Gibson Brands Forums

Les Felder....Felder Paul

ZenKen

Phil X says the Hotel California solo is one of his favorites. They aren't all that bad. Listen to the rhythm work in Already Gone

Yes Already Gone is a great song (although that particular live version is not my favourite take on it by a long way!). I love the studio version.

One of several big Eagles songs that were not written by any of the Eagles (It's one of Jack Tempchin's and Rob Strandlund)

I like the Eagles and love Joe Walsh.

They've written some great songs.

But, What has Don Felder done for the advancement of the guitar?

He's not Jeff Beck is he?

As for the comment on have I got my name on a guitar.

Stupid comment!

You asked initially what Felder had done special. Now thats the stupid question.

Now you wanna know what he's done for the advancement of the guitar?

Also I made no comment about your name on a guitar I was simply giving you a reason he was special.

I Really Like The Eagles. Emphatically and Unapologetically!

It seems as though most people do, and so I was a little confused as to why Dub's post appeared timid and apologetic.

As much as I hate to admit it, I do like The Eagles. I think they're horribly overrated (and I also sincerely believe that they lack balls,) but I still like them. At least, I like a few of their songs. I really, really, really like "Desperado," "Wasted Time," "In The City" and "Take It Easy." I don't like "Hotel California" (although that's mostly because I hear it almost everywhere, and I still don't really follow what's so damn impressive about it,) and I don't like "Life In The Fast Lane." Most of the rest of what I've heard from them I'd classify as just "OK." So no, I don't hate The Eagles. I just don't love 'em. What I miss from them is something really distinctive about their music--there's nothing that I think of as special in any of the guitar playing I've heard from them, and their "eunuch cowboy" vocals don't do much for me either, and their rhythm section is just "meh," I think. I also don't care much for how sappy some of their music gets. At the same time, I have great respect for them all and see them as incredibly talented, although (and I will get flamed for this, I know it) not ambitious in the least.

"Overrated" I can agree with. But they're great songwriters and outstanding performers. Their harmonies are perfect form show to show, their songs are very eclectic. Most people focus on their "Peaceful Easy" stuff, but they really rock out a good part of the time. And their live show's are like seeing 4 shows in one. You get the Eagles, Joe Walsh, Don Henley, and Glen Fry since they spot light each others solo work throughout the show.

"Overrated" I can agree with. But they're great songwriters and outstanding performers. Their harmonies are perfect form show to show, their songs are very eclectic. Most people focus on their "Peaceful Easy" stuff, but they really rock out a good part of the time. And their live show's are like seeing 4 shows in one. You get the Eagles, Joe Walsh, Don Henley, and Glen Fry since they spot light each others solo work throughout the show.

Oh, there's no question: they're incredible songwriters and entertainers--I just feel like, when listening to an Eagles song, I can't immediately tell (unless I already know) that it's an Eagles song. Some people like performers to be incredibly versatile--I like versatility, but I also like performers to have distinctive styles. I can always tell a Johnny Winter song from a Gary Moore song. With The Eagles, I just...well, perhaps they're a little too versatile for me? I know it sounds weird, but that's just how I feel about it.

...Maybe I haven't listened to enough Eagles records. I have four of them on my iPod and I listen to them with some frequency.

If I was still gigging I'd love to include 'Already Gone' in the set-list.

There's a really odd bit of lead-work - just a couple of 'squeaks' that crops up each verse - that always makes me giggle. It's like they sneaked it in as a joke to see if anyone is paying enough attention.

Check it out on headphones if you doubt me!

For some reason the hate word gets thrown around a lot when some of you guys speak of artist that you have no connection with.

The Eagles have a lot of material. Some good, some bad and some great.( my opinion of course)

I think they were great song craftsman. They labored over just the right song lyric (Henley) and their harmonies and musicianship were both top notch.

I lost interest when Frey and Henley became the egotistical corporation they railed against for years.

Maybe it's my age but I find something I can learn from and use from just about every musician I've ever heard.

I'm not a fan of Judas Priest or Black Sabbath but I've never hated them and admire much of what they've accomplished.

Oh, there's no question: they're incredible songwriters and entertainers--I just feel like, when listening to an Eagles song, I can't immediately tell (unless I already know) that it's an Eagles song. Some people like performers to be incredibly versatile--I like versatility, but I also like performers to have distinctive styles. I can always tell a Johnny Winter song from a Gary Moore song. With The Eagles, I just...well, perhaps they're a little too versatile for me? I know it sounds weird, but that's just how I feel about it.

...Maybe I haven't listened to enough Eagles records. I have four of them on my iPod and I listen to them with some frequency.

You don't have to like them. No one's gonna make me like George Thurogood or John Mayer, and I'm not going to listen to their entire catalog just to make sure.

[lol]

There isn't one Eagles tune you like? BLASPHEMY!!! [scared]

Not really. I've listened to a lot of their stuff, because "The Eagles are one of those amazing groups, blah blah blah." I tried, I really did. When I started playing guitar, there are those virtuosos that, if you are a guitar player and you don't like em, you aren't a real guitar player, you know what I mean? How people say that stuff?

I listened to em, I respect what they do, but its like Clapton (now, not the old stuff, don't rip yourselves a new asshole) It's too generic, I can't get into it. I actually like the solo on Hotel California, but that's about it.

Get over yourselves

Archived