Gibson Brands Forums

Studio recordings

Silenced Fred

So this isn't the "girls I want to plow" thread (that's coming up later), I got studio time through the college on Thursdays from 6-9. I have never gone in a studio to record before, so I was wondering if people had advice. It's me and my friend who drums, might have a bassist soon, and my other friend is gonna run the boards.

Tips, tricks, etc are all welcome

Dont be too freaked out. Accept that recording is totally different from either practicing or playing out live.

Put more effort into performing than producing.

Get it as close to perfect as you can through the raw performance. Studio trickery can only take you so far.

Studio trickery can take you very far! I disagree. This is part of a class? Experiment. Recording is ALL ABOUT

production. Its how much production that is key.

I am very particular about my rhythms, and I want it to be recorded live, with me there, by a real person.

I guess I'm old school like that :rolleyes:

No, you're stubborn. You make do with what you have. If you can get a drummer, GREAT! If not, you use a drum machine or program! Either that, or you have no beat. And not many rockin songs sound good without a beat. :)

No, you're stubborn. You make do with what you have. If you can get a drummer, GREAT! If not, you use a drum machine or program! Either that, or you have no beat. And not many rockin songs sound good without a beat. :)

Yeah I'm stubborn. I mean, I have a drummer, but I refuse to use loops. Maybe I'm stupid, but no way no how.

Either way, its working out. I'll be sure to post more clips when I get them on Thursday. Friday will contain two very important posts from me. No hint to what they are though

There are drum loops and then drum loops.

I bought a couple of CDs with analog drums and they sound pretty good as they are recordings rather than electronically generated sounds. Still cumbersome to program for somebody (like me) without much experience but it is the next best thing to a drummer.

Drum loops keep the beat perfectly well, they play what you tell them to play, they don't drink and most importantly they don't choke on their own vomit.

I have a loop CD called "Drum Tools" and the the drummer for Roxette recorded them. It's an older collection (2002?) but it's solid and it's put out by Sony Acid Pro. There are so many on the market now that you can choose from. Just make sure they're recorded by real drummers if you want that sound, and not machines. I played one of my songs to a producer and he asked me "Who's your drummer!?", when I told him, he was amazed it sounded "real". What I like about it is that it's got plenty of tracks for blues, rock, jazz, country, pop, 6/8 ballads, and more. It's got cymbals, flares, toms, high hats, you name it.

Drum Tools

There are drum loops and then drum loops.

I bought a couple of CDs with analog drums and they sound pretty good as they are recordings rather than electronically generated sounds. Still cumbersome to program for somebody (like me) without much experience but it is the next best thing to a drummer.

Drum loops keep the beat perfectly well, they play what you tell them to play, they don't drink and most importantly they don't choke on their own vomit.

See, I like the drinking and choking on their own vomit. Keeps stuff real. [thumbup]

I don't like perfection, beauty is in the imperfections (that's why my music sucks I guess)

My friend brought over his computer one time and programmed a drum loop on a program called Fruity Loops while I was playing guitar and it was really cool. The he played along too and it sounded awesome. It's pretty cool actually. I prefer playing with a drummer but I'm not opposed to using a loop if it adds something interesting sounding.

I love Radiohead and their use of drum machines especially when paired alongside real drums. You can do some pretty cool stuff.

Also I'm a sucker for unconventional beats and programming lends itself to that quite nicely IMO. For me the means of getting a sound aren't as important as the final product. I'm not opposed to studio trickery either. I hate autotune and stuff but I love good studio work.

You should watch the "Classic Albums" episode about the recording of Dark Side.

Archived