Gibson Brands Forums

OT, the Marshall Class 5

T Bone

For those who have (or are very familiar with) this amp, could you give me your impressions? Was already pretty sure I was going to pick one up at some point. Being a bargain hunter, I was planning to wait until GC brought back a 20% off coupon, bringing their price down to $320 for the little monster. But they've got a Limited Edition version in Vintage Cream with a gilded logo [woot], that has me seriously considering one sooner rather that later (only 500 pcs at GC anyway, not sure if it's an exclusive or not, but tempted not to wait so as not to miss the L.E.).

How well do you like yours, do you think it gives anywhere near the tone of a Bluesbreaker combo, how often do you choose it over other amps, etc.?

Don't really need another amp, but that's never stopped me before [laugh]. Might help to know what else I have available, (in order of power output) Vox AC4TV 10, Fender Champion 600 RI, vintage (1971) Marshall 20 watt PA head (a crunchy little screamer) with a mini stack cabinet, Fender 65 RI Deluxe Reverb and a '93 (first year, American built) Fender Blues Deluxe.

Although I have no direct experience of the Amp,I was reading (Total Guitar) about it last night:

+ Authentic Marshall tone & good price

- Missing a few features

Based on the review, worth a test.

At this time, my Orange TT ticks all my box's, but if I get the opportunity, may also give it a go.

Lets us know what you think

For those who have (or are very familiar with) this amp, could you give me your impressions? Was already pretty sure I was going to pick one up at some point. Being a bargain hunter, I was planning to wait until GC brought back a 20% off coupon, bringing their price down to $320 for the little monster. But they've got a Limited Edition version in Vintage Cream with a gilded logo [woot], that has me seriously considering one sooner rather that later (only 500 pcs at GC anyway, not sure if it's an exclusive or not, but tempted not to wait so as not to miss the L.E.).

How well do you like yours, do you think it gives anywhere near the tone of a Bluesbreaker combo, how often do you choose it over other amps, etc.?

Don't really need another amp, but that's never stopped me before [laugh]. Might help to know what else I have available, (in order of power output) Vox AC4TV 10, Fender Champion 600 RI, vintage (1971) Marshall 20 watt PA head (a crunchy little screamer) with a mini stack cabinet, Fender 65 RI Deluxe Reverb and a '93 (first year, American built) Fender Blues Deluxe.

T-Bone,

I have two Marshall Class 5 amps, play them in stereo. The Class 5 is a fantastic little amp, specially when you set the volume at around 1:00. They have that Blues Breaker kinda tone, very creamy and smooth. I saw the cream color at GC over the weekend and it looks really nice. Had to hold back on picking one up as I just purchased two Les Paul Customs and a 50s Tribute GT. [flapper] The Class 5 sounds fuller than the Vox AC4TV, which I also have. I have two, an 8" and 10" speaker models.

Also, check out the just released limited run Les Paul Special for only $999. This is only a GC exclusive run. Here is a pic of the les paul special posted by a forum member tehuti44.

DSCN1780-1.jpg

One of my class 5.

p3030191.jpg

By bluesguitar65 at 2010-03-03

Sweet, thanks for the replies. I am going to put it on layaway today. Not that I don't have the coin (though I did have to replace my computer last week [cursing]), but I need to clear some room for it (I am outta space in the "music area", been needing to do a major cleaning/overhaul). Besides, I bet I am due to receive a new GC coupon any weekend now, probably 15 or 20% off, or I'd guess at least $50 when I spend over $299 (these are some of their common better coupons).

BG65, knew you had one, didn't know about two! Plus, I knew you had an AC4 TV, but didn't know you had both. Thinking about the 8 inch myself, I have not been able to see one in person. A question, is the 1/10 W attenuation a lot less volume than the 1/4 w of the 10 inch model? There was a good price on these on eBay last week ($150 BIN w/free shipping).

Lastly, the LP Special- I saw that post and like the guitar- for one, I am still awaiting 50's Tribute Gold Top #2 (this my original order from GC), which I will probably Modify (either adding a Bigsby and/or Mini Humbuckers), and reason two, I already have a very similar guitar in the Robot Less Paul Jr. Special (differences are the robotics, faded TV yellow finish, ebony fret board, no binding and who knows the what differences on the neck- okay, the differences are substantial, but so are the similarities).

T-Bone,

The 1/10w attenuator is alot less volum and alot more grit to the tone. I think it compliments the P90 pickups. The 10" has a little more bottom and and cleaner with a little more headroom specially when you set it at 4w attenuator. The 8" is a little more midrange in tone and has a really sweet tube overdrive tone. You can't go wrong with either one IMHO, but if want that ballsy bluesbreaker tone, the Marshall Class 5 wins hands down. I think that ebay was a typo about the 12". Class 5s are all 10" special designed celestions. The Vox also has celestion speakers as well.

Most of my youtube vids are done using either the vox ac4tv or the marshall class 5.

Here is one using the vox ac4tv 8".

^

Man, that video sounds sweet! What delay are you using there (any other pedals?). I hit reply when it was nearly over, so I missed some. So I get to go listen to it again! [thumbup]

I already edited out my comments about the 12 inch in the Marshall (you are quick, it was only there for a few minutes!). I went back to the ad, he's got a giant disclaimer at the bottom, he made an error and eBay won't let a title be changed (he should cancel the auction and start over).

On the AC4 TV 8, okay, I guess now I'll have both too. Ordering one within a week (just got the 10 inch a week ago!).

Ha! Found the answers! You listed them in the credits at the end. Carbon Copy (got one), Looper (mine is a JamMan Solo), compressor (mine is a vintage EH Soul Preacher, unfortunately seems to have some issues at the moment). Yep, sounded really good! I like what you're playing, I may run it through an amp and try to duplicate your sound. Very tasty [thumbup].

Five watts?? They gotta be kidding! Well, it's been awhile since I regularly played loud, and I know the formula is about 10x the power to double the volume (ie: a 50 watt amp should be only twice as loud as a 5 watt amp), but I've got to say, for 5 watts, this thing is freaking loud! For a point of reference, when I was a teenager (1970's) I played through a 50 watt and a 100 watt Plexi and had them both fully cranked much of the time (my parents I now know were Saints!). So I do know loud.

I really like this little dynamo. Won't get a chance to use the volume much for awhile, I just got the call today (when i was pulling in to GC's parking lot) that I am going back to work (yay!) starting Wednesday. And once inside this plant, we should build up to serious overtime in a couple of weeks (6-7 days a week, 10-12 hours a day). Add an hour of commute time each way, andi won't be having much time to play for a month or a bit more. But it pays the bills (and gave me the incentive to pick the amp up today instead of waiting). My GC Rep told me there was a coupon (I looked, didn't see it) for $50 a purchase of more than $299. So there we have it, I picked up the vintage cream Marshall Class 5 for $350 plus tax. I'll shoot some quick pics tomorrow and post them with one (or more ) of the Les Pauls.

Ha! Found the answers! You listed them in the credits at the end. Carbon Copy (got one), Looper (mine is a JamMan Solo), compressor (mine is a vintage EH Soul Preacher, unfortunately seems to have some issues at the moment). Yep, sounded really good! I like what you're playing, I may run it through an amp and try to duplicate your sound. Very tasty [thumbup].

Hey T-Bone! How you liking that Marshall Class 5? I'm sure your having fun with it as it is a great amp.

Here is goldy 50s tribute on a blues jr.

I can't put my 50s tribute down. Playing more than my other gibsons, Customs and standards. Just love that P90 tone. Excuse my sloppy playing.

Thanks man. Great tones out of that

I really love my 50's tribute as well. Those P90's in there are something special.

Here's my clip (and please excuse MY sloppy playing), this is through a PODxt tho.

Blue Honey

Sloppy playing??? Your playing and tone was great! Where did you get the backtracks?

Thanks! :)

I downloaded alot from Althrax on soundclick, as well as the "King of the Blues" backing tracks and countless other places. Those are the 2 I can remember for now. Sorry about derailing the thread

Thanks! :)

I downloaded alot from Althrax on soundclick, as well as the "King of the Blues" backing tracks and countless other places. Those are the 2 I can remember for now. Sorry about derailing the thread

Derailing? Nah, we're just discussing stuff! Besides, I started it as an OT thread, and AFAIC, it can go where ever it leads to.

On the Blues Jr. comparison, I don't have one (yet). I'm sure that is inevitable, especially now that they've got the lacquered version (really reminds me of all my cool old tweed Fenders I had to sell off 13 or so years ago).

And TBH, I've not even plugged it in at home yet (just brought it home last night, and had stuff to do once I got here). And now it's sitting in the living room (I passed by the computer in search of my camera [laugh] so I can take some pics of it). I am going to compare it to the Vox AC4 TV 10 inch (4 watts, much smaller cabinet) and the Fender RI Champion 600 (little tiny thing at 5 watts with a 6 inch speaker). Curious to see the volume and dynamics differences. Of course, the Marshall is much higher priced than either of those, and I have every right (and reason after hearing it in the sound room at GC) to expect it'll blow the other two away. Report later. [thumbup]

Derailing? Nah, we're just discussing stuff! Besides, I started it as an OT thread, and AFAIC, it can go where ever it leads to.

On the Blues Jr. comparison, I don't have one (yet). I'm sure that is inevitable, especially now that they've got the lacquered version (really reminds me of all my cool old tweed Fenders I had to sell off 13 or so years ago).

And TBH, I've not even plugged it in at home yet (just brought it home last night, and had stuff to do once I got here). And now it's sitting in the living room (I passed by the computer in search of my camera [laugh] so I can take some pics of it). I am going to compare it to the Vox AC4 TV 10 inch (4 watts, much smaller cabinet) and the Fender RI Champion 600 (little tiny thing at watts with a inch speaker). Curious to see the volume and dynamics differences. Of course, the Marshall is much higher priced than either of those, and I have every right (and reason after hearing it in the sound room at GC) to expect it'll blow the other two away. Report later. [thumbup]

I had an Epi Valve Jr half stack that had the bitmo trio mod done. I got a Superchamp XD, and sold the Epi. Absolutely the biggest gear related regret I have. The Epi Valve Jr was 5 watts, but would rattle walls given the chance, loved pedals and was 100% tube goodness. I'm guessing this Marshall will do even more with 5 watts.

Five watts?? They gotta be kidding! Well, it's been awhile since I regularly played loud, and I know the formula is about 10x the power to double the volume (ie: a 50 watt amp should be only twice as loud as a 5 watt amp), but I've got to say, for 5 watts, this thing is freaking loud! For a point of reference, when I was a teenager (1970's) I played through a 50 watt and a 100 watt Plexi and had them both fully cranked much of the time (my parents I now know were Saints!). So I do know loud.

I really like this little dynamo. Won't get a chance to use the volume much for awhile, I just got the call today (when i was pulling in to GC's parking lot) that I am going back to work (yay!) starting Wednesday. And once inside this plant, we should build up to serious overtime in a couple of weeks (6-7 days a week, 10-12 hours a day). Add an hour of commute time each way, andi won't be having much time to play for a month or a bit more. But it pays the bills (and gave me the incentive to pick the amp up today instead of waiting). My GC Rep told me there was a coupon (I looked, didn't see it) for $50 a purchase of more than $299. So there we have it, I picked up the vintage cream Marshall Class 5 for $350 plus tax. I'll shoot some quick pics tomorrow and post them with one (or more ) of the Les Pauls.

Hi T-Bone, working for the auto industry perhaps? I worked 18 years for GM... and know what it's like to work and commute while the guitar is in its case...

Apparently, the Class 5 has some "Easter Eggs" (Easter Eggs is a computer lingo of hidden features, and added bonus option). The class 5 was designed so that you can plug a speaker cab to the headphone jack, so you can crank your class 5 to 10 and not bother anyone. It is like playing with a power attenuator.

Here is the link for more info. Warning: This is only for the Marshall Class 5, as it was designed to support this feature. Do not attempt to do this with any other amps as it will "FRY" your output transformer.

http://marshallvintagemodern.com/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=3794

Nothing like the tube amps for that sound we all admire!!

I expect T-Bone will be busy for a while and won't have time for us at this moment.. HAHAH....msp_lol.gif

I can't say that I blame him, I WOULD do the same thing!msp_drool.gif

Yea T-Bone is back to work so he will be very busy. Yes, nothing can come close to tube amps. Specially trying to achieve some classic southern rock kinda tone.

Archived