Gibson Brands Forums

More About the Epiphone Nighthawk...

Epi1

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Is there anywhere online to even pre-order these yet?

I've been checking around, but haven't found anyone who's even aware of them yet.

I just received the official announcement in my email this morning, via the Epiphone newsletter. I'm getting excited about this.

http://forum.gibson.com/index.php?/topic/61161-epiphone-nighthawk-custom/

Only problem I have with getting one of these is I'd have to save over 3 or 4 pays to get enough for it and shipping to Oz, saving is not my best suit by any stretch.

They say it's being released globally. No Epi dealers in your neck of the woods?

They say it's being released globally. No Epi dealers in your neck of the woods?

I'd rather buy from the US, Epiphones here cost 3 to 4 times the price that it costs to buy in the US. With shipping, averaging about $120, it still ends up being less than half the price to import one from the US than it costs to buy locally.

I'd rather buy from the US, Epiphones here cost 3 to 4 times the price that it costs to buy in the US. With shipping, averaging about $120, it still ends up being less than half the price to import one from the US than it costs to buy locally.

If your paying 3 to 4 times locally Rastus you need to look around a bit more, you must be in WA or QLD or just plain old stoned to get ripped like that.

I'll get mine locally and support the locals for a bit extra before we dont have any, and have to go OS for a set of strings.

These has also been talks between local importers and Gov about the application of the appropriate import taxes and duties, especially Gibby/Epi and our Fender friends, and I got that from an importer. Theyre getting grumpy and are lobbying together.

If your paying 3 to 4 times locally Rastus you need to look around a bit more, you must be in WA or QLD or just plain old stoned to get ripped like that.

I'll get mine locally and support the locals for a bit extra before we dont have any, and have to go OS for a set of strings.

These has also been talks between local importers and Gov about the application of the appropriate import taxes and duties, especially Gibby/Epi and our Fender friends, and I got that from an importer. Theyre getting grumpy and are lobbying together.

Where do you think Mackay is, you don't seem to know your Oz geography as well as you seem to know everything else.

I'm a pensioner, every cent counts, I don't give a rats @ss about the local importer's bottom line, I worry about mine and I don't buy that buy locally cr@p, that's just a crutch for them.

We've had this discussion before, they worry more about their profit margins, they don't realise that selling more at a reduced profit ultimately benefits them. In Oz they consider 20% as being a large discount and proclaim it to be a huge SALE when they do this, it's laughable, in the US, unless it's at least half price is it's not considered a large discount at all.

I don't care about the economics of selling to 26 million people as opposed to 260 million, so don't even bother rolling that old argument out, I care about my economics, not theirs, I do hope they go broke because of their greed, it'd serve them right.

And I wasn't referring to RRP, but rather street prices. I know of several dealers all over Oz, not just in Mackay, and none of them can even come close to matching the prices I can import them for.

I wish I was stoned, but I can't afford that either.

EDIT: I do buy my strings from the US, at 3-5 dollars a pack it sure beats paying 10-15 dollars here, same brand, same strings.

Man, i'm not crazy at all, but that guitar looks weird, i don't like it so much despite the model, i saw it and i suddendle y thought abou Bon Jovi [tongue] but i don't disagree the guitar looks kinda nice, so, answer my Reply!! [thumbup]

I didn't loke the name, it sounds interesting but.... WHATEVER!!

Man, i'm not crazy at all, but that guitar looks weird, i don't like it so much despite the model, i saw it and i suddendle y thought abou Bon Jovi [tongue] but i don't disagree the guitar looks kinda nice, so, answer my Reply!! [thumbup]

I didn't loke the name, it sounds interesting but.... WHATEVER!!

Well, the name is what it is. We didn't get to pick that.

It's not the most aesthetically pleasing instrument on the planet, either.

I'm attracted to it's tonal diversity, more than to its looks.

I think it's gonna be a winner, sound-wise.

I'll be curious to see if this suffers from neck dive like my Epi G400. I just started playing last June and I want to reward myself (if I am worthy [smile] ) with a new guitar in the spring or summer. This one really intrigues me as it seems to be a very versatile guitar. Unfortunately, I don't anticipate owning several guitars so a versatile guitar and amp are on my shopping list.

newhere.gif

Welcome to the forum.

If anybody wants one, do like I did..Just say you thought you had credit from another purchase, they said we can't tell how much the credit is for??

I know, but, that worked to my advantage, cuz I also told them, because, I had received email from them saying they did not want to lose my business,

to do your best, or I will go elsewhere.. I also told him I know I'm buying one today, either from them or another place I had talked to already..

The next thing I know, he puts me on hold, comes back and says, $299.99 out the door no taxes, no shipping charges either..

They said that that was cost for them, but who knows for sure.... Anyways, if you want one, call:

Music123 and ask for Scott, of all names, same, go figure... Online store....

That's the story, try it, I told him that some people from the Gibby forum just may call you out on that price.. .emoticon-south-park-021.gif

He said, have'm call, ask for Scott..... And no, it's not me...

newhere.gif

Welcome to the forum.

If anybody wants one, do like I did..Just say you thought you had credit from another purchase, they said we can't tell how much the credit is for??

I know, but, that worked to my advantage, cuz I also told them, because, I had received email from them saying they did not want to lose my business,

to do your best, or I will go elsewhere.. I also told him I know I'm buying one today, either from them or another place I had talked to already..

The next thing I know, he puts me on hold, comes back and says, $299.99 out the door no taxes, no shipping charges either..

They said that that was cost for them, but who knows for sure.... Anyways, if you want one, call:

That's the story, try it, I told him that some people from the Gibby forum just may call you out on that price.. .emoticon-south-park-021.gif

I knew a sales guy who worked for commission based on gross sales numbers. He could sell "at cost" all day long and still make a living. Until someone discovered where those profits went.

I knew a sales guy who worked for commission based on gross sales numbers. He could sell "at cost" all day long and still make a living. Until someone discovered where those profits went.

Well, I get paid on BOTH gross and margin ... with the much higher percentage based on the margin. Unless you were buying a Pro Care policy and a LOT of accessories, I doubt you'd be getting that sort of an "at cost" deal at any of the retail outlets. I know that I'd bid you a fond farewell and wish you good luck. That guitar is gonna be HOT for the first few months ... I doubt I'll have any trouble getting regular street price for any of the units we get in stock.

Maybe Music 123 pays their folks differently ... then again, dropping your pants on a guitar that is still three weeks away from release? I just hope you don't run into a lot of "shipping delays", Sparky!

Jim

newhere.gif

Welcome to the forum.

Nice. Thats hilarious. [biggrin]

• 2 weeks later...

I can't wait for these to finally be out on the market so I can hear some reviews from people on here. I was thinking about getting one. The tonal options seem awesome. I think the body looks too small though (for me anyway). Just a personal preference, I like semi hollows and chunky Les Pauls! I guess that's why I don't like Strats, they just feel like toys.

• 3 weeks later...

I got mine today. It plays okay, it feels a little weird but I may not be used to this flat a fretboard, or the action is too high or something. the hardware looks a little cheap. the place where the frets are seated into the binding has smudges and black marks all over it. Fret markers look glued in poorly some places. It's not bad at all, just compared to a 400 dollar agile it's slightly less well put together. The finish otherwise is pretty decent and the wood looks decent.

It's pretty comfortable to play, very thin light and sits in your lap better than an lp.

So all that stuff aside, I think it SOUNDS really great. The humbucker and single coil sounds are all useful. I wouldn't say it's a totally distinctive sounding guitar, but if you're looking for something that's versatile and just plain sounds good, this is a contender.

Archived