Gibson Brands Forums

First Guitar leason week 1.

Justiful

i totaly agree with oil axl was the greatest before the guns breakup in 96'

That band was so ******* incredible.

But it took the whole band to get that magic that they had, Velvet Revolver sucks, and so does the new "Guns n Roses".

It's tragic they broke up.

By the way, I think you are real lucky... You have a great guitar teacher.... He is really going to town!! He gave you a lot of work on your first lesson but it will pay off. You must have a lot of ability for him to have given you all that right off the bat...

And using the same chords (one less actually) - "Can't You See" - Marshall Tucker Band - D, C, G over and over again. Learn to use your fingers instead of a pick for this one - and most of the little licks just involve hammering on to the notes in the chords. Have fun. (Underrated Les Paul picker alert... Toy Caldwell)

toy_best_redux.jpg

My next leason is on monday. I am gonna ask more quistions on theory it was all kinda much for the 1hr on thursday. Don't understand what makes chords major' date=' minor, or 7th. [/quote']

Learn the major scale.

The pattern goes: W W H W W W H

W stands for whole tone, or move two frets higher.

H stands for half tone, or move one fret higher.

The easiest way for a beginner to learn and understand the major scale is to learn C Major.

Find C on the fretboard (A string, 3rd fret). Play W W H W W W H starting on C and you will play the C Major scale.

The notes you will hear are C D E F G A B C.

Now take the notes of the C Major scale and assign numbers to each letter.

C D E F G A B C

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

A major chord is made up of 1 3 5........C E G. That's it, that's the formula...1 3 5.

If you dissect the C chord your instructor taught you, you'll see that you're only playing C E G.

Minor chord. It's almost the same formula as the major scale, but instead of C E G, you play a flat E.

Flat meaning one fret lower.

7th. Play the C chord. If you want to play a C7, you need to add a flat 7th note of the scale, which is B flat. (G string, 3rd fret).

This applies to every major scale. You might get confused when sharps and flats come in, but just take it slow and let your brain absorb it.

Hope this helps.

Read it over a few times, it'll make sense sooner or later.

Keep it up. You already know more than most of us! :-k I thought there were only three chords.

"ch-o-rd-s"? what the hell are you talking about man... you are scaring me! :-k

Really... for a first lesson this guy has taught him a lot, dont you think?

A major scale is made up of 1 3 5........C E G

He means' date=' a major [b']chord[/b] is made up of 1 3 5 (1st, 3rd, and 5th notes of the major scale).

An excellent and concise explanation of basic chord theory, Tim. Well done. That should be sticky too!

An excellent and concise explanation of basic chord theory' date=' Tim. Well done. That should be sticky too! [/quote']

Tim has taught me most of the theory I know. I helps a lot as I learn to play lead on my '07 Les Paul Standard :-k.

+1 on the sticky!

Archived