Gibson Brands Forums

Les Paul Standard 1960 Tribute...Stunning!

tommyb

Drool... and then... drool some more...

Gorgeous... drool...

Sorry, I can't help it.

I have a thing for LPs and great pictures of them.

Tom, great looking guitar and great picture.

And Hoss yours is beautiful as well.

Again, drool...

I wish I knew how to take pictures like you, Tom.

You just made an Epi look like a Million-bucks guitar. Seriously.

Thank you and keep them coming.

Thanks, Xaj...

Funny you mention a "million dollars"...one of my photography contacts on Flickr saw the same pic and commented that "that (guitar) must have cost a fortune!"

He's a fine photographer but obviously doesn't know much about guitars! I explained it's the VINTAGE guitars that cost a fortune, especially Gibsons.

I like to shoot them outside without flash and with a slightly overcast sky which makes the light more even, without deep shadows.

I buy mine to play, but it's fun to shoot some artistic, even abstract shots of guitars, and by their design and shapes, and the gorgeous finishes they put on them, makes it easy. Here's kinda what I mean...this is my avatar over on the Gibson forum:

4688142324_d21000dfca.jpg

2010, sans poker chip; fingerprints, dirty socks, and all...

IMG_1026.jpg

IMG_1050.jpg

...and an older pic, before the chipectomy:

IMG_0869-1.jpg

I've got a TonoMojo "Jimmy Page" wiring kit, 4 push/pull pots, all ready to drop in, but it's going to have to wait another month or so before I can get to it. Planning on getting some silver reflector knobs when I get the wiring done. I'd really like to get some black pup surrounds, if anyone knows where I can get some, fast & cheap... otherwise, I might just try spray painting them black and see how that works.

Also, just a quick question for the Tribute LP owners out there: Have you figured out the proper way to take the strap locks off when you don't want to use them??? I can only seem to back the nut and washer off, but the actual locking piece that's attached to the strap button on the guitar doesn't seem to be removable. I'm used to the Schallers which you simply pull-out and then lift off -- but there doesn't seem to be anything to unlock these puppies!

I've got to admit i'm not a big fan of flame/quilt top les pauls. I'd rather take a plain top anyday but i really like this finish! [cool]

I thought it was the equivalent to a plain top? It doesn't have the flamed or quilted design pattern on the maple -- Just the standard wood grain :-k

I like to shoot them outside without flash and with a slightly overcast sky which makes the light more even' date=' without deep shadows.

I buy mine to play, but it's fun to shoot some artistic, even abstract shots of guitars, and by their design and shapes, and the gorgeous finishes they put on them, makes it easy. Here's kinda what I mean...this is my avatar over on the Gibson forum:

[img']http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4054/4688142324_d21000dfca.jpg[/img]

This is a FANTASTIC shot ... truly one of the nicest I've ever seen! What's chances of getting access to a large one to use as a desktop?

Jim

Hi guys,

I'm totally new here. But I saw this thread and had to register to wade in.

First Tommy and Hoss, those are beautiful guitars, I'm especially partial to the trans black. Congrats. amazing guitars, and I want one but first.

For some background :

I like LPs and can't afford a real Gibson Standard and have also come across some really nice copies for so much less.

I don't currently own any Epi's but used to have a Black Standard Epi LP w/ Duncan (custom5 & 59') pups which I liked. My first LP type guitar.

Then I owned a 2004 Tradition S2000(see avatar) w/ Duncan pups and awesome flamed CSB finish, solid mahogany body, flamed maple cap. These are really nice guitars. They have gone up in price recently which I question but the S2000 was top o' the line. Actually liked more than any of my other LPs past or present and probably would have kept forever, never needing another LP but the neck was a little too narrow from side to side.

Then I traded for 2002 Gibson Ebony LP Studio w/ stock pups. Really liked this, it was a little dinged but had that traditional LP feel and sound. The stock pups were okay but liked the Duncans better.

then I traded this for an ESP/LTD EC-1000 in see-thru Black Cherry w/ EMGs. Beautiful guitar, great pup's but not what I'm looking for in an LP. Great neck, love it. But no maple cap, just mahogany body.

So now I see this Epi Tribute LP and it sounds like just what I want, a more traditional LP shape, traditional construction, non-chambered body (as it should be), Love the trans black finish, pups sound like they should be keepers and I dig the coil tapping, so at long last my question is about the neck profiles.

Does anyone have experience with the asymetrical neck? I'm concerned the 60's slim taper might end up being to narrow/small like my Tradition was. Is the asymetrical similar to a compound radius on shredder strat like a Jackson?

I know the obvious end-all to this is to play one but I have not come across one. I guess I could go play a real Gibson LP with a 60's slim for reference but I really want some input on the asymetrical. Any info on this will be greatly appreciated.

chuck

You can never have too much gear.

Guitars:

1979 Fender Hardtail Strat

1988 Fender HM Strat

1989 Hamer Chapparral

2006 ESP LTD EC-1000

OLP Petrucci signature model

Carvin Bolt kit

Amps:

ENGL Thunder 50H

Marshall AVT50H