Gibson Brands Forums

e-bay sellers: how can they sell for so much less?

woodnhands

Hi,

I have been checking out ebay for a CS-336/356. I saw several listings of recently made guitars (2008-2010) offered at incredibly low prices. From their profiles, the sellers looked to be experienced guitar sellers; many had customer satisfaction ratings of 100%. The guitars were described as mint, excellent+, like new, etc., and the photos seemed to support the description. One recent example -- opening bid price on a 2010 CS 356 with Bigsby (generally advertised on the web at the dealer discount price of @$4100 (MSRP @ $5400)) was $2500, and the wining bidder got it for that price. It was described by the seller (who has sold many guitars and received glowing reviews from customers) to be in mint condition and it sure looked that way from the photos. There were several other high end Gibsons offered at prices well below the prices available from Gibson-authorized dealers, and, I would think, at prices below what the dealers themselves would have to pay for them. Often the e-bay sellers provided a return policy of 3 to 7 days. What's going on? These sellers aren't all selling at a loss. Why should I even think to pay retail when like-new (or close enough) guitars are availabe for so much less? Specifically, I would love to get a CS 359 with Bigsby. Why pay an authorized retailer over $4,000 when I can get one for @ $1,000 less from an ebay seller with an excellent reputation who has a return policy?

Please post a link to these too-good-to-be-true eBay sales. There are lots of very convincing forgeries and Chinese knock-offs out there so be very wary before buying something that seems to good to be true. If in doubt post the link here so the 'experts' can have a look at it.

The CS-536 I was referring to sold last night, so the link is gone. The seller has a great reputation. The posting included a picture of the serial number and the Gibson documentation showing the same serial number.

Here is one -- reputable seller, great deal -- he/she can't be selling at a loss!??

http://cgi.ebay.com/2010-GIBSON-CS-356-CUSTOM-FLAME-TOP-w-BIGSBY-CHERRY-/360296003107?pt=Guitar&hash=item53e350b623"]My link[/url] -- The buy it now price is 3395 (700 less than a new one), but he seller might accept less (see "best offer")

I don't suspect the sellers. I just wonder how they can get these gems at prices that permit them to sell for so much less than retail.

Probably factors like:

No store front costs to cover

No Warranty

Less profit, so relying on volume sales etc

I am sure there are a lot of genuine Gibson sellers on ebay.

It gets a little more tricky with 'new' Fenders as they can easily be put together by builders using genuine Fender parts. The bolt on neck makes this easier to do. You can buy just about any Fender parts including decals, case candy etc. There are quite a few people doing this and selling them as new Fenders. Many have never seen the inside of the Fender factory, but they are pretty decent.

I would probably be banned for life (by Henry himself) if I published the dealer cost price brackets on their own website :-# , so I won't, but....

Gibson "authorized" retailers are restricted (by Gibson) on how much they can discount off MSRP, so even the "street price" is set by Gibson, and those who violate these policies risk losing their franchise. Gibson dealer regulations changed a few years ago and they have gotten very strict and proactive in governing retail sales practices and inventories (that's what wiped out all the mom & pop stores), but, private sellers can do anything they want, for they are not a direct customer of Gibson.

There is PLENTY of profit built in to MSRP, and even at "big box store" advertised discount prices there is still plenty of money to be made. I can tell you that even at the BIN prices from the posted links there is profit being made, even if he did "buy" them new on some sort of an under-the-table agreement from a dealer. I suspect that this is really a dealer skirting Gibson's restrictive retail pricing regulations, and creating his own "black market" for new Gibsons. Times are rough, everyone's trying to figure out how to pay the bills. In the retail business sometimes it takes some creative marketing to stay alive.

Now that you called this guy out on Gibson's own website, the seller AND his dealer will probably be shut down and the franchise revoked. Couldn't you have just bought yourself a guitar and kept quiet. There's always one kid in the class that ruins it for everyone :-" .

woodnhands, pretty much what Larry & cookieman said. If you don't care about the warrantee, buy a guitar off eBay and save a ton of cash. Just buy it from a reputable dealer and not some guy with 0 feedback. The warrantee's worthless, anyways. Modify the guitar in anyway and the warrantee is null & void.

Larry - How does asking a legitimate question constitute "calling someone out?" Do you really think that Gibson wouldn't know about offers being made on ebay if it's something they are concerned about? As far as I know, ebay is there for God and Henry to see. Interesting light you cast on the sellers, as if they wer doing something untoward.

KL has it;

There's low to no overhead if you're selling for yourself,

Typically you pay the shipping ( and often on eBay they can soak a little more out of you, and pocket the rest of what you paid to ship it)

No warranty or face to face coverage or support other than the return policy they offer on a personal level (usually on eBay you get your money back AFTER you send it back to them at a cost to yourself)

They also aren't typically selling brand new, just new new so the cost of the guitar will decline a little.

Also, some, not all, sellers on eBay can offer "too good to be true deals" it's best to avoid them sometimes.

Though, a popular eBay sales tactic is to list a hot item at $1 and watch the bidding go nuts on it.

Hope this helps!

I recently bought a new-in-the-package gold Gibson Nashville bridge. On the back there was a price sticker of $91.

I got it for $42 plus $3 shipping via a guy on Ebay (who had tons of good feedback).

Dunno if it was bought from a store that had gone bankrupt or what --- though the seller had lots of guitars and accessories for sale and as sold items viewed through feedback.

Nonetheless, I was surprised and happy at the price I got the bridge for.

Archived