Gibson Brands Forums

Picking up new SG G400 Cherry tomorrow

cherryepiG400

Okay, New to the forum have been viewing for about 2 months, but finally created an acct. I'm picking up a brand new Epiphone SG G400 Cherry tomorrow (Had to order it). I'm Wondering what all i should check before taking it out of the store, i'm unsure as it is my first electric. I've been playing acoustic for about a year and a half so i know a little bit about guitars now (a very little bit, most of which has been learned in this forum). all help is greatly appreciated.

thanks

Okay' date=' New to the forum have been viewing for about 2 months, but finally created an acct. I'm picking up a brand new Epiphone SG G400 Cherry tomorrow (Had to order it). I'm Wondering what all i should check before taking it out of the store, i'm unsure as it is my first electric. I've been playing acoustic for about a year and a half so i know a little bit about guitars now (a very little bit, most of which has been learned in this forum). all help is greatly appreciated.

thanks[/quote']

Look it over real good - get a new set of strings

play it for a while

get your goodies

maybe a new case?

Take it home and stare at it for hours depicting every little nook and crannie inside and out and ....

you get the picture.

Enjoy Your New Guitar!

Okay' date=' New to the forum have been viewing for about 2 months, but finally created an acct. I'm picking up a brand new Epiphone SG G400 Cherry tomorrow (Had to order it). I'm Wondering what all i should check before taking it out of the store, i'm unsure as it is my first electric. I've been playing acoustic for about a year and a half so i know a little bit about guitars now (a very little bit, most of which has been learned in this forum). all help is greatly appreciated.

thanks[/quote']

Welcome to the forum CherryEpiG400.

Here's some suggestions that may be a little more help:

Play several different G400s, unplugged. Hear which one resonates the best acoustically. This the one you want.

Try them plugged in as well.

Look over the entire body for scratches, dings or marks of any kind.

Run your hand down the sides of the fretboard to check for any fret ends that may be sticking out an might hurt your fingers when you play later on.

Try to see if you can tell if the frets are in good shape. Check to see if they are all installed at the same height (level).

Make sure there are no indentations of any type on the tops of the frets (dents, cracks)

Look at the tuners. Are they mounted securely? No backlash in the gears? Are they mounted flush with the headstock?

Make sure the output jack is tight. Make sure all the knobs are in good condition.

Look at the pickups. Are they in securely? No corrosion. Also look at the bridge and tailpiece to see if they are installed securely (solidly).

If you find one you like, make sure you get a good amp, cable, tuner, strap, pick (optional) and take her home and crank it up!

cool thank you for the fast replies and the welcome. The guitar is the only one that will be in the shop, actually i don't even know if it's there yet, cause they haven't called me to let me know its in. i ordered it 2 weeks ago and it was supposed to be in yesterday. It's a small shop and the only epiphone dealer in town. They have a G310 in stock and a G400 lefty but no right. the amp has to wait a month but everything else will be tomorrow. How do i know if i'm buying a quality cord, and what style tuner should i pick up? i have a qwik tune tuner right now, that can be plugged into an electric.

I just did a trade over the weekend where I swapped my old 2006 MIM standard Strat for a 2009 Vintage style faded G-400 along with a Vox VT-15 which was a nice bonus. After doing a slight setup , I'm amazed at how great this guitar sounds. IMO, it's much better than the overpriced Gibson faded SG series. Mine is Cherry red and I'm now considering getting the one in faded Brown.

just wondering if anyone knows the best way to get a guns and roses

sound out of my setup, especially november rain.

I'm using a roland cube 30X and my Sg G400, if not thats fine

just thought i'd ask and see if i get any results. Every other

site i look at says for a marshall amp, and has a presence setting.

I don't understand what that means.

just wondering if anyone knows the best way to get a guns and roses sound out of my setup, especially november rain

I'm not completely sure about November Rain, as I do not have my own computer right now, but Slash would often use the "Woman Tone". To achieve this, use your bass pick-up and roll off the tone control. This will create a tone like "Sweet Child O Mine".

Okay, New to the forum have been viewing for about 2 months, but finally created an acct. I'm picking up a brand new Epiphone SG G400 Cherry tomorrow (Had to order it). I'm Wondering what all i should check before taking it out of the store, i'm unsure as it is my first electric. I've been playing acoustic for about a year and a half so i know a little bit about guitars now (a very little bit, most of which has been learned in this forum). all help is greatly appreciated.

thanks

first thing id check is the neck straight.

epis are notorious for twisted necks. ive got 5 and four had to be reajusted

just wondering if anyone knows the best way to get a guns and roses

sound out of my setup, especially november rain.

I'm using a roland cube 30X and my Sg G400, if not thats fine

just thought i'd ask and see if i get any results. Every other

site i look at says for a marshall amp, and has a presence setting.

I don't understand what that means.

I also have a G-400 and play through a Fender Frontman 65R and a Zoom John5 Signatures series effects processor. To me, using the Zoom, allows me to get just about any tone that I want. I'm a huge fan of AC/DC and also love early Guns n' Roses, especially anything from their Appetite album. I would suggest that you go and get yourself a effects processor. As far as your amp goes, I've never played through a Roland Cube but if you're going to consider getting a Marshall, do yourself a favor and stay away from the MG series. You could also ignore getting a effects processor completely and get yourself a Peavey Vyper 75 combo amp along with the Sampera Footswitch, which you'll need. The Peavey Vyper IMO, is the best Solid State Modeling amp out there today and is louder than hell!

Hey thanks for the reply's everyone. The neck was checked before leaving the shop along with everything else, There are a couple finish flaws but i really don't care it's still a fantastic guitar. I wish i could afford a marshall stack but they are around $2000 here. The roland was a choice of 2 amps and i got one heck of a deal on it so it was the one i went with. The second choice was a peavey vyper 30 which i may purchase next year. Until then i'm looking at buying a couple stompboxes to get the effects i'm after. The effects processor sounds like the way to go for me right now, but how much is it?

I just picked up a new Dot that hadn't been off the truck more than 4 or 5 hours at the music store.

Basically I tried to figure if I really felt comfy with the neck overall, were there any buzzes or major flaws. I don't think there's such a thing as a "perfect" guitar finish, etc., because humans are involved.

I'd half-ordered the thing anyway; told the guy how I play. By the time I drove the hour or so to get there, he'd had the action lowered a bit.

I've played a little longer than some, and after a cupla hours of getting my fingers blackened from the factory strings, I'm increasingly happy with the thing.

But - the store guy knew if I wasn't happy with the neck, he could almost give me the thing and I probably wouldn't take it out of the store.

As for tuners. <chortle> Ever try a pitch pipe instead? Oops. I'm old. Seriously, I got a little Korg from MF for $20 or so and I have one on a multi-effect box. But the pitch pipe works if there's not a lotta noise around and it doesn't need batteries.

m

Archived