Gibson Brands Forums

That cant be true..can it??

invasion

Is it true the Epiphone Ultra's quilted maple top is a decal under the clear coat ??

See this on the leave a review on the ultra page on the gibson website.

If true that really is a shame [thumbdn]

Am prettty sure it's a thin real wood veneer and not a decal.

Is it true the Epiphone Ultra's quilted maple top is a decal under the clear coat ??

Why is it a shame??? A quilt top is cosmetic, it ain't gonna make you play any better or sound any better. It's a bling thing. So you got this guitar, and you think it looks great. Until some jerkweed comes along and tells you it's photoflamed, not real veneer. Now all of sudden it doesn't look as good??? It's a great guitar, so stop obsessing and play it 'till your fingers bleed.

Besides, this genius who knows so much about the construction of the guitar says I warn you that the maple (quilted top) is just a decal under the lacquer... He seems unaware that it has a poly finish, not lacquer. Yeah, I'd trust his assessment over Epiphone who claims it has a Quilted Maple Top.

Why is it a shame??? A quilt top is cosmetic, it ain't gonna make you play any better or sound any better. It's a bling thing. So you got this guitar, and you think it looks great. Until some jerkweed comes along and tells you it's photoflamed, not real veneer. Now all of sudden it doesn't look as good??? It's a great guitar, so stop obsessing and play it 'till your fingers bleed.

Besides, this genius who knows so much about the construction of the guitar says I warn you that the maple (quilted top) is just a decal under the lacquer... He seems unaware that it has a poly finish, not lacquer. Yeah, I'd trust his assessment over Epiphone who claims it has a Quilted Maple Top.

Well to me it would be a shame, and because I will be the one paying for it, thats all that counts. I would like it to be real wood or veneer, but a decal would just be horrible. I know none of this is going to make me or anyone else play better, but how it looks is important to me, and everyone else I know.

Put it this way. When you go into a guitar shop the thing that first pulls you towards a guitar is looks. even if it is not a conscious thing we are all guilty of it.

The other thing is, if it was a decal who knows how it would look in a few years to come? what if the poly finish got chipped would it affect a decal or how would UV light affect it over time?? at least you can repair veneer how would you match a decal??

When and if I get one, you can be sure I will play it alot. Maybe not so much that it will make my fingers bleed, but I will play it.

The guy that made that made that comment, no I didn't belive him hence my title "That Cant be true..can it"

Well to me it would be a shame, and because I will be the one paying for it, thats all that counts. I would like it to be real wood or veneer, but a decal would just be horrible. I know none of this is going to make me or anyone else play better, but how it looks is important to me, and everyone else I know.

Put it this way. When you go into a guitar shop the thing that first pulls you towards a guitar is looks. even if it is not a conscious thing we are all guilty of it.

The other thing is, if it was a decal who knows how it would look in a few years to come? what if the poly finish got chipped would it affect a decal or how would UV light affect it over time?? at least you can repair veneer how would you match a decal??

When and if I get one, you can be sure I will play it alot. Maybe not so much that it will make my fingers bleed, but I will play it.

The guy that made that made that comment, no I didn't belive him hence my title "That Cant be true..can it"

You don't even have one and you're obsessing about it. Sheesh... You say looks are important to you, then read what else Tony wrote:

It even has the looks! With a cherry sunburst finish on a quilted maple top; and with gold hardware this guitar is a head turner!

He rated it a 9 out of 10. But you're NOT going to buy it based on a review of an anonymous reviewer who says:

it sounds great, feels great, and looks great...

Photoflaming has been done for decades without problems, it's a time tested process. Probably half the guitars you think have beautifully flamed tops are actually photoflamed.

Buy it, don't buy it, doesn't matter to me. What I was trying to impart to you is that the quilt is cosmetic, if you like the way the Ultra looks then it looks good, right???

If it bothers you... don't buy it.

If you like it... buy it.

Chances are pretty good that you'll die before all those flames

are gone anyway... even a simple stone that you stub your toe on

will outlast you or me...

That simple.

You don't even have one and you're obsessing about it. Sheesh... You say looks are important to you, then read what else Tony wrote:

It even has the looks! With a cherry sunburst finish on a quilted maple top; and with gold hardware this guitar is a head turner!

He rated it a 9 out of 10. But you're NOT going to buy it based on a review of an anonymous reviewer who says:

it sounds great, feels great, and looks great...

Photoflaming has been done for decades without problems, it's a time tested process. Probably half the guitars you think have beautifully flamed tops are actually photoflamed.

Buy it, don't buy it, doesn't matter to me. What I was trying to impart to you is that the quilt is cosmetic, if you like the way the Ultra looks then it looks good, right???

To be honest with you all I have done is this.

stumbled across the Ultra thought it was a very nice guitar that maybe at some point I will get. while I was having a quick look at it I noticed that some guy that I dont really care about states it has a decal for the quilted maple top. So I think ok that cant be true but Ill ask on the forum these guys will know..after all that is what this is all about learning.

Then some guy (you) comes along and says I am obsessing and assumes I have the guitar already ( I dont remeber saying that to be honest)

Now as far as I know I haven't been continually thinking about the ultra and it hasnt been preoccupying my mind to a disturbing extent.

So if you would care to explain why you insist making this stuff up and implying things..not very friendly is it??

To be honest with you all I have done is this.

stumbled across the Ultra thought it was a very nice guitar that maybe at some point I will get.

Great, get it...

...at some point I will get. while I was having a quick look at it I noticed that some guy that I dont really care about states it has a decal for the quilted maple top...

Fine, don't get it...

So I think ok that cant be true but Ill ask on the forum these guys will know..after all that is what this is all about learning.

Which is why I told you the guy is probably wrong, but even if he's right it doesn't matter because it's just cosmetics.

Then some guy (you) comes along and says I am obsessing and assumes I have the guitar already ( I dont remeber saying that to be honest)

Now as far as I know I haven't been continually thinking about the ultra and it hasnt been preoccupying my mind to a disturbing extent.

So if you would care to explain why you insist making this stuff up and implying things..not very friendly is it??

I took the time and trouble to answer your question, and that's not friendly enough for you???

All I said in the original post was:

It's a great guitar, so stop obsessing and play it 'till your fingers bleed...

In other words, it's a great guitar, don't worry about it and enjoy it. Sorry you found that objectionable.

And no it's not a shame that guitars are made with photoflame. Do you want is a shame???

People in their 50s who have worked all their lives and have been laid off with no prospects.

Families losing their homes.

Children going to bed hungry every night.

Americans dying because they lack health care.

Corporations destroying our environment.

Politicians using fear to motivate idiot America.

Racial Prejudice.

Religious intolerance.

[smile] [smile] [smile] Have a Nice Day!!! [smile] [smile] [smile]

Friendly enough for you???

I don't care what anyone says, Jerry ... I love you! Besides, who says we have to be "friendly" in here all the time? This reputation we have for being the "nicest guitar forum on the net" is coming back to bite us in the a$$ lately! [cursing]

Invasion: All anyone has to do it actually look at one of these guitars, move it around a little and you will see that there is NOT a photo-flame or decal on the Epiphone Les Paul Ultra. The quilt moves and changes with the light ... it has depth and dimention. I'm not saying it is a mile deep, but the veneer top on this guitar is actual quilted maple.

Since I'm just another jerk-wad on the internet giving his opinion (even though I think I should score points for actually OWNING the flippin' thing), here is a link to an actual review of the guitar:

http://www.epiphone.com/news.asp?NewsID=375

...and here's a couple of pics of my Ultra:

Sany0091.jpg

Sany0086.jpg

Go find one, play it and examine it ... and don't believe everything (anything?) you read on the internet ... especially in guitar forums!

Jim

I don't care what anyone says, Jerry ... I love you! Besides, who says we have to be "friendly" in here all the time? This reputation we have for being the "nicest guitar forum on the net" is coming back to bite us in the a$ lately! [cursing]

Invasion: All anyone has to do it actually look at one of these guitars, move it around a little and you will see that there is NOT a photo-flame or decal on the Epiphone Les Paul Ultra. The quilt moves and changes with the light ... it has depth and dimention. I'm not saying it is a mile deep, but the veneer top on this guitar is actual quilted maple...

Go find one, play it and examine it ... and don't believe everything (anything?) you read on the internet ... especially in guitar forums!

Jim

I think that's what I told him, but you said it in a much more friendly manner!!!

I think he objected to my use of the word obsessing. All I meant was don't get bogged down in small details, play the guitar and enjoy it. I didn't really want his fingers to bleed - HONEST!!!

I think that's what I told him, but you said it in a much more friendly manner!!!

I think he objected to my use of the word obsessing. All I meant was don't get bogged down in small details, play the guitar and enjoy it. I didn't really want his fingers to bleed - HONEST!!!

The thing I objected to was the way your view is the only view and how you seem to want to force that upon me.Yes I want, and value your opinion, and all the other members opinions. Then i can take all of this and make a more informed decission of my own.

To me if it had been a Decal or a Photflame that would be a "shame" meaning "A cause for disapointment"

I now know that it is a wood veneer, and that is great. This also avoids a cause of disapointment for me.

Now we get to the word "obsessing" now to me that would mean that the Ultra's top was preoccupying my mind to a disturbing extent, it wasnt. I just wanted to know if what that guy had put was true? Because I didn't know, and you can't believe everything you read on the net.

Now the list of things you call "A shame"

To me those are a little more than a shame they are devastating meaning "Highly Destructive or very distressing or shocking"

I am not 15 year old boy sitting in my bedroom -no disrespect to any of the younger members intended- I am 37 year old father of two and have been married for 17 years. So I don't really need a list of things that are devastating to people. I have had enough things in my own life and the lives of friends.

I think it is a real shame that one simple question has come to this. now I am big enough to say I may of taken your meaning the wrong way or read it in a more abrupt manner than you intended, which is easily done. If I have done this I appologize but please dont try to give me a life lesson or patronize me or if i dont agree with you.

You are entitled to your opinion but by the same token so am I. Now lets put this behind us and move on with no hard feelings [wink]

I agree. Let's move on, this is too small an issue to get caught up in.

I too own an Ultra 2. I've had the pickups out of mine and can tell you it does not

have a decal. It is veneer. And it is beautiful. And it plays better than the Gibby's I played at the time I bought it. The fit and finish is great. Not a flaw on it.

It is one of my go to guitars, and I will not be tempted to sell it easily.

I agree. Let's move on, this is too small an issue to get caught up in.

I too own an Ultra 2. I've had the pickups out of mine and can tell you it does not

have a decal. It is veneer. And it is beautiful. And it plays better than the Gibby's I played at the time I bought it. The fit and finish is great. Not a flaw on it.

It is one of my go to guitars, and I will not be tempted to sell it easily.

It is a nice guitar I am glad that guy got it all wrong [biggrin] about it being a decal!

something about this guitar makes me really want it. I going to have a look on wednesday see if shop has one. what is it like with the Vox VT 15 you have?? like the look of this amp would appreciate your views on it.

Now the list of things you call "A shame"

To me those are a little more than a shame they are devastating meaning "Highly Destructive or very distressing or shocking"

I am not 15 year old boy sitting in my bedroom -no disrespect to any of the younger members intended- I am 37 year old father of two and have been married for 17 years. So I don't really need a list of things that are devastating to people. I have had enough things in my own life and the lives of friends.

I think it is a real shame that one simple question has come to this. now I am big enough to say I may of taken your meaning the wrong way or read it in a more abrupt manner than you intended, which is easily done. If I have done this I appologize but please dont try to give me a life lesson or patronize me or if i dont agree with you.

You are entitled to your opinion but by the same token so am I. Now lets put this behind us and move on with no hard feelings [wink]

+1

Lighten up Jerry.

The thing I objected to was the way your view is the only view and how you seem to want to force that upon me....

I've never tried to force anything on you. You sounded upset in your first post, like you bought the guitar and felt cheated. So I tried to alleviate your concerns by telling you that the guy didn't know what he was talking about, and that even if were true, it doesn't matter it's a great guitar so don't worry about it, just enjoy it. Here's the message you found so objectionable:

I wasn't forcing anything on you, I was giving you a pep talk!!!

Well, it's Labor Day, so I'm going to throw some Brats on the grill. Them Brats are sure tasty, but I really don't want to know how they're made!!!

Now we get to the word "obsessing" now to me that would mean that the Ultra's top was preoccupying my mind to a disturbing extent...

I wasn't using it as a clinical diagnosis, just my way of saying don't get hung up on the small details and miss the larger picture.

... even a simple stone that you stub your toe on

will outlast you or me...

That simple.

Explain.... maybe, maybe not... ashes to ashes, fun to funky....we are stardust...

matter is neither created nor destroyed, only changing form.

All of Epi's fancy flame or quilted maple tops are veneers of real fancy maple on a standard piece of maple.

The guy came and asked a question because he read something he didn't believe and wanted to know whether it was true. It's not true, why can't we just simply give the answer and leave it at that.

Hi Invasion,

Thanks for the email and the post.

The Epiphone Ultra/Ultra-II top is real wood (not decal). It is a thin quilted maple veneer over a mahogany body. We have never used a decal or "photo-finish" type process for ANY of our wood tops.

Thanks again,

Jim Epi

Archived