Gibson Brands Forums

Replacement bridge for Epi Dot

ronco05

I'm going to install a bigsby on my 2008 Dot and I want to replace the bridge and the nut at the same time. Can anyone recommend a good drop in replacement bridge and nut? Thanks.

I have good experiences with a roller bridge, a Graphtec nut and Grover Locking Rotomatics tuning machines on my Epiphone Swingster.

However I don't know which company makes the roller bridge as replacement part, it is stock on the Swingster. Be aware you need a metric type bridge for the Dot, Gibson type TOM bridges do not fit on the Epiphone bridge studs.

ronco,

I don't have a dot and I don't know much about roller bridges so this probably won't be much help.

Stew-Mac carries a couple. You would have to take the measurements and compare them.

I don't know if they would work or not.

Each product has a detail "tab" as well as a spec "tab" with a detailed drawing and measurements.

Here is the link:

http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Bridges,_tailpieces/Electric_guitar,_Tune-o-matic_bridges.html

Stew-Mac and most companies do have 1-800 numbers and most of them are very helpful.

I did notice the bottoms were flat so they might not be what you are looking for. Maybe this will at least give you

a starting point.

Willy

I can't answer your questions directly but may be able to help you in your search.

For the nut, I recommend looking at Tusq preslotted nuts. I have bought them off eBay and used them on a couple of Squier strats and they worked great. You can sand the lower side to get the height you want. You will have to research a little to find the one with the correct curvature and string spacing for your guitar.

For the bridge, I bought a replacement for an Epiphone Elitist guitar from GFS (guitarfetish.com) that looked to be well constructed and it fit perfectly. Look on their website and they list the "import" version that fits Epiphones. The web site says that they don't buzz, but the particular one I bought did buzz somewhat, as did the original on my guitar. Their parts a relatively inexpensive and they have a good return policy so it might be worth a try. I recall looking at StewMac also and I believe they had a bridge (Gotoh?) that looked like it would fit, but I ended up selling the guitar. As mentioned above, compare the measurements on your guitar to those on the websites and you should be OK. Also if you search this forum, I think you will find recommendations in other threads.

Tom

• 2 years later...

jus to verify how replacing a Nashville with a roller style or a Graphtec on my 08 DOT i attached a telephone "handset" type microphone (suction cup style) and then direct guitar w/ cord to my DOT "DOTTY" LOL and ran tests through my computer program SOFTTEST its a frequency analyzer among other features....and found 1. nashville and roller were soooo close in amplitude even a seasoned musician,like myself could not hear a differance... but the graphtec was several Db lower...but way more sustain with bridge AND nut graphtech...this tell me the metal bridges transmit more sound vibs to the body than the graphtech....jus an observation

Wilkinson make a popular roller bridge. I don't know it's fitting size and radius though.

I put a bigsby on my DOT a few years ago. I used a virbamate in case I did not like it and wanted to change back. I also used a Wilkinson bridge and it is not a drop fit. My neighbor is a luthier and he put it in for me. It works great and I like the adjustability but it will take some work to install.

The bridge size you want is 74mm post to post. Prior to around 1996 the post to post size was 72mm commonly. I replaced the bridge on mt '96 Dot and had to convert it from 72mm to 74mm.

Since yours is a 2008 a 74mm TOM bridge should fit ok.

Here's the story on my Dot re-build:

http://forum.gibson.com/index.php?/topic/91879-epi-dot-mod-meet-lucy/page__p__1257753__fromsearch__1#entry1257753

Archived