Gibson Brands Forums

Machine head problem

AlanH

Hi Folks,

The high E tuning peg on my Epi LP Studio deluxe is slippy so I contacted Gibson Europe for a replacement. I specified that I needed the Kluson style (which feature on the deluxes) but they sent out Grovers twice, then a Gibson Kluson style (different size and colour), before sending the correct one at the fourth attempt.

However, now I notice that the plastic peg on the new tuner is not pushed fully on to the metal shaft by about 4 or 5mm. I can see the gap where it should have gone down to when I hold it to the light. The tuners will look misaligned if I install it 'as is' so I was wondering whether there is an easy way of pushing the peg flush without damaging it.

I guess I'm still entitled to ask them to send yet another machine head but I'm not confident that it won't take them a further 4 attempts to get the correct one.

Anybody have any tips on pushing the plastic peg flush without over-forcing and causing damage to it?

Thanks in advance.

Alan

This may stupid as hell and might be downright wrong,

BUT:

On turning in woodscrews into really HARD wood...

some people run the threads of the woodscrew

through a dry bar, of plain handsoap.

That dry soap on the threads acts a lube and

the screw goes in really easy then.

Perhaps a little soap on the device may

help it go in better ?

"just a thought"

CHEEKS

There is a way to repair this. You have to have a powerful soldering gun. A pistol type is preferred for this job.

You may want to remove the tuner from the headstock to prevent burning the wood.

You have to work quickly; heat the shaft and push the knob on. The knob is made of plastic and will melt when the shaft is heated.

After it cools put a drop of superglue into the hole.

Some luthiers will replace the tip of the soldering gun with 2 pieces of heavy wire. 3/32 in diameter. You place the 2 pieces on either side of the shaft, using the shaft to close the circuit.

This heats the shaft very quickly.

WEAR GLOVES!!

By the way, this repair is directly out of a book called:

Guitar Player Repair Guide, by Dan Erliwine.

Thanks Guys,

Note that I haven't installed it on the guitar yet as it came as a replacement part, direct from Gibson Europe last week. The tuner that is still on the guitar is slipping (not caused by by stringing method BTW). Hence why I requested this new one.

Re: the Erlewine method - I only have a cheap soldering iron so I don't really want to buy another one to repair a problem on a new tuning peg. I wonder if there is a quick and easy method given that the peg is already on the shaft but only half way in? Would a hair dryer or fan heater do the trick, or does it not concentrate sufficient heat in the right spot?

If not, I'll probably get back on to them to send yet another machine head and keep my fingers crossed. [unsure]

BTW, like Larry, I'm also confused how to get glue in when the peg is already on the shaft. Is it because there will be a gap between shaft and peg until it cools?

Thanks

Alan

Thanks Guys,

Re: the Erlewine method - I only have a cheap soldering iron so I don't really want to buy another one to repair a problem on a new tuning peg. I wonder if there is a quick and easy method given that the peg is already on the shaft but only half way in? Would a hair dryer or fan heater do the trick, or does it not concentrate sufficient heat in the right spot?

If not, I'll probably get back on to them to send yet another machine head and keep my fingers crossed. [unsure]

BTW, like Larry, I'm also confused how to get glue in when the peg is already on the shaft. Is it because there will be a gap between shaft and peg until it cools?

Thanks

Alan

Alan. Your cheap soldering gun might have enough oomph to heat the shaft enough to melt the plastic tuning button. You might get a bit of discoloration in the shaft though, if it takes too long. I don't think the hair dryer, or heater fan will have enough concentrated heat for this job.

The hole in the plastic button might end up being a bit larger where the shaft goes in. This is where the glue goes in, just as an added bit of security. The superglue is very thin, and will "wick in" easily. Use the glue very sparingly. Maybe 1 drop.

if the ring is tight on the peg take a piece of sand paper and roll it up so it fits inside the ring and turn it till it removes some material do this till it fits. if its ok on the peg but tight in the hole open up the peg hole in the neck using the same method. simple and you wont get burnt or discolor your tuning peg.

Archived