Gibson Brands Forums

'66 j-50

jefleppard

Is that marijuana leaves growing in the front? [blink]

Anyway, there should be a serious jail term for the person who refinished that. I think you should go and play it, get a better look. How come stuff like this never shows up on Calgary Kijiji? The pickguard looks legit.

Hard to tell a whole lot without eye balling a guitar but it looks righteous. The price seems OK considering the refinish alone devalues the guitar 50% to 60%. Just make sure you can live with the thin neck.

If you go look at it you might practice up on the tune "One Toke Over the Line"

One thing that I noticed right off the bat was the binding. It looks like a lot of layers for a j-50. Looks more like the binding on the SJ I used to have. The rosette looks a little suspect as well. Pickguard looks straight. That refinish is painful to look at.

The binding caught my eye too but I think the bad burst refinish makes it stand out more than usual. Here's a pic of Gil's 1956 J-50. Binding looks to be consistent. I know the year is off but.....

Jeff, what is the update on this? I'm dying to know! If you buy it and you end up hating it, let me know. I'd still love to have one of those skinny necks, even tho' the thing looks ghastly.

post-16-027997800 1282506727_thumb.jpg

played it this morning. definitely has that classic gibson honk. reminds me of a mellowed aj. intonation sucked though. it went wrangy after the 5th and would need a retune with a capo. not much saddle height and action a wee bit high. that leads me to think a neck set is not far off. i passed. the re-finsh was odd - looked like watercolours with a gloss finish.

Archived