Gibson Brands Forums

1969 Les Paul Custom Black Beauty

hemply

I thought this is an appropriate BBS to post some photos of my 1969 LPC BB.

There have been some mods over the past 30+ years she has been with me, but I have kept the original parts.

Though now I am starting to believe the Luthier back when I perfomed the mods, or someone else in that production line may have pulled the old switcheroo on my original tuners?

Anyway, she a beauty, my "Queenie".

69bb02.jpg

69bb03.jpg

69bb013.jpg

69bb016.jpg

69bb09.jpg

69bb018.jpg

BBback.jpg

69bb05.jpg

Very nice, thanks for sharing. The Grover tuners were a great idea at the time - still are. I kind of like how they didn't try to cover the old footprint in the lacquer. And the gold keystones are nicer than the kidneybeans that most people put on when they swapped out the original tuners.

Forget the cork-sniffers and their complaints about not having all original hardware. Somebody thought enough of this guitar to make it playable, and they obviously played it. So to me it suggests it's a great playing and great sounding guitar.

All the mods were done at the same time in 1993 and I kept all the original parts.

I've been playing this axe since I was 12 years old, at that time she was already 10 years old.

Believe me I'm not worried about the "cork sniffers" as you call them, I will never sell this axe!

She has performed at middle school Friday night dances, to recording and jamming with some

heavy hitters in the industry! Nope, she not going anywhere! smile.gif

Is that a Nashville bridge?

Have you checked under the rhythm pickup to see if it's a long, transitional, or short tenon? That would help you get a more specific date (I believe the long tenon was used until February 1969). If you're curious.

Is that a Nashville bridge?

Have you checked under the rhythm pickup to see if it's a long' date=' transitional, or short tenon? That would help you get a more specific date (I believe the long tenon was used until February 1969). If you're curious.[/quote']

I believe I have a trans tenon in there. I will be bringing her up to a Luthier about 100 miles away to have her appraised for insurance purposes. I'll have him open everything up and we can photo document along the way.

I replaced the bridge when I replaced all the hardware back in 1993.

You really oughta clean that guitar up a little....

:-)

For kicks, you can send those pics to Walter Carter at Gruhn's.

$50 gets you a written dated appraisal on Gruhn letterhead.

Very cool piece, and you have alot of history with it.

Congrats!

She's all cleaned up, I snapped the shots after retriving her from a friends studio I had left her in for a couple of years for safe keeping. I litterally opened the case and started snapping away.

I plan on taking her to a local Luthier I have been talking to so he can open her up give her a good cleaning out and we can photo doc as he appraises her. He only charges $25 for the appraisal, but it does sound much easier to just send the photos to Walter Carter at Gruhn's and pay the $50 for the convenience rather than driving the 100 miles... though if I go to my guy I can check out Ace Frehley Les Paul's that this cat is working on, he's also working on a couple of Billy Duffy's Les Pauls, would be nice to check them out! :-k

your an incredibly lucky man!!thats my dream guitar 69 custom.are you sure those knobs are original? i thought 69s had witchhat? anyway beautiful

I have been very lucky when it comes to the axes I play and have accumulated over the years. I give thanks to the axe god every day by making sure I play at least one of them! =D>

lol you know your 69's, yes she came with the "witchhat" knobs which I replaced back in 93 with the speed knobs.

I still have the originals just can appreciate errr... ummm... larger #'s when I look down. :-s

thats in really good shape for its age' date='the finish checking looks badass!! has to at least be worth 8,at least!! hows the tone and is the neck super fat? im green with envy lol [/quote']

Surprisingly she is in fairly good shape for what I have put her through! (see photos below)

Her tone is rich and tight, she's very articulate. I'm thinking of getting something closer to the original T-tops that were in there and taking out the Dimarzio's. The neck is fatter than the 60's style neck I have on my 07' 1968 RI LPC, but too be honest they feel almost the same to me.

I have plans to have her properly appraised but think I will wait until after the elections when the market and economy start making a come back!

69bb09-Copycopy.jpg

69bb05---Copy-copy.jpg

Archived