Gibson Brands Forums

Strings

nbtel

Hi kids. Some older some younger than me, most are younger than me.

Question: I have a 1951 Gibson SJ200 with a sitka top and I have a 2008 SJ200 Limited Edition with an adirondack top. The question is coming soon. I use a jim dunlop 46mm pick and it drives the adirondack top good with 12's on her. I still do not get the volume out of the 1951 with the 12's although Iam hesitant to go with 13's on an older guitar or any guitar because of the extra strain on the neck.

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

qustion: What do ya'll think?????????????????????????????????

The End

You will be fine with 13's on the '51. Heavier gauge strings were the "norm" back then, nobody had even thought of using 09's or 10's yet. The older Gibson's were also built to last forever. I use 14-67 on my 1947 L-7. I'm sure the guitar will outlive me, as it did it's first owner.

With the heavier gauge strings you might also consider using a thicker pick. It will eliminate the "clickety clickety" sound of the pick across the strings, mellow out the tone, and increase volume. Give a medium a try such as the Tortex yellow or green.

Just a couple of comments.

(1) I wouldn't worry about mediums on any J-200.

(2) Gibson built some mighty fine J-200s in the '50s, but none was as good (or as loud) at the best of those Adi-topped 2008s.

-- Bob R

On my 69 CW I just moved from DR Sunbeams 12's to 13's and the improvement in tone has been outstanding. It was really good before but after i placed the 13's the depth, projection went to another level. Also the playability improved believe it or not. This guitar was clearly designed for mids, just took me a while to work that out.

I recommend DR Sunbeams as they are a bit more flexible and i find these are the easiest 13's to fret that Ive played. Give em a go, you wont be disappointed as the tone of the Sunbeams is also outstanding.

cheers.

Give em a go, you wont be disappointed as the tone of the Sunbeams is also outstanding.

Personally, I really love Sunbeams on some guitars (e.g., they're all I use on my '58 J-50) but not on all. One of my J-200s has .013 Sunbeams on it now. They came very close to being taken off right after I put them on. Far inferior to John Pearse Phos Bronze mediums on that particular guitar, to my ears.

-- Bob R

I adjusted my playing style to lights many years ago. I don't see any 'chicken' Emoticons!

* A new wrench: Lightfoot, was using Earthwood medium lights on his Martin a few years back, per his own statement.

Archived