Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson repair shop or trusty local luthier?

MonstrO

I have 1977 ES335TD that Needs new frets and a new nut, and I have an LP295 that needs a graphite nut. Should I drop these off at Gibson to get them done, or have a local expert luthier do it for me? My local luthier is killer and has worked on my guitars before, but never any of my prized Gibsons. Is Gibson gonna charge me a fortune if I choose to have it done at their factory? Do my Gibsons retain value because all the work was done with them?

Hmmmm....

Gibson Restoration is expensive, not guaranteed that they will do a better job than a respected luthier, making guitars is one thing repairing them is another.

You should post where you are located and maybe some folks will give you good advice.

I'm in Dania Beach, South Florida. I figured Gibson would charge a mountain for it's work, but I don't mind paying top dollar for quality. But if they don't guarantee their work, oh well. Local trusty luthier it might just have to do the trick

Yeah, if you were local and could get an estimate would be one thing.

People I know who have called them over the years to get sight-unseen estimates usually got breath-taking price quotes.

If you know a good guy locally, have a nice long dialogue with him to make sure you're on the same page.

Good luck!

I'm in Dania Beach, South Florida. I figured Gibson would charge a mountain for it's work, but I don't mind paying top dollar for quality. But if they don't guarantee their work, oh well. Local trusty luthier it might just have to do the trick

They do guarantee their work, I said it is not guaranteed they will do a better job than other reputable luthier.

Do a Google search by your area, often times people discuss this subject on guitar forums.

If you are willing to ship to ship, try www.philtone.com in Baltimore, read his website, Phil has a Plek machine and an incredible reputation, the guy spent 1/2 hour on the phone with me explaining some details. His prices are lower than I have found elsewhere. Give him a call.

I have 1977 ES335TD that Needs new frets and a new nut, and I have an LP295 that needs a graphite nut. Should I drop these off at Gibson to get them done, or have a local expert luthier do it for me? My local luthier is killer and has worked on my guitars before, but never any of my prized Gibsons. Is Gibson gonna charge me a fortune if I choose to have it done at their factory? Do my Gibsons retain value because all the work was done with them?

Hmmmm....

Im a luthier based in the UK and work on all guitars and carry out the same high standard wether its a cheap chinese job or an expensive Gibson or what ever?

It doesnt matter who does does a refret as long as its carried out correctly and to the customers satifaction and shouldn affect the value?

If you have been happy with the work your local luthier has done for you in the past then let him carry out the work you want done on your Gibbo.

Terry

Archived