Gibson Brands Forums

50s vs 60s necks

Stephen5

To me it really depends on the general style of music or particular song your playing...I find the 50's necks easier for technical picking and slower solos that demand clear articulation. For fast runs etc; I go to the slim-T 60's. I'm probably more comfortable with this because I have average sized hands and finger length. I would logically assume larger hands with find more comfort and less fatigue with a 50's chunker and on the contrary, smaller hands would like the feel of the slim taper. Prefered string gauge is going to be a factor as well.

• Haha 1

I disagree, PedlR. I have short fingers, but thinner necks fatigue my hands much faster than a thicker neck. Of course, accuracy of hitting the correct fret may be comprimised a bit more with a thicker neck, but that is the advantage of being a hack player...no worries about wrong notes!!! [tongue]

I guess that just proves the point of physical preference...I seem get more fatigued on 50's necks. Muscle memory has to definitely play a role along with thumb placement.

• Confused 1

Where on earth did you find this neck camparison illustration. I've never seen one.

There are quite a few comparison charts on the net.

There's a great one showing the differences between all the Fender necks; Soft-Vee, Hard-Vee, '57, '64 etc...etc...

There are quite a few comparison charts on the net.

There's a great one showing the differences between all the Fender necks; Soft-Vee, Hard-Vee, '57, '64 etc...etc...

You know, since you said that, It is very interesting all the hits one can find about the necks on the internet.

I've never really thought about that till now. Again, cool info. Thanx.msp_biggrin.gif

• 9 years later...

I bought my first Les Paul new in 1974 . It was a Deluxe . It had the most dramatic taper I’ve ever seen from super Small at Peg-head up to Super Fat at Body . I kept it 45 years but never really liked the upper part of the neck . I in all over the years have owned at least 50 Les Pauls . Between the 50s and 60s Profile necks , I prefer the 60s Profile . I have medium size hands . Up at the Body they 50s is to Fat for me to Reach the 6th String well . There is just to much wood . On the 60s neck when I play up next to the Body I can Reach the 6th String Perfectly . There was an exception to this . I had a 1958 Les Paul JR . And the neck on it was Great all the way up to the Body . Even though it was a 50s neck it did not get to fat up at the Body . I play all 22 Frets equally and like to be able to Reach the 6th string comfortably all the way up to the 22 Nd Fret . I have been Playing Guitar 58 years . 48 of those years I’ve played Professionally. Hope this info helps some one . 

I don't just prefer the baseball bat necks, I don't get along with the slimmer ones at all. What bugs me though is how different four different 50s necks will be. They're hand carved and some are nearer to a 60s than a 50s. I bought a 50s Les Paul Standard and had to sell it  because the neck was too small. I just didn't bond with it at all. 

My 2010  LP  Custom is supposed to have an inbetweener neck and yet it has a full-on baseball bat which I love, as does my LP Special. 

6 hours ago, IanHenry said:

I have guitars with both types of neck, I've got a 2014 Traditional with a very big neck, it doesn't really bother me, I find I adapt to the different sizes within a few minutes. 

That's me now.  I used to like thin necks like the "modern slim taper D".   Now I really don't like those at all.  They're thin but to me they feel like they have thick shoulders which, to me, makes feel wider if that makes sense.  My favorite are the R0 V2 necks but the ES-339 I recently got has a thick neck like a '59 but it doesn't feel really any different to me than the V2 necks because it has soft shoulders.  It wasn't until I actually measured it that I realized how thick it was.