Gibson Brands Forums

2011 Rock & Roll Hall of Fame Nominees

rocketman

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Cock-sure, aren't we? +:-@

Reminds me of my grandmother's Chihuahua from years ago, barking and growling while hidden safely under the couch.

[flapper]

Wide market appeal doesnt mean ****.

To whom?

You?

Okay, there's one.

Compared to millions of Deep Purple fans?

Not that I really consider myself one, I own only two of their discs in addition to some Rainbow discs. [thumbup] B)

I didn't read your whole wall of text because im to lazy

Yeah, we know.

And "im to lazy" would ordinarily be "I'm too lazy."

The effort to do even that correctly isn't much, and I KNOW you're capable - especially when pleading with Duane to ban me.

+:-@

but im sure you got most of your post from your experience in heavy metal.

Imagine, if you can, all the things I may have done in the music world, all the shows I may have attended in the last thirty years.

Not being able to drive, and with no job to speak of for cash, tell us what YOUR experience consists of in the last, oh, 3 years.

How many "metal" shows did you attend at the mature age of 13?

FOR REAL.

At any hard rock or metal show I've attended, I can count the kids too young to shave on one hand.

NO venues will allow that anymore.

[-(

Tell me neo...how many bands cite Deep Purple as a main influence, how many books have their been written on deep purple? 1?

Influence?

LOTS.

Books?

I have no idea.

Never meant enough to me to know.

Compared to the 5 books on Sabbath?

5 books on Sabbath?

Cite them please.

And then do another count on Deep Purple...

A quick search I just did on Amazon returned 208 items.

190 for Black Sabbath.

I dont see people calling deep purple a creator of a genre now do i?

There are many, many things you don't see. [blink]

With all you profess to know since Junior High, imagine how smart you'll be in another 16 years - when people might consider listening to you.

:rolleyes:[woot]

Now, where were we?

Oh yeah, Dem00n was proving me wrong again.

Let's just ignore the facts and just say you won.

[lol]

Well, opinion, okay.

Reality?

No way.

I don't know your age, but I remember the seventies and both bands.

I will concede a couple points; in Kansas we had no Rock radio - or even any FM.

When I did to move to an area with FM, it was still a more conservative area of the country.

I moved to Oklahoma City in 1981, and finally had rock radio there, and in Dallas and Houston as well.

In my travels through all those years, DP was often on the radio.

Sabbath, not so much.

Iron Man and a couple other songs were about it unless you were listening in the off-peak hours.

When the Heavy Metal soundtrack came out, I remember hearing Mob Rules several times in a month and thought "Wow!"

Deep Purple was MUCH more widely accepted and many more songs hit the airwaves.

With Rainbow going strong, radio was playing the hell out of that stuff too, so the DP connection was always there.

I saw Sabbath in a lot of people's record collections, and on 8-tracks in their cars, but it was rarely on the radio.

Nowhere near as much as Blackmore's bands.

Once Ozzy hit in 1981, Sabbath was all but forgotten by local radio.

In the years since, I would say DP has been more constant on the radio, while Sabbath made a bit of a "comeback."

Sorry, Neo, but you can't compare 70's FM radio in the mid west to FM radio on the Coasts. Of course Purple was getting more air time there, Black Sabbath was Devils Music, there's no way the Bible Belt of the 70's was going to let you hear that. Today things are a little more homogenized but back then, you were getting a very diluted picture of Popular Music. The coasts were pushing the envelopes, playing entire sides of Albums (Purple and Sabbath), playing Zappa's B side stuff, Pink Floyd Animals (not just the cozy stuff from Dark Side).

So I'm thinking this argument is more about where you grew up, rather than who influenced who more.

Maybe, but I grew up listening to KLOS and KMET in the 70's, and don't remember hearing a lot of of Black Sabbath in comparison to LZ and DP...

I'd write more, but im to lazy.

The play list on the coasts were a lot more varied than the ones in Middle America. I'm not saying Sabbath was played more than DP, I said they were played more out here than out there.

And the Sex Pistols were absolutely the biggest bunch of Posers the Punk World has ever seen. Give me some GBH or Subhumans any day of the week.

The play list on the coasts were a lot more varied than the ones in Middle America. I'm not saying Sabbath was played more than DP, I said they were played more out here than out there.

And the Sex Pistols were absolutely the biggest bunch of Posers the Punk World has ever seen. Give me some GBH or Subhumans any day of the week.

OK.

But the Pistols did tell the RRHOF where to shove it, and I thought they were spot-on.

I thought i was the only one who knew this! [lol]

I thought i was the only one who knew this! [lol]

They're always getting credit for doing this or that "First" in punk, when the only thing they were first at was being a corporate slap together act designed to attract and untapped market.

They're kinda like Snapple. When Snapple was introduced it was as an Alternative to the Big Soda Companies, Hippies and Punks all over the world jumped on the Anti-Establishment Snapple Bandwagon. Had they stopped to read the label, they would have noticed it was Distributed by the Coca-Cola company. Stupid Reactionary Hippies.

Sex Pistols were the same thing, The record Company (EMI) changed thier line up to a more Marketable Punk Look and Attitude (enter Sid Vicious) and marketed them to the Dumb Kids that thought they were fighting the establishment. Too self absorbed to read the label on the back of the record [sneaky]. Dumb Kids.

It's only sad when you don't have any.

That's not what we were talking about. It's sad when Art is made exclusively for money, if a band is making music (art) for no other reason than to make money there's an inherent sadness in it for a number of reasons. I'm sure there were parents in the early 20th century that were disappointed when they saw wonderful paintings of Santa Clause holding a bottle of Coke. They weren't disappointed because they weren't making a dividend off of the paintings, they were disappointed because their Christmas Story was tainted by Marketing.

Same goes for the Punk Crowd being sold Anti-Establishment Art by the Establishment.

You want Chicks, get a Motorcycle. A lot less Practice and there's less for them to get jealous over. [rolleyes]

I've had bikes and guitars. Trust me when I say I've pulled more birds with the guitars than the bikes. Perhaps we need a poll....... B)

BS I've never seen an artist yet that says don't pay me.

You wanna be a struggling artist all your life don't sign with a label, stay in your bedroom and play for your buds.

Come on First, everybody wants to get paid. Bono can't save the world if he's broke.eusa_naughty.gif

Oh and Santa got nothing to do with the Christmas story

BS I've never seen an artist yet that says don't pay me.

You wanna be a struggling artist all your life don't sign with a label, stay in your bedroom and play for your buds.

Come on First, everybody wants to get paid. Bono can't save the world if he's broke.eusa_naughty.gif

Oh and Santa got nothing to do with the Christmas story

I never said Artsits shouldn't want to get paid. I said that Money shouldn't be the only driving force behind the music. I'm the first one to say that getting paid is very important if you want to keep you band in Strings and Drum Heads. And that music (or any art) is a service that must be paid for. Music is a business, but it's a business that deals in Art. When it's Conceived in a Boardroom with the exclusive purpose of making a buck then it's just a product, not Art. That's a little sad.

Ars gratia artis, with out that the product is just marketing, not art.

Archived