Gibson Brands Forums

SG Junior reissue

euclid

New to Gibson guitars I currently own and play a new Melody Maker. I have always loved simple guitars and since I'm new to playing I was doing a search on the net for the SG Junior and saw where it was a reissue but was fairly recently discontinued. I remember Jake E. Lee playing one when he played with Ozzy and loved the sound he got out of it. (I realize that he was probebly running a bunch of effects and different amps through it) I was wondering if Gibson is considering bringing the SG Jr back especially in light of the 50th anniversery of the SG coming up next year. If Gibson were to reissue it and price it competivly I along with a lot of other would buy one. Working musicians are always looking for a quality well made mid-price guitar to gig with.

wow 78 views and no responses. I was kinda hoping the Gibson CEO would take a look at this post and then send me an SG JR LOL wishful thinking on my part. In all seriousness though I did see were Musicians Friend did sell this model till about around 07 maybe early 08 before it was discontinued and was hoping someone on the forum might have heard something to the effect that this model may be started up again.

• 1 month later...

I too am REALLY wanting an SG Junior. There is just something about the single P90 and the stop bar tailpiece that gets my motor running. I wouldn't even care if it was issued in a "faded" type of finish. I saw these just as they went out of production a few years back and was never able to snatch one up. C'mon Gibson make em'!!!

I'd even buy two!

Check out these vintage SG Juniors. Some of which appear to be in mint condition:

http://www.vintageguitars.net/products/dispProd.cfm?id=186667

http://www.vintageguitars.net/products/dispProd.cfm?id=186461

http://www.vintageguitars.net/products/dispProd.cfm?id=186572

I strongly encourage you guys to check out the rest of the SG's on this page:

http://www.vintageguitars.net/products/searchProds.cfm

One the finest collection of vintage SG's I've ever seen! msp_thumbup.gif

I just wish they would reissue the early '60's juniors! i prefer how these look compared to the full batwing pickguarded version.

For some reason I really dig the batwing style guard of the late 60's ones. Gives it that Townshend-ish quality some how for me.

They should have came back out with these instead of the highly acclaimed Firebird X...

Just my thought.

They should have done a LOT of things instead of the Firebird X, but I won't go there. Suffice to say that after reading the Firebird X, Dark Fire, Dusk Tiger, and Robot threads - I was glad that I have a regular old SG that I can tune myself, that won't be DOA unannounced when I pull it out of the case, or retune itself to Q-flat minor in the middle of a gig.

They should have done a LOT of things instead of the Firebird X, but I won't go there. Suffice to say that after reading the Firebird X, Dark Fire, Dusk Tiger, and Robot threads - I was glad that I have a regular old SG that I can tune myself, that won't be DOA unannounced when I pull it out of the case, or retune itself to Q-flat minor in the middle of a gig.

You know it can do ALOT more then just tune it self. [-X

And yet, even with the all the bullsh!t they threw in it, it still doesn't even compare to a good old Les Paul or SG. dry.gif

Thats what you think.

But there are still many happy people who love the high tech guitars.

Its like Muscle cars vs imports.

Whatever man. You go play with your electronics, I'll play guitar.

+1 on that. That is what is so great about SG Juniors...one pickup, one cord, one amp and pure bliss. No frilly doo-dads and complicated electronics to get in the way of good guitar playing.

Those are pretty cool. But I don't think they sell em' in the US.

Yes you are right, it would be great to see more of them in the US

I've played them for the last 20yrs

They are real workhorses for pros

Stable necks and inhouse wound pickups

All kinds of finishes...... :rolleyes:

:-({|=

• 3 months later...

Listen up good people. I use to play a 60's SG junior many moons ago and it was peerless. Fantastic tone, light, great clarity, the dogs bollocks in fact.

I recently bought a reissue SG junior (made in the eighties I think) and it was NOTHING like the original guitar. It was heavy, muddy, absolutey none of the natural resonance that the original model had.

I deeply regretted the purchase and ebayed it later on at a profit. Avoid these I say.

The new Gibson Melody Maker with the slug type pickup is in fact much closer to the sound and feel of the original SG Junior. Slightly too thin perhaps as an all rounder but I imagine that the dual pickup version (now discontinued) would be a very close approximation. Though I heard they discontinued the dual pickup MM because it was outselling the les paul junior.

That's my twopence.

Archived