Zebrawood" on mine.

I didn't send it back because when I got it, it had just been "discontinued" (yeah, right).

It doesn't effect the playability, just the appearance.

It doesn't effect the playability' date=' just the appearance.[/quote']

Yeah, but I suppose if you bought a new car with a scratched door, that wouldn't affect the drivability either! And yet I'm sure most people would return it... :-

I've emailed the dealer with the pics of the fretboard, then I'll phone tomorrow to discuss.

I'm going to have to save this thread for all the CL dil-holes that keep trying to tell me how cheap they can get a "New Wildkat" for.

I keep telling them, go play a new one (I even tell them where one is) and then play mine and you'll see why I'm asking what I'm asking.

Sorry to hijack (and vent)............ Send it back hopefully you'll get a good one.

I spent $350 over what I paid for the guitar ($450) to make mine right. Twocents.gif

The guy I neded to speak to wasn't there today, but I left my complaint with one of his associates, and they have the pictures shown above to refer to. Perfect replacement or refund are my wants at this stage.

My new les paul custom has this same issue! Except the plastic is coming off in spots.

Sledge-57 -

Why sell a used $400 guitar for $100 more??? Mods don't ad value...

I'll sell it for $400, without the case...............

And fixing Epiphones QC problems are not mods in my eyes.

it's making the guitar what it should have been when I bought it.

Kinda like the LP you're having problems with, remember the crappy frets etc on your's?

Only mine wasn't new from GC so I could either keep a turd or spend the money to make it right, I chose the latter.

And again I'll put mine up against any new Wildkat..........................................

I get ya, but I was under the impression that making repairs does not increase the value of a guitar, that it can only hurt it. So how a $400 guitar with a lot of repairs cause it was a dog is worth $500?

Anyway... the dealer has arranged collection and replacement with no hassles, though because of a trip I won't see it until I return in nearly two weeks. Just hope that third time really is the charm!

Archived