Gibson Brands Forums

G-1275 Double neck SG

Supersonic

Hey guys,

I was killing time this morning looking at random guitars on the MF website and I came across 2 different versions of the Epi G-1275 Double Neck Custom. One is a limited edition in alpine white and is selling for $799.99 and the other is the cherry red one and it's $1,099. They appear to be the same guitar except for the finish. Are there any other differences other than that? The white one actually looked a little better than red. Maybe its a flame top or something. Just wondered why the $300 price difference and I figured this would be the place to ask.

• 1 month later...

Don't bother. They're plywood.

You must have missed the last 1275 thread, HC. Plywood they are no longer...well, some of them. I'm willing to bet the cherry is wood and the white is ply. But yeah, they've stopped using ply on some of them. Epiphone lists them as Mahogany now. As of last year, they were still listed as laminate.

Supersonic, if you can get a peek inside the cavities, it may help you decide. [wink]

There was a member on the forum last year that bought both and dug the pickup cavity's out to reveal both were as laminated as a wafer cookie.

He wasn't a happy camper about it either.

At $799 that Alpine White version would be the way to go because they are identical in every other way.

$1,099? Not on your life!

There was a member on the forum last year that bought both and dug the pickup cavity's out to reveal both were as laminated as a wafer cookie.

He wasn't a happy camper about it either.

At $799 that Alpine White version would be the way to go because they are identical in every other way.

$1,099? Not on your life!

^THIS^

LOL. I went back and looked at that thread. It was Supersonic's last 1275 thread and there was no conclusion in that thread. In another thread someone said "mahogany" means ply, and "solid mahogany" means wood. And Hungrycat claimed that the red ones with Bigsbys on the 6-side were non-lam guitars. So there you have it. Mystery solved.

Don't bother. They're plywood.

I’ve read this for ages and pretty much laugh every time – I suppose we all want solid over crappy “plywood”, except…

Solid body guitar builders are always breaking the sacred rules of cabinetmaking/woodworking, the very ones that have proven to be correct over the course of the last 300 years, and this one is a perfect example.

When talking about a double neck guitar there are a few considerations that make it different from a regular guitar.

If you’re building a body that’s just over 1 inch thick, and it’s wider than it is long, gluing it up from solid (and for whatever reason from as few pieces as possible to make up the required width) is almost guaranteed to show some degree of warp over time and its very susceptible to changes in humidity/temperature.

This is especially true in the case of a guitar body as it has nothing (frames, bracing, hardware etc) to help keep it straight.

Laminating layers of mahogany is not quite the same as making a body from “plywood” (but that’s a debate for another thread) and will produce a much flatter, much more stable body, that’s a fact.

Epiphone engineers know this and probably tried to do the right thing – but we’re all convinced that the tone is no good from “plywood” and therefore we don’t want it.

There are so many “Tales” told by guitar salespeople who know nothing about manufacturing; 1 piece bodies are the best, Honduras mahogany is more resonant than American swamp ash, unless you’re a fender salesman and then it’s the other way around, etc, etc…

So, at the end of the day we don’t want plywood, but IMO there really is nothing wrong with it in this case, if done properly.

And Hungrycat claimed that the red ones with Bigsbys on the 6-side were non-lam guitars.

No that was somebody else who actually owned a Bigsby one that said that. I was under the impression that one I had played wasn't ply, but now I believe I was wrong about that.

Archived