Gibson Brands Forums

Future NGD!

rdsmith3

I mentioned HERE about my GAS for the Les Paul Traditional PRO. I almost bought a used black one from Musicians Friend, but I really didn't want black.

I just happened to be in GC today and asked them if they had any of these models. It turns out they had sold the last one on Saturday, but they had some more that just came off the truck. "Do you want me to get one?" the sales guy asked. I said, "Oh, they're all black, right? Do you have any in the wine red color?" He said, "No, but there is one that is cherry burst." What! These guitars don't come in that color according to the

Epiphone Web Page - Les Paul Traditional PRO

My resistance weakened at this point because cherry burst is one of my favorite colors for a Les Paul. So I can get everything I like about this guitar in a color I really want? Sure, go get that box. He did. I played it. I fell under it's irresistible spell. I put a deposit down on it.

The Epiphone web site does not list this finish but it is definitely a Traditional PRO. It says that on the truss rod cover. It has the push/pull pots, the neck binding, the flat finish on the back and sides, and so on. It is a sweet guitar. Now I just have to finish paying it off.

Here is a lousy cell phone photo

941554503_Uv44G-L.jpg

Beautiful guitar. Can you tell me if Epi is veneering the backs on these?

I'm not sure. I was on lunch break, and I played it for maybe 15 minutes. I checked the neck, checked the intonation, listened for fret buzz, and kept tuning it because it was just out of the box, but I did not look at the wood that closely.

The Epiphone web site does not represent that it is a hunk of solid mahogany.

I'm not sure. I was on lunch break' date=' and I played it for maybe 15 minutes. I checked the neck, checked the intonation, listened for fret buzz, and kept tuning it because it was just out of the box, but I did not look at the wood that closely.

The Epiphone web site does not represent that it is a hunk of solid mahogany.

[/quote']

Of course what you checked is most important[cool]

Please update and review this one when you get it, I love the look and features.

Beautiful guitar. Can you tell me if Epi is veneering the backs on these?

Yes it is veneered. It is the 'open grain' but looking along the sides under a light the veneer is definitely there, albeit the best hiding job I've seen yet.

It's nice to see the HCS LP Trad. Pro but I'm losing no sleep over this revelation-

I've already got an LP Plus Top in HCS and 2 faded cherry Epi's, so Ebony was a needed addition in my arsenal.

Bring out a Teaburst and I may have some tears to shed.

I just have one issue -- I haven't told my wife yet. :)

The Lord will save me,

and we will play my music on stringed instruments

all the days of our lives,

at the house of the Lord.

Isaiah 38:20

Sing to him a new song;

play skillfully on the strings, with loud shouts.

Psalm 33:3

Lol. Oh man I m going to use this one with my wife! Thanks a bunch!

Beautiful guitar, RD!

I've never seen the cherryburst version of that guitar ... glad to hear that they are out there!

Take a look at your guitar ... now quadruple the price and look at mine:

SANY0004-1.jpg

SANY0017.jpg

I'd say you did just fine (and you might show this to your wifey to prove what a smart and responsible shopper you are!)

Well done!

Jim

Congrats, RDSmith.

I really like the idea of those trad pros. I'm especially interested in the new Epi probucker pickups. Do they negate the need to put in aftermarket pups?

Epi Trad Pro owners -sound files please, please, please guys!

I have to say though. When I see Jim's Gibby, the main problem with all the Epi models (including standards, '59s, tributes and trad pros) is strikingly clear - that overly glossy finish.

Congrats' date=' RDSmith.

I really like the idea of those trad pros. I'm especially interested in the new Epi probucker pickups. Do they negate the need to put in aftermarket pups?

I have to say though. When I see Jim's Gibby, the main problem with all the Epi models (including standards, '59s, tributes and trad pros) is strikingly clear - that overly glossy finish.[/quote']

On the traditional Pro, the glossy finish is only on the front. The rest is a satin finish. Not sure what the finish is, though.

Congrats' date=' RDSmith.

I have to say though. When I see Jim's Gibby, the main problem with all the Epi models (including standards, '59s, tributes and trad pros) is strikingly clear - that overly glossy finish.[/quote']

If you play this guitar two things will pop out at you like they did me.

You will most definitely Love The Neck. The feel and shoot from note to note is a non-stick affair with blistering movement.

The Pickups are some of the best found in a stock Epiphone

If putting in a BB3 and a PAF pro are what you desire then this pair can do no wrong.

Beautiful guitar' date=' RD!

I've never seen the cherryburst version of that guitar ... glad to hear that they are out there!

Take a look at your guitar ... now quadruple the price and look at mine:

I'd say you did just fine (and you might show this to your wifey to prove what a smart and responsible shopper you are!)

Well done!

Jim[/quote']

Thanks. And it has neck binding, which is very important, right? [biggrin]

I'm really excited about getting this.

Thanks. And it has neck binding' date=' which is very important, right? [biggrin']

I'm really excited about getting this.

Neck binding has always been a non-negotiable for me on a Gibson or Epiphone guitars. The playing comfort and finished look it gives the instrument is simply a must in my book. Now, Fenders can get away with it for some strange reason, but with them Ive always been a stickler for a maple fretboard ... I guess I'm just an opinionated old cuss! [biggrin]

That's one reason why, as excited as I am about the new 50's Tribute Studios (when and if we ever see them!), the lack of binding and the fatter 50's neck might just be a deal breaker for me ... we'll just have to get our mitts on one and see what it feels like.

Back to your axe, RD ... you're gonna love it. In the few opportuities I've had to play one (wine red and ebony models), I was just completely impressed with how great a job Epiphone has done with it. No pickup changes needed at all IMHO. About he only thing I wasn't completely in love with was the rather "raw" finish on the back of the neck. It's not bad at all, but I got used to the "satin" finish on the Gibby and this felt a bit more like the faded finish. It's still WAY preferable to the poly finish though. All in all, it's a pretty amazing guitar ... congrats agin!

Jim

Archived