Gibson Brands Forums

Well, my Dirty Fingers arrived.. need some clever peoples' opinions..

Sjael

As some of you will know, I recently decided to drop some DFs into my Explorer. After a couple weeks the first has finally arrived, with one hitch. It seems the plastic that the seller wrapped it in has melted to the pickup bobbin somehow. #-o

Here's where it stands:

pickup.jpg

Bigger

(Before you comment on the gold pole screws, it's fresh out of a Prophecy GX [biggrin])

As you can probably tell, removing what little of it I have thus far has yielded some damage to the Dirty Fingers logo, but I don't really care too much about that.

Just wondering about your guys' ideas on how I can clean this thing up. I'm hesitant to take to it with any solvent for fear of it also removing the bobbin.. [biggrin]

TIA.

Since the logo has already been damaged I might try a very fine abrasive, maybe a Mr. Clean Magic Eraser or scotch brite pad. Or patiently pick away at it. Heats obviously not an option and steel wool would be a disaster.

I think you have a job that is going to require patience.

If it was me, I would start by cutting the plastic carefully at the screws, where

it seems to be loose, or a bit raised off the surface.

After that I would use a small flat knife to pick away at it.

I'm not sure about steel wool. Maybe in a small area if you have to,

but it will remove the shine from the pickup also.

Now THAT'S clever[cool] Mentally filing it as my "I learned something new today" for today !!!

Someone care to explain it to me? I'm well aware of what silly putty is' date=' I just can't fathom how it can prevent steel wool damaging a pickup.. [biggrin

I'd go for the small knife and tweezers gentle pick away

If you know anyone who scratch builds models they may be able to help with small tools similar to dentist picks and stuff.

Otherwise relic look is good.

Someone care to explain it to me? I'm well aware of what silly putty is' date=' I just can't fathom how it can prevent steel wool damaging a pickup.. [blink']

it's not so much that it will prevent it because steel wool is abrasive. I think the silly putty would be used to remove the little bits and pieces of the steel wool that will stick to the pickup because of the magnet.

I would try..and I do mean "I", whether you do is your decision, but I think nail polish remover should be strong enough to dissolve the plastic then IMMEDIATELY wipe it off with a rag followed by Windex(the one made with vinegar).

This will probably remove all of the writing though.

If it is a sticky residue, like the kind that tape would leave, then nothing is better and safer than WD40, spray it on a rag and wipe until it's gone, then clean it with the windex.

I never tried nail polish remover or acetone on a pickup so... but I know that the longer it sits the more it will affect plastic...and not in a good way.

With my first ever attempt at using acetone I tried to clean a knob from an old radio, I think the knob was made of bakelite. I let the knob sit for about 15 minutes... when I took it out it turned into a piece of chewed bubble gum...just to give you an idea of how strong this stuff really is. Good Luck.

ENTER AT YOUR OWN RISK and I do not know if it will damage the gold plating of the pole pieces.

Ok.. it is really just a) not messing up the pickup and [biggrin] not removing the logo.

I would try a VERY little lighter fluid. let it work under the plastic.

Then try and peel it off.. you can see a few places where it hasnt stuck yet so I would give that a whirl first.

I use lighter fluid on tons of stuff.. never had a problem.

it's not so much that it will prevent it because steel wool is abrasive. I think the silly putty would be used to remove the little bits and pieces of the steel wool that will stick to the pickup because of the magnet.

Bang on.

Archived