Gibson Brands Forums

First Guitar leason week 1.

Justiful

I had my first guitar leason on Thursday. For those that don't know I bought a gibson les paul robot to learn on. Anyway It went well, my instructor is from florida has taught players in many big bands, like The outlaws (only one i really knew well, but I dont listen to older music.) He also worked for disney for 20 years in florida. He looks about 60 something, and has been playing proffesionaly since he was 11. He retired to Idaho 2 years ago when his wife died from a drunk driver, to be closer to his daughter. Ron apengar or apengan or something like that is his name.

Anyway, Basicly first leason started out with him giving me 13 chords to work on, and the pentatonic scale. In addition to a modified chromatic scale.

Kinda alot, So far its saturday and I can play all the chords, easily enough, but switching from one to another is kinda hard to do. The pentatonic scale I can do position one in 100 bpm, But haven't worked on the others, Modified chromatic he gave me I can do in 100bpm.

The 13 chords I can play include 6 majors, C F G D A E. and 3 minor Dm Am and Em. four 7th chords C7 F7 G7 B7

My next leason is on monday. I am gonna ask more quistions on theory it was all kinda much for the 1hr on thursday. Don't understand what makes chords major, minor, or 7th.

Right now until thursday im trying to memorize all the positions without looking at the book. Monday is more or less a 1hr lesson on theory and making sure im playing everything correctly. So I have quite a few days still to get it all.

He modified some of the chords fingerings from the basic ones the book outlined so i have to practive both ways. Like the G chord, he wants fingers 213 and 324 fingerings used. Says its important latter.

Anyway, It is ok, but the chords don't sound like music persay all by themselves, I like the pentatonic scale because it at least sounds like something.

Anyone know any easy songs using those chords i named above, like just 2-3 of em used. nice and SLOW? Practicing them by themselves is kinda boring.

Ill make another post after my leason on monday. oh and my guitar is in my comment.

good job man

now skip eating' date=' sleeping, drinking, school, work, haninging out time, and family guy-watching time, so you can practise[/quote']

I have a sleep disorder, I don't have school or work im 24 medicaly retired from army. I saw all family guy episodes already, and I am combining eating drinking hangingout time into 1 slot.

Oh and thanks for those chords. fixr

I have a sleep disorder' date=' I don't have school or work im 24 medicaly retired from army. I saw all family guy episodes already, and I am combining eating drinking hangingout time into 1 slot.

Oh and thanks for those chords. fixr[/quote']

sleep apnea? (excuse me if I spelled it wrong)

I have a sleep disorder' date=' I don't have school or work im 24 medicaly retired from army. I saw all family guy episodes already, and I am combining eating drinking hangingout time into 1 slot.

[/quote']

hahaha

damn

I want to butcher people when I hear Eddie Sing!...It grates on me almost as much as Axl Rose.

Who told these clowns they could sing?

Even if you don't like his voice, you can't say that he can't sing.

He is a beast.......WAS a beast.

greatest front-man of all time.

Even if you don't like his voice' date=' you can't say that he can't sing.

He is a beast.......WAS a beast.

[b']greatest front-man of all time.[/b]

Hardly, Roger Daltrey, Mick Jagger, David Lee Roth are all superior to EV. Maybe if dude took the marbles out of his mouth...

Hardly' date=' Roger Daltrey, Mick Jagger, David Lee Roth are all superior to EV. Maybe if dude took the marbles out of his mouth...[/quote']

NOOOOOOO, I wasn't talking about eddie.

I was talking about Axl, HE is the best.

Err maybe second best, behind jagger.

If you want to find chords for songs it's easy. Go to any search, type the name of the song and the word "tablature" after it and you can find more stuff than you'll ever be able to remember. Some of it's good and some of it sounds bad but at least you'll have a starting point.

NOOOOOOO' date=' I wasn't talking about eddie.

I was talking about Axl, HE is the best.

Err maybe second best, behind jagger.[/quote']

whoa, whoa, WHOA!! Axl is faaaar from the best frontman ever. I won't go so far as to definitely say who is, but my vote is for Mr. Robert Plant. And so as not to hijack the thread and take it in a totally different direction, congrats to the man from Idaho on starting down the road to guitar stardom. Nice choice on the axe (though I probably would have gone with one that I had to learn to tune myself, but cool none the less) you'll be rocking in no time.

whoa' date=' whoa, WHOA!! Axl is faaaar from the best frontman ever. I won't go so far as to definitely say who is, but my vote is for Mr. Robert Plant. And so as not to hijack the thread and take it in a totally different direction, congrats to the man from Idaho on starting down the road to guitar stardom. Nice choice on the axe (though I probably would have gone with one that I had to learn to tune myself, but cool none the less) you'll be rocking in no time. [/quote']

Robert Plant is good.

Not even close to Axl, but I didn't say best singer ever (though he does have a hell of a voice) I said best frontman.

Every single night he went out and put on a great show.

The best ever might have been going too far.

Mick Jagger, Freddie Mercury, Jim Morrison (maybe)

Other than that he is the best.

And so as not to hijack the thread and take it in a totally different direction' date=' congrats to the man from Idaho on starting down the road to guitar stardom. [/quote']

My hat is off to you!

Rock on Dude!

Seriously,

I used to turn the radio to my favorite rock station and try to keep up with whatever came on.

Pick out the bass line and root notes, and go from there. See if I could get the song down before it ended.

Structured lessons were never my thing.

Of course, I can't play for sh!t....

Archived