Gibson Brands Forums

A Gibby Les Paul I carried on my Sub in navy, I cannot ID it!

animalfarm

Accidentally found this following pic. I will shortly be looking thru all my

Navy pics for more, in the hopes of ID-ing what I had. I bought it from another

Sailor who was divorcing for $125.00. Year was about 1986/7. Took it all over world

on sub as something to do while underway. Sold it before packing

up all my goods for 2 month trip of goods back to USA. Didn't trust it would still be

there when goodies arrived. Some of my stuff DIDN'T make it, so who knows?

It appears to have a split-coil toggle switch, but I cannot make out truss rod writing.

Any thoughts on what this is/was? I'm already kicking myself over potential value and

not still having it... [cursing][cursing][cursing]

Any thoughts?

100_0623.jpg

Depending on the year of the guitar, I'd venture a guess to be a LP Artisan. I know they made them back in the 70's with coil tap, and some with active electronics as well.

Nah, the LP Artisan has a fancy headstock inlay. Just looks like a late 70's-early 80's standard with added toggle to me. It COULD be an LP Deluxe that had been routed for full sized 'buckers but, the pickguard usually doesn't line up that well on those.

I'd say it's a Les Paul Classic.

There used to be quite a few in that colour but that switch...

Either custom or very close to the one that Gibson built for Slash with the Fishman Powerbridge (the only thing that would differ is the placement of the switch).

But of course, the Slash Les Paul came 20 years after that picture...

I'd say it's a Les Paul Classic.

The Classic was introduced in 1990 or so, so his picture would predate the model. I think it is an early-mid 80s Standard - probably not that old at the time - with the pup covers removed (or aftermarket pickups), a coil tap installed and a tuner upgrade.

That was an absolute total steal what you paid for that even for then.

Can't help with the ID but I feel your pain...read my sig under "Dear Departed!" [crying]

Yeah, I hear ya. I used to have a 1953 Goldtop that I bought in 1988. Sold it in 1994 for a good profit, but not for anything near what they were going for at the peak before the recession.

The Classic was introduced in 1990 or so, so his picture would predate the model. I think it is an early-mid 80s Standard - probably not that old at the time - with the pup covers removed (or aftermarket pickups), a coil tap installed and a tuner upgrade.

That was an absolute total steal what you paid for that even for then.

Yeah, I hear ya. I used to have a 1953 Goldtop that I bought in 1988. Sold it in 1994 for a good profit, but not for anything near what they were going for at the peak before the recession.

I hate to rub salt in our wounds but the other day I ran across an add for the Chicago Music Exchange which featured a '57 Les Paul Goldie in mint condition...the asking price was....$110,000 Yankee Dollars. Oh, it came with the original case,though. :rolleyes:

That's more than likely a deluxe with the pickup cavities routed out for humbuckers... It's hard to say what pickups those are... Nice guitar... I would say that would sell for about $1500 - $1700 in today's market... A very nice player.. But not necessarily a collector's item.. Do you remember if the Gibson on the headstock was painted or inlayed... It looks painted to me... But the photo is not clear enough for me to say for certain..

That's more than likely a deluxe with the pickup cavities routed out for humbuckers... It's hard to say what pickups those are... Nice guitar... I would say that would sell for about $1500 - $1700 in today's market... A very nice player.. But not necessarily a collector's item.. Do you remember if the Gibson on the headstock was painted or inlayed... It looks painted to me... But the photo is not clear enough for me to say for certain..

I took the copy in my computer and blew it up as large as I could,

the darn headstock just "happens" to be at the poorest possible

angle... BUT, The word "Gibson" is faint, and appears to be Gold and

painted rather than a nice. clean, easily readable inlay.

I feel pretty sure I would have taken more than just ONE pic, I

was a Guitar Nut back then, too. Looking thru the Navy pics sure

brings back memories! [thumbup][thumbup][thumbup]

I appreciate all the inputs, thanks!

animalfarm, I'd bet a pound of (used) coffee (grounds) on the Standard. The switch would have been for phase, not coil tap, I believe, at that date, but YMMV.

Now, who can find an AD from back in that day with the right pic, eh? Who's the better pack-rat? Not me, I've been divorce-hosed. [cursing]

Archived