Gibson Brands Forums

More About the Epiphone Nighthawk...

Epi1

I got mine today. It plays okay, it feels a little weird but I may not be used to this flat a fretboard, or the action is too high or something. the hardware looks a little cheap. the place where the frets are seated into the binding has smudges and black marks all over it. Fret markers look glued in poorly some places. It's not bad at all, just compared to a 400 dollar agile it's slightly less well put together. The finish otherwise is pretty decent and the wood looks decent.

It's pretty comfortable to play, very thin light and sits in your lap better than an lp.

So all that stuff aside, I think it SOUNDS really great. The humbucker and single coil sounds are all useful. I wouldn't say it's a totally distinctive sounding guitar, but if you're looking for something that's versatile and just plain sounds good, this is a contender.

HNGD tantamo, shame about the finishing issues, I hope you're able to fix them.

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I got mine today. It plays okay, it feels a little weird but I may not be used to this flat a fretboard, or the action is too high or something. the hardware looks a little cheap. the place where the frets are seated into the binding has smudges and black marks all over it. Fret markers look glued in poorly some places. It's not bad at all, just compared to a 400 dollar agile it's slightly less well put together. The finish otherwise is pretty decent and the wood looks decent.

It's pretty comfortable to play, very thin light and sits in your lap better than an lp.

So all that stuff aside, I think it SOUNDS really great. The humbucker and single coil sounds are all useful. I wouldn't say it's a totally distinctive sounding guitar, but if you're looking for something that's versatile and just plain sounds good, this is a contender.

I'm so glad to finally read a review of a delivered Epi Nighthawk!

Thanks for that!

I am surprised that you are having these types of issues..

Mine doesn't have them problems..

Now, the action really is a little higher than I like mine, but all in all, I am happy with mine so far..

Frets and all...

Sorry to here that ...smiley-talk038.gif

• 7 months later...

I've decided that this is my next guitar. I love the coil tapping, particularly because I want humbuckers (I'm loaning an old Squier Strat with singles right now), but I like variety and options. I love the slanted neck PU, and the Fireburst finish is great. I played one briefly at Guitar Center, and LOVED it.

Best part: the price. Seriously, I've seen literally 0 negative reviews for this guitar across multiple sources, and the tonal options, looks, and everything are worth so much more than the cost. Again, As soon as I have enough money so I can lose approx. $400 without starving (I'm in college), this is my new guitar.

It will be mine. Oh yes. It will be mine.

• 3 months later...

I got one - trans amber :) nice looking but: rosewood fretboard!?!?! very thin strings - don't know if that's the only source of annoying noices at EAD. I tried to fix it with TR and bridge but it seems too high and doesn't stop crackling"? The sound is improvement, thinking about the SD 59 replacement humbucker and changing electric for neck-bridge humbucking together. The Singlecoil in the middle is really not replaceable??

but first I have to bring it back to Dresden, searching for one with ebony fb and if possible a better string position.

let's talk about that pleassse ??

I owned three cheap guitars. I know what I want but not what I really get.

I'm sorry talking to you in my bad English.

Greetings from Germany :D

picture is too big :(

picture is too big :(

Welcome to the forums Chris, info on how to post pics without that restriction is in the DIY thread pinned to the top of the Epi Lounge, thanks to animalfarm who created and maintains it.

DIY Thread

Archived