Gibson Brands Forums

Starting 14 Weeks of Guitar Lessons today!

ShredAstaire

Yeah I hate tab and have a real hard time getting anything out of it unless i have the song playing along...i'm actually excited to learn standard notation...

You'll love notation. It's just so much more "musical" than tabs IYSWIM, and it works for all instruments (because next up is learning another instrument, yes? ;)).

When I was a kid we learnt standard notation in the music classes at school, playing a recorder and eventually some other instruments. This was in Norway, I don't know how it is in other countries(?)

DJ

--

I have got to take lessons myself, a month ago I felt I was making good progress and felt confident.

Then I had a couple of personal health setbacks and since then is as if somebody punched me in the gut and knocked the wind out of me.

Right now I can't lay a single track, get through a song or short solo without screwing up, even rhythm seems to have left my body!

I am just now getting back on the saddle but I need some structure, the trick is to find a good teacher and although there should be a ton in this town it gets tricky to find a teacher in the style of blues and rock.

My issue is that anyone can give lessons.

Qualifications? Know how to play something more advanced than "Smoke on the Water"?

So, how do I pick a good teacher? That's the question.

I'm spending a lot of time on theory, these days. I'm learning to play the same chords all over the neck.

I think "music" is where it's at, regardless of the instrument.

I know a LOT of chords, and I can learn to play a lot of songs, but that doesn't mean that I understand music very well.

Qualifications? Know how to play something more advanced than "Smoke on the Water"?

I do not have that concern since the lessons are with the Royal Conservatory of Music....my teacher has over 60,000 playing hours logged! He also teaches the advanced Improvisation class there.

If you have a conservatory in your town/city, i'd say go for that...i wanted to make sure i was being taken care of for sure.

I do not have that concern since the lessons are with the Royal Conservatory of Music....my teacher has over 60,000 playing hours logged! He also teaches the advanced Improvisation class there.

If you have a conservatory in your town/city, i'd say go for that...i wanted to make sure i was being taken care of for sure.

Awesome!

I don't have the luxury, though. I spend my time traveling the world on drilling rigs, where civilization is hours away, at best.

If I could do it all over again, I'd have stuck with music when I was still in school.

So, how do I pick a good teacher? That's the question.

I'm spending a lot of time on theory, these days. I'm learning to play the same chords all over the neck.

I think "music" is where it's at, regardless of the instrument.

I know a LOT of chords, and I can learn to play a lot of songs, but that doesn't mean that I understand music very well.

Teaching Music isn't one of those things you can bluff, either you have it or you don't. Not everyone can teach either, keep in mind. Some people could set a guitar on fire with their playing but can be useless when it comes to teaching.

Picking a good teacher requires talking with them and finding out what they can offer you, if they can't offer you something you want to learn move on to someone else.

I used to feel like lessons had nothing to offer me either, then I started going to them, boy was I wrong. Even if it's just someone to jam along with or bounce ideas off of it's worth your time.

Teaching Music isn't one of those things you can bluff, either you have it or you don't. Not everyone can teach either, keep in mind. Some people could set a guitar on fire with their playing but can be useless when it comes to teaching.

Picking a good teacher requires talking with them and finding out what they can offer you, if they can't offer you something you want to learn move on to someone else.

I used to feel like lessons had nothing to offer me either, then I started going to them, boy was I wrong. Even if it's just someone to jam along with or bounce ideas off of it's worth your time.

So, what do you say? What do you ask? If you know little of music, how do you know you're getting your time's worth? (forget the money, the time is the real issue)

I know a lot of people who play in successful bands, yet couldn't teach anything without tab.

"Practice these songs, and you'll be able to play them."

Truth.

However, no one learns music from such teachers. We just learn how to play certain songs, with no understanding of why these notes, chords, etc. were chosen.

Fair enough, I see what you mean about not knowing if you're getting your time or money's worth, I guess some of it goes on faith. The same can be said about any type of school really, though a bad teacher could make up history, it's a lot harder to pretend to understand the cycle of 5ths!

Yeah I signed up for the Beginners class so I can actually learn proper stuff...going back to basics and erasing old bad habits (hopefully) and learning new things to help get me out of my rut...

Tonight will be boring...."This is called the headstock" etc...but i'm gonna put on my game face and learn everything I can!!!

I am following your lead....I start back into some lessons this Thursday. How are your lessons going?

Nice! Good luck with your lessons!

My 2nd lesson is tonight....last week was a bit of a cluster as most first days are with a classroom....a lot of time spent on intro's and getting to know you stuff...we learned a few riffs but that was about it. Tonight is when it should really start...looking forward to it!!

Nowadays the big issue is whether to learn to read music...any comments?

Chet Atkins once said he could read [thumbup] just enough music to not hurt his playing!

Archived