Gibson Brands Forums

Switch from 11's to 9's

Blackie

I have been trying to dial in this maple SG for a while, I messed with the rod and action with 10's. Then went to 11's.....meh

Now I straightened the neck and put 9's on it.......the dam D string is buzzing out open.....so I put a piece of cig pack cardboard in the nut.......all seems good.....not cool.........anyway here is the guitar being played.......

......one of my computers rebooted during the recording...[cursing]

th_Drukblackvideo1121.jpg

I use DR TiteFit 9s. They're my favorite.

When I bought my Tele it was strung with 11s with the wound g and everything. I hated them. They were hard to play and I didn't even like the way they sounded. I put some Ernie Ball regular slinkies (10s) on it and set it up to my liking and it's much better now but I think I'm still gonna go down to 9s next time. I have it tuned to open g right now though and the 10s are nice for that.

I did the 9-42 years ago for anything electric - except I waited too long to make the switch on the Jazz box.

I think a lot has to do with how one plays. The 9-42 certainly play more easily IMHO. In fact, I think they play more easily than the 8-38 I've worn on the SG type since the 1970s.

I just finally found some acoustic 9-4X somethings to swap out for the 10s. I don't care that much for silk 'n' steels on an EA, so...

m

I've always used 10's. I find that anything lighter I overbend. Also, I find that different makes bend differently. The strength in your hands is the deal maker. If you work in an office your hands most likely won't be as strong as a manual worker. Try squeezing a rubber ball when watching tv etc. That'll build the strength up in your fingers.

I think a lot of "overbend" also has to do with the geometry of the player to an individual guitar. On the SG with my 8-38, I don't really have a problem, but I also have to be more aware of how I hold the thing compared to other guitars or I bend whether planned or not.

Oddly on a Dot, I find the strings in root position simply seem closer together. Hmmmm.

m

This is not about being able to bend strings......I have massive hands and can bend 11's fine. It is about the overall feel and flow of the guitar.......I want as low action with zero buzz as possible when amplified clean and I am also dealing with the all maple aspect of this guitar. I have 9's on my SG Standard and that guitar seems to flow no matter what gauge I put on it and sound good.

OH and in case you want to hear it with the 9's click the picture in my first post

that is not apparent sometimes

Well...

I don't have massive hands... <grin> But I think Blackie, you nailed it in terms of "flow" with the relatively lighter strings.

My problem isn't strength to bend, but with those 8-38s getting the proper geometry so I do NOT bend the darn things. When the hand is hitting the strings straight down that particular guitar just sings. If not... it sounds out of tune...

The string gauge isn't always the determining factor for me trying to get "flow." I've found that, especially as a fingerpicker, I have to position different guitar shapes differently even if they technically have the same scale and nut width in order to feel that I'm playing the same thing on different shapes. If that makes any sense. <grin>

I don't think I can explain, though, why I prefer 9-42 on most of my electrics and the 8-38 on the SG...

m

I just recently ('bout 3 months ago) switched to 10's from using 9's all my life. I find them just fine to bend to the extreme, and the tone is very solid. I think I was overbending with 9's and didn't realize it when I played onstage. You're all pumped up and it's easy to get carried away. With 10's it "feels" just right onstage.

Archived