chord question

jefleppard

The jazz guys would call this either a:

EM7(b3)

E® B(5) D#(M7) G(b3)

or

G6(#5)

E(6) B(3) D#(#5) G®

Larry......you know it is said.....that the difference between a rock guitarist and a jazz guitarist is this. Rock guitarists play 3 chords in front of thousands of people, and jazz guitarists play thousands of chords in front of three people.....lol......ME?, I don't even know the names of any chords, lol. I play by ear, until my ear lobe starts bleeding......

Don't know, but how on God's green earth do you play that?

This got me to thinking ... How do people who keep their thumb on the back of the neck play 332313 (C7) and 323031 (G7), voicings that I use pretty frequently? Seems impossible.

-- Bob

This got me to thinking ... How do people who keep their thumb on the back of the neck play 332313 (C7) and 323031 (G7), voicings that I use pretty frequently? Seems impossible.

-- Bob

Bob, I know what you mean, especially us guys with big hands.....and you know what they say about guys with big hands?????......."Big hands, big gloves"........

Larry......you know it is said.....that the difference between a rock guitarist and a jazz guitarist is this. Rock guitarists play 3 chords in front of thousands of people, and jazz guitarists play thousands of chords in front of three people

OWF, so funny, and sooooo true.

That got me thinking about one of my favorite songs we play in the big band. It's a Count Basie Band number written by Sammy Nestico called "Magic Flea". It's about a 3 1/2 minute song and I play 254 chords (yes I DID count them). That averages out to a little over a chord a second for the duration. If I only got paid by the chord.

Edit, here's the youtube link to the song: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sgEhcWTmMgg

Now that's some crazy stuff. I couldn't play those fingerings on the fly with both hands. I never could use my thumb on the fretboard, it physically does not bend that way.

One of the consequences of being a Rev Gary Davis fan is that you have to learn to cope with the "big C7" and "big G7". Move the C7 up seven frets, hit it hard, and "Okay, that's a RGD tune alright!"

-- Bob R

Em Maj7

more easily this way -

e - - - - -

B - - - - -

G - - - - -

D 1 - - - -

A - 2 - - -

E - - - - -

ah. i was already using it - i just didnt know it. i love this voicing. it has such a broken ring to it. i like ending songs abruptly with it bec it sounds like you're throwing a glass against a wall. sort of.

thanks to all for replying. i was counting on the jazz boys to weigh in.

Archived