Gibson Brands Forums

Modern Air Travel

heymisterk

I just booked a flight to Albany, NY. The price to fly from my home in Cleveland to Albany was $310. The price to fly from Pittsburgh - the airport is only about 90 minutes away from work, where I'll drive from - was $150. I booked that. Funny part? I fly from Pittsburgh to Cleveland...to connect with the flight to Albany that was $300. On the way home, I fly from Pittsburgh to Washington D.C., then on to Cleveland. Gotta love the efficiency of modern air travel.

Any other travelers out there have a wacky story like this?

Use LOTS of foot powder in your shoes before the flight.

When they make you pull off your footwear, ignore the look on their faces when it goes everywhere.

White footprints on the carpet...

[thumbup] B)

I'd sooner walk in the rain than fly commercial - and I'm a pilot myself.

I just booked a flight to Albany, NY. The price to fly from my home in Cleveland to Albany was $310. The price to fly from Pittsburgh - the airport is only about 90 minutes away from work, where I'll drive from - was $150. I booked that. Funny part? I fly from Pittsburgh to Cleveland...to connect with the flight to Albany that was $300. On the way home, I fly from Pittsburgh to Washington D.C., then on to Cleveland. Gotta love the efficiency of modern air travel.

Any other travelers out there have a wacky story like this?

The price of air fare between Cleveland and Albany was a big reason one of the major banks in this area moved their HQ to Cleveland a few years ago.

Albany has been cited as one of the most expensive airports in NY to fly from, as well. Not to mention having to change flights often. (One of the reasons my Sisiter and her family drive from Cleveland to Albany, rather than flying, when they come to visit.)

So when my wife and I fly to visit the in-laws in the SF Bay area, we'll drive to Boston, stay one night in a hotel with a park & fly plan, leave the car there for a week, and take a direct flight between Boston and SFO. That round trip, right now, should run about $450/person.

$64.00 will get you on the Lake Shore Limited. Might take more time, but what a view!

I LOVE Amtrak, except for the antiquity of US equipment and rails.

Anytime anyone brings up high speed rail give it a thumbs up. [thumbup] We are due for modern travel in this country. Its time to drag this country's rail travel out of the dark ages of the 19th century into the 21st century! If we ever do it will be the end of crowded air ports and surly carriers who act like they are the only game in town.

I used to fly 3-4 times a month in the olden days.

Not after '95 and they started getting really funky in airports and put even international flights "no smoking" and then everybody started coming down with respiratory problems from peanut dust, germs and other gork that wasn't being circulated because using outside air cost extra fuel to heat it.

Even let my passport expire. Changed jobs.

Watching my Mom going on various visits told me the fun of flying is long gone.

m

I hate to say this, but I think in 45 years I've only had about a month's worth of travel that was not work related. OTOH, I really enjoyed many of the trips. But if you're in Vegas working from 0800 to 0100 the next day for a week... who cares where it is? <grin> Ditto one trip to Miami where I was three days of meetings in an airport hotel and never left the place except to fly home.

OTOH, Rio, Seoul, Duesseldorf, Amsterdam, Brussels, Paris and such trips did have some fun "free" time.

m

I just booked a flight to Albany, NY. The price to fly from my home in Cleveland to Albany was $310. The price to fly from Pittsburgh - the airport is only about 90 minutes away from work, where I'll drive from - was $150. I booked that. Funny part? I fly from Pittsburgh to Cleveland...to connect with the flight to Albany that was $300. On the way home, I fly from Pittsburgh to Washington D.C., then on to Cleveland. Gotta love the efficiency of modern air travel. Any other travelers out there have a wacky story like this?

It's absolutely wacky how flights are priced - the direct non-stop flight is usually more expensive. The multiple stop flights, cover way more miles, use more fuel, use up more paid hours (flight crews, ground crews, etc) - but they're cheaper. [unsure]

Anytime anyone brings up high speed rail give it a thumbs up.

We are due for modern travel in this country.

Its time to drag this country's rail travel out of the dark ages of the 19th century into the 21st century!

NOT to be confused with Light Rail in metropolitan areas.

Evidently "Light Rail" is a code term for pissing away billions of everybody's dollars for something nobody will ride.

Southwest Airlines (a company I've always admired) KILLED high speed rail in Texas - where it would have worked GREAT!

[cursing]

I spent some time in the UK, they were griping about the break-up of their passenger rail service.

Still, it's a great method of travel.

The US should indeed develop interstate high-speed train service.

Mag Lev is where it's at, baby! [thumbup]

Just curious, all the maps I've seen show regional bullet trains from say Chicago to St.Louis and KC, etc. But the ends of the lines come within, what seems to be, a scant couple hundred miles of being a continuous coast-to coast rail network. I am befuddle as to why that is.

Archived