Gibson Brands Forums

Bands that never relased a bad album?

dem00n

I didn't know they went on without them. I'll have to give that one a listen, can't be as authentic, though.

That one and the 'Greatest Hits' were probably the result of a contract obligation. They got back together (without M & M) and it's no good. Mathus should just keep going with the Knockdown Society. I don't know if you've heard Whalen's newer stuff, but you'd never guess it was her. In a good way.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well played

[wink]

That one and the 'Greatest Hits' were probably the result of a contract obligation. They got back together (without M & M) and it's no good. Mathus should just keep going with the Knockdown Society. I don't know if you've heard Whalen's newer stuff, but you'd never guess it was her. In a good way.

This is all news to me, and it's good news. After Squirrel Nut Zippers I lost touch with what any of them were doing. I'd love to Hear Whalen doing some other styles, and it's the first I've heard about Knockdown Society. Got lots to check out now, thanks.

Given their length of time on the scene I would say The Rolling Stones. Yeah

grant it, anything post the Mick Taylor era doesn't seem that great when

compared to early stones or especially that amazing era from 1968 to 1972 but

I will give you some amazing records post 1972 that if you compare to any

music today it sounds amazing (Goats Head Soup, Some Girls, Tattoo You,

Voodoo Lounge).

I can't really defend Undercover but a band that puts out so many

great albums deserves one "mistake".

I'll go CharlieBrown...........

The Beatles B)

Of course there was Yellow Submarine.......

And Beatles for Sale

And large chunks of Magical Mystery Tour

And the least said about parts of the "White Album" the better...Ob-La-Di, Ob-La-Da anyone?

And is that 'long medley' on the flip side of Abbey Road really all that great? Even if one ignores the fact that Side A boasts Maxwell's Silver Hammer?

...But The Band that never released a bad album? Easy: The Band.

band_mfbp_back.jpg

[wink]

This is all news to me, and it's good news. After Squirrel Nut Zippers I lost touch with what any of them were doing. I'd love to Hear Whalen doing some other styles, and it's the first I've heard about Knockdown Society. Got lots to check out now, thanks.

You might dig Andrew Bird as well. He played violin on Hot and Perennial Favorites. His first two albums are very SNZ (Mathus and Whalen appear on a few tracks of 'Thrills'), his subsequent releases are kind of ...different. I appreciate his differences though, he's doing something uncommon. Tom Maxwell also released a solo album that featured most of the Zippers, it's called 'Samsara'.

Archived