Gibson Brands Forums

How Do I Go About Taking The Knobs Off My SG?

Tman5293

You want to take a t-shirt and work the material under the knob all around it........then in an even manner pull it up and off.

Now to install the pointers you are going to have to open the control plate to be able to hold the pot as you unscrew the nut

and put the pointer on. You will have to take care to align all the ponters and then roll the pots to ten and put 10 on the knob at the pointer.

Do not try and pry up the knob .......it may chip.

One could always very carefully make a black dot with a Sharpie. Or drive a brass headed, wire nail at the proper point. ...

[laugh]. . . [lol]. . . [laugh]. . . [lol]. . . =D>

Oh yeah baby!!

Take out your buck knife and carve a big arrow in the top pointing at "the spot". Saaa..weet. [lol]

Tman5293, I see others have already told you how to do it yourself. I've done this with my 3 electric guitars (Gibson CS-336, Epiphone Sheraton II, and

Epiphone Les Paul Standard). I had them on a Gibson ES-335 I once had and liked that (I wish Gibson would just put them on as standard equipment, as they

make seeing where you're dialed to much easier, especially for us older geezers who are losing our eyesight). :( I didn't want to take the chance of doing

it myself, so I had my guitar tech put them on for me when I had my guitars set up. Saves a lot of headaches, especially if you don't know what you're doing,

like me.

Like it says in the topic title, I want to take the knobs off my SG Special and put these on:

4955_1lg.jpg

4955_2lg.jpg

How do I go about doing this in a safe way?

Archived