Gibson Brands Forums

Playing Upside-Down Guitar

Beasty513

Yeah, I was wondering why a leftie anyway if you're gonna play it as in "Cotton Picking" a la Elizabeth Cotton. The song "Freight Train," for example, was done that way as I understand it. Just a right-hand guitar played left handed and the thumb did the trebles.

m

I played in a band with a guy who played right handed guitar. Mid song he could flip it around and play it left handed. He could do leads and chords either way.

He was a lefty who learned on a right handed guitar flipped around, and then decided that the guitar was already a left handed instrument so he learned to play it the common way.

Anyway, it would blow my mind when he flipped it and played just as well up-side-down and backwards. As a sax player, I preferred when he played it right handed style, because I couldn't recognize the chords when he flipped the guitar (I never told him that though).

Insights and incites by Notes ♫

You know I have often thought that using your dominant hand on the fret board might have been a better way to learn, but at this point I think it is too late for me.......

Interesting Blackie. I'm left handed yet have always played the guitar right handed. It just made sense to me to use my dominant hand on the fretboard. Maybe that's why I ROCK! B)

Interesting Blackie. I'm left handed yet have always played the guitar right handed. It just made sense to me to use my dominant hand on the fretboard. Maybe that's why I ROCK! B)

.........and why I only use like 2 fingers for lead and bend strings backwards........I coulda been somebody.......I coulda been a contender.........no I just never learned the best methods..........I watched some of Arlen Roths video's and when he said you need to play this chord like this and use this finger for this or it will cause a lot of problems later...........well I am that guy.

Hmmm. Catch with the right hand and throw with the right hand?... Actually, forcing your brain to use your non-dominant hand and becoming proficient with it, is good brain aerobics. I think, otherwise, we'd all be throwing banana peels at each other. Shoot, I do that already proficiently anyways... :ph34r:

Same here. I write with my left hand and do most other things right handed. I'm best at throwing and catching a baseball both with my right hand so I suck at baseball because I have to catch with my left hand.

Well I'm a true lefty. Throw left, cut my steak left, kick the dog with my left foot (easy PETA...just kidding). When I started playing it was a conscious decision to use my left had on the fretboard. Heck, I thought all the Beatles were lefties (easy Duane, that's not a political statement) B)

Archived