Gibson Brands Forums

G310 or G400

traynorblue

I have seen a handful of SG's like what you are describing that were 80's era.

Probably just another marketing exercise from Epi management back then.

Or maybe a deliberate and obvious distinction between the Epi's and the Gibby's.

Is this a new guitar or an older one?

Any chance you remember the serial number from the neck plate or back of the headstock?

If it has the Epiphone logo on the front of the headstock and there is no serial number anywhere on the guitar or if it is on a white paper label on the back of the headstock it is almost cetainly an 80's Epi.

Pictures always help to get the forum members help when identifying an odd duck.

There were also some LP "Standards" from that time with flame tops block inlays and top binding that had bolt on necks. To some this is just plain sacrilege.

Somebody on the forums was asking about one of those recently.

If there are new models like what you describe I haven't seen them in Guitar Center or other Epi retailers.

A couple of pics

That looks like a set neck G-400. Who told you it was a bolt-on neck??? A bolt-on neck would have a pocket that recesses into the body like this G-310:

23_01.jpg

Notice the neck mounts at the 19th/20th fret. Your photos show the neck mounting on the last fret like a G-400:

24_01.jpg

Thanks everyone, the kid selling it told me twice it was a bolt on neck. I though I was going crazy, I was sure it looked like a set neck. He had no pics from the rear. I guess he doesn't know what a set neck means. His loss my gain, it's worth $100 more than he's asking. His price is for a 310. Wooo... i'm now an Epi SG owner. Cheers and thanks again, Chris.

Thanks everyone, the kid selling it told me twice it was a bolt on neck. I though I was going crazy, I was sure it looked like a set neck. He had no pics from the rear. I guess he doesn't know what a set neck means. His loss my gain, it's worth $100 more than he's asking. His price is for a 310. Wooo... i'm now an Epi SG owner. Cheers and thanks again, Chris.

Either I am misunderstanding, or you are.

$310?? You can get a brand new one for $350. It's not worth a hundred more than he's asking. That would be $410.

I'm not so sure he's the one being fooled here.

Either I am misunderstanding, or you are.

$310?? You can get a brand new one for $350. It's not worth a hundred more than he's asking. That would be $410.

I'm not so sure he's the one being fooled here.

I think he's saying he's getting a G-400 for the price of a G-310, not $310.

Archived