Gibson Brands Forums

Epiphone Masterbilt AJ500RE owner.. Bummed out

StrumminAndy

So, just got home from work, sat down to play it.. Decided to tune it up. Turn on the eSonic2 tuner, and start going.. From the top to bottom.. E to E.. I get down to the B string, and notice it barely can pick it up. I get to the last string, and it doesn't pick up the last string at all. Sat there and played the open E over and over and over for several minutes.. Changed the batteries to brand new ones... Nothing.. Great. I am officially done with this guitar, and Epiphone all together. The damn tuner on the electronics doesn't even work. WTF!?

Seriously, my beat up 250.00 Yamaha is outperforming this piece of crap in longevity and I've dragged that guitar all over the place in hot humid summer, and literally -30 degree below Winter up here in MN. If you were me, what would you do? I literally just sat down to play it for the first time after a 2 month wait and there's problems with it.

Just talked to the local repair shop here again. You guessed it, I have to bring it back in on Thursday to have it shipped off again. I guess I will start hoping maybe this time I will get one that actually works and isn't a piece of garbage. Sorry Epiphone, you're the worst guitar company I have dealt with thus far.

Is your guitar shop and authorized Epiphone repair center? I don't undrstand why they keep shippig your guitar back to the factory.

Neither of the issues you mentioned seem to necessitate sending the guitar back to Epi. A new piezo will probably resolve this problem in about 5-10 minutes, and the bridge could have been replaced in house as well.

geelinus I appreciate the response. I do NOT want to have to send this thing back in again. For one, I can't stop looking at it because of how nice a brand new Epiphone Masterbilt looks! :) For two, I can't afford to pick up the Gibson I have my eyes on right now and want a damn guitar to record with.. :(

I've seen you bring up the Piezo thing in a few threads now.. Can you go a little more in depth on it? I'll try searching google for some information but I don't know much about this guitar yet, as I haven't had it long at all.

As far as why the shop wanted to send it in to Epiphone? I guess I don't know for sure.. But the fact I had my sales receipt and it was still under warranty I guess it was more cost effective for them and myself to send it off to have Epiphone do the work. The bonus is, I got a brand new guitar with a few extras my last one didn't have.. Unfortunately the electronics are crap.

I went back to the guitar again.. If I strum the E, A, D, G, I get a read on the tuner.. If I strum the B extremely hard with my finger it picks it up eventually.. But the high E, I got it to pick it up once or twice but there is definitely something wrong.

Do you recommend a Piezo replacement as a DIY? And where can the parts be had?

I appreciate any help you can offer, thanks in advance.

The peizo is the slender electronic sensor thingy that sits directly underneath the saddle. It has a wire on its end that runs through a hole in the soundboard to the preamp on the side of the guitar. If it's like every other Epi I've seen, the wire should connect to the preamp by means of a plug. Consequently, the unit can be replaced.

Is it 100% certain that the piezo is the problem? No. But there's a good chance it is.

Where do you get one? There are a few possibilities:

Online retailers

eBay

Local music store,

Buy a broken A/E guitar, steal the piezo, and sell the other parts on eBay.

***** Piezo prices vary rather wildly.

***** Be sure that the piezo you buy is the correct length and thickness. Otherwise the saddle may sit too high to cut/file down( I've made that mistake before).

Good luck!

Wow. Just read about this saga and I'm sorry to hear about your problems. That sucks.

Hoffman Guitars is a factory authorized Gibson warranty repair center; they do great work. They've worked on every guitar I've owned in the past 15 years, including my '98 J-45 and the IB'64 Texan I got earlier this spring. (I just had some minor adjustment issues with the Texan, and had them switch out the plastic bridge pins with some camel bone pins. Nothing big or problematical.)

While money is always an issue, Hoffman's price for regluing a bridge runs from $175 to $225, according to their website. They publish a list of their prices on their site, which is here: http://www.hoffmanguitars.com/index.html

While it is frustrating to have to send a guitar back when it is under warranty, I would have been tempted to have just had Hoffman's remove the bridge, sand off the finish and reglue the thing.

By the way, Charlie Hoffman -- a luthier who became a lawyer in case guitar-making didn't work out -- is a thoroughly nice guy and wrote an article on guitar warranties that appeared in "Acoustic Guitar" magazine some months back. You can check it out here: http://www.acguitar.com/article/default.aspx?articleid=25114

I changed up the strings on it and realized if you pluck the strings hard enough it registers the string. This is good enough for me.

Ron is one of the luthiers at Hoffman, and I know him pretty well as his daughter is married to my brother. They do great work there!

I am not sending it back to Epiphone, as it works good enough for me without any modification. It's just not as sensitive as my last Epiphone (The tuner) as I have found.

Plus, I plan on micing it anyways for recording in the future so if I want a nice sounding guitar with a good plugged in sound I'll probably go with a Taylor or Martin.

StrummingAndy...

Sorry to hear of your current problems. The same thing happened to me about a year and a half ago. The bridge lifted on my AJ500RC. (Cedar top)

I took it back to where I bought it, and THEY sent it back to Epiphone. Got the guitar back after they reglued it and its played spectacularly since then.

Believe me, I understand your frustration.

Happy pickin!

Mike

• 1 month later...

Turns out during shipping, there is a electrical strip that lays under the bridge saddle.. It probably just wasn't seated properly. After changing the strings and re-seating it, it's fine. w00t. That is all.

Anyone recommend a good condenser mic for recording it?

Glad you finally got everything working right on your guitar, Andy.

• 1 month later...

Here's an update for everyone. The electronics have since started acting up again.. The tuner and pickup at the end of the fingerboard are both affected. If I set the eSonic 100% to the NanoMag, the B and E high strings barely register at all, very faint.. So if you strum a chord you can only hear E,A,D,G strings. If I put it 100% to the flex it's fine. Probably a bad PreAmp after all which someone previously suggested.

Additionally, this new guitar Epiphone sent me, the bridge is lifting yet again in the same spot as my last one. This time around, I even have been using light gauge strings all along thinking that might help, but nope. This guitar has barely been played and has only lasted from September to today. These MasterBilts are pieces of crap... I hate to say it, they just are. There's no alternative to Gibson, Taylor, Martin, etc. Unfortunately.

Any suggestions from the users here? Shall I just contact Epiphone myself and ship it back again? In the mean time I am going off to find a rosewood bodied Martin dreadnought.

Andy

Andy:

Unfortunately, it's a warranty, not a guarantee. It would be nice if you could somehow get your money back, since it's clearly sub-standard gear.

As for alternatives to Taylor, Gibson and Martin, you're talking a very different price point compared to Epi. Have you looked at the Godin (Seagull, Art & Lutherie, Norman, Simon & Patrick) acoustics? Very nice, very resonant guitars with lacquer finishes, not poly. Dollar for dollar, some of the best guitars out there.

Yes sir, you're right. It's not a guarantee, even though the badge within the sound hole says Guaranteed against defects in materials and faulty workmanship. lol

And yeah you're right, it's a big step up in price. The sad thing is, my 200.00 beater Yamaha is still standing the test of time compared to this guitar that I paid 500.00 more for. So that doesn't necessarily mean more money is more guitar.

As far as those guitars you have mentioned goes, no I have not looked into those. But I am more looking for a guitar that will last decades and sound better over time, than something that will just last a couple years. We'll see what happens. I am doubting I will get my money back. Probably just another Masterbilt that will fall apart in 3-4 months time. This next one will probably go straight from Epiphone to my house, and up on eBay.

Andy,

I've read and kept up with your problems and I'm sorry to hear you're having so much grief.

I own a MB AJ500RC12 and its a great guitar that I've had for 3 years now. I played it daily, except for the last six months why?

I did my self a favor and bought a true "high-end" guitar. It wasn't an easy/snap-too decision on my part, not at all.

It was a year ago around Christmas time that I decided I wanted one, my goal was to buy myself an awesome Git for my birthday in May. I kept picking up $1000+ guitars at my local shop and knew I "needed" one :). So I started saving my money. I pledged to put down $100 a week (no latte's and brown bag lunches, etc), it wasn't always easy but at the end of April I was able to order a Taylor 412ce. (of course this is completely different from what I already have) nonetheless....

The second I got it I knew it was the right thing. Again I took my time deciding which one I wanted, body style/wood combo's etc. I worked with my local shop in setting up a "Lay-Away" account though I didn't order/know what I wanted till April. But I knew I was going to have a Taylor. (for reasons I won't go into here).

Anyhoo the reason I bring this up is perhaps you should consider this route? Higher end guitars are...well Higher End and not just because they "cost" more. They are more....so much more.

/.02 cents

• 3 weeks later...

Here is my .02

In the studio of 2008, i had a Masterbilt AJ500RNS, a Taylor 412ce, Taylor 314ce, Gibson Songwriter Deluxe Cutaway, and Blueridge BR Dreadnaught. Honestly, to our ears and the studio owner, we always went for the Blueridge and Masterbuilt why? Well. Masterbilt is built after the vintage series with satin finish..meaning more tone projection. That way that nice U87 we recored with, was able to pickup a lot nice Rosewood tone. The Songwriter still is restricted by its gloss. The Taylors, though also satin finish where small cutaways giving them hardly any projection once you actually here its true sound being picked up on a U87. Taylor cutaways should not be a direct replacement for something like a Masterbilt nor the Deluxe Songwriter because these where honestly built on the hybrid state of being "live" playing instruments.

Here is where i have my beef with Taylor and Gibson: Why are they marking these guitars so high but yet putting those weak UST pickups in them? (Older Taylors in which we had, had the Fishman Prefix. Gibson also had the Prefix.) Well, from my knowledge...the "name" stock ha. Martin does not do this though they are also high end customs. At least Martin puts some close to natural sounding pickups in there models. Specially this day and age. Yes, Martin had the same Prefix in there but Fishman has came along way from there but still has not came close to L.R. Baggs.

In most case the Masterbilt will age and continue to age better than a Deluxe Songwriter because of the finish they put on them. Almost every time we played live, my Masterbilt would cut through the mix much better than the 314 or 412 because of the L.R Baggs iMIX i had in it. That pickup, even til this day is considered thee most natural sounding pickup outside of their new Anthem pickup and a K&K.

If you want to buy a guitar high-end, do not classify that in price but rather quality and uniqueness. If price made a guitar "better" you would not see Breedloves putting Taylor to shame with half the price they sell them for. Not to mention, they are actually hand-made unlike Taylor claims they make theirs. From the video and tour i took..nah, they are not hand-made compared to Martin, Breedlove or Masterbilt. Taylor is nice and a beast but its not worth the money they price them as compared to the Martin 000's, Breedloves and most def the Masterbilt RF'S

The only way i would see justice in spending for the price tag they put on a Taylor of Gibson: If they stopped with the Expression System in the Taylor and went with K&k. If Gibson would lose the Fishman UST and get and use a iMIX. Then that would serve them well. But...saying you replaced a Masterbilt with a Songwriter Deluxe because you think it was "better" or high-end, does not make any sense. Taylor and Gibson has their place with "live" instruments made for that purpose. Sitting in the studio and playing with all these guitars, we realized the Masterbilt was the best recording instrument. Also, the Blueridge. If we had a Martin D-28 at hand, we would have use that too.

I will always want a Taylor GS or a Gibson J45 because they are honestly fine instruments. They even hold respect of not fitting them with pickups because 9/10 one is going to have a really nice natural sounding pickup installed for playing live. I can not say a Taylor CE series or Gibson Songwriter will surpass a Masterbilt. Nah

Oh wow that is interesting to know... Oh well. The cool thing about these Masterbilts is they are good guitars but not so expensive you think to yourself

Yeah this is the last guitar im going to need to buy. My dream guitar is a Gibson Songwriter Deluxe... with the solid rosewood body of course!

Do you have any samples of your setup in mp3 or wav?

• 1 month later...

Andy: What's the latest story on your Masterbilt Guitar Saga? Did Gibson ever get you straightened out?

I really think they should just send you a brand new AJ500M with a check for another $200 and let you install another pickup system of your choice.

When these guitars first came out in 2004, the first generation got rave reviews from various magazines with the simple L.R. Baggs Element System.

My E-Sonic 2 has been ok, since it was initially looked at during the first month of use.

That being said, I think you can find a good Masterbilt, but if you could find one of the earlier editions from someone you trust, I'd go that route.

Carl

• 2 months later...

I've just run across this thread and thought I'd add my experience. I have an AJ500RC that I bought when they were discontinuing the cedar top, got a very good deal from a mail order house. In five years, there's been no movement from the bridge, so I guess not all have the lifting problem. It could stand a setup, my brother-in-law, who is a sometime picker, had trouble with the action, but I don't mind it too much. It is not my main guitar, though, so it doesn't get played too often. I will keep an eye on the bridge now that I've learned there might be a problem.

BTW, everybody who plays it loves the sound.

Brad

I too would like to know what Gibson did about his guitar or if he got a refund and bought another one.

I have two Epis now, one Semi-Hollow Dot and a 1980 "000" Sunburst acoustic that I love. I really like Epiphones.

I've been looking at the Masterbilts or a Big Baby Taylor or 110 as an edition to my stable. But this bridge problem would make me lean towards the Taylor perhaps depending on what Gibson did about his problem.

Thanks;

Gary

Lifting bridge is very common, on these guitas. They glue the

bridge, to the "Finish," and not the wood. Simple to fix, so

why they don't do that, in the first place, is a mystery. My

good friend, has had his in, twice, until he finally demanded,

they take the bridge off, entirely, clean all the old glue off,

remove the finish, on the top, where the bridge sits, and re-

glue it, directly to the wood! Hasn't had a problem, since...

and that was 2-3 years ago, as I remember. The quick fix, is

to shoot some glue under the lifting part. But, that rarely

works, long term. Good Luck! I hope they fix it, correctly.

CB

Hi - Have been following this post since day one, and related posts about "lifting bridges". It seems this issue is isolated to the AJ models? I have not seen a post citing this issue on the DR models; my DR is several years old now, and I don't have this problem (knock on solid wood!!).

Regards,

• 3 weeks later...

Gonna be honest, the longer I live the more I think this stuff about spruce vs. this or that tonewood is kinda major voodoo bullstuff. The guitar I own which is made of the best wood is, believe or not, an el cheapo late 1950s Harmony Sovereign. This sucker has a quatersawn, bookmatched Adi top, solid mahogany sides and a one piece mahogany back. Yet while it gets you in the ballpark, this guitar still aint a late 1950s Martin D-18. The mostly likely reason - the bracing. The Harmony is ladder braced which even though very nicely radiused just does not give out the same complex sound as an X braced guitar - and which is also the reason there are two kinds of Harmonys - those that have had a neck reset and those that need a neck reset.

If you look at where Bob Taylor came from philospohically, it was his view that contruction rather than wood was the determining factor in an accoustic instrument's sound. He once built a guitar to demonstrate this theory with a top and neck made from an oak shipping pallet that he found at the back of the factory. Reportedy it sounded as good as instruments with fine tonewoods.

Archived