Gibson Brands Forums

Which strings for a Gibson Rosewood ?

EuroAussie

Along with Buc and a few others we have been strongly supporting DR Sunbeams strings, as some of you might know.

I found these strings on my mahogany guitars to be unbeatable. They have sustain, warmth, playability, longevity - they bring out the very best of the hog b/s.

Not so on my rosewood SWD.

Very happy with the bass and midrange, but Im missing any real treble sparkle. Its certainly there, but not enough to keep me satisfied.

Also, i found that the SWD with the Sunbeams sounds pretty average when recorded, especially when i directly compare it to mahogany guitar playing same piece. Although this could be simply a lesson learned that for recording purposes hog works better due to its clarity and simplicity.

On the AGF a number of folks recommend 80/20's which give rosewood the missing sparkle, havent tried them yet but will.

One suggestion was to keep the Sunbeams and just replace the high BE string with 80/20's - this could be a good idea as I really like the feel and mid / bass tone on the SWD with the Sunbeams. Just the treble doesnt deliver enough.

Anyway, would be keen to get your POV on this and also in particular for those that own one, which strings do you prefer on your Rosewood Gibson, and why ?

cheers,

Mark

ELIXER NANO'S

Thanks for the suggestion Larry, however to be honest personally I really dont like the feel of Elxirs, hence not an option for me. I probably should have pointed this out in the opening note so i dont waste peoples time.

cheers.

I mainly use Martin SP Phosphor Bronze 12s on my SWD.

I think it brings out the growliness of the Rosewod best, when strummed. Don't do much finger style but they're good for that too. Good longevity. Quite mellow when new i.e. not so much of that new (too) brightness you get with some.

The trusty D'addario EJ16s are also one of my favourites too.

I think it brings out the growliness of the Rosewod best, when strummed. Don't do much finger style but they're good for that too. Good longevity. Quite mellow when new i.e. not so much of that new (too) brightness you get with some.

How are they with the treble AJ ? The Sunbeams have no problem bringing out the growl in the SWD, especially considering I use 13's, but lacking in the treble. When i play bar chords, especially minor bar chords like Bm or Cm im really missing that trebly sparkle.

How are they with the treble AJ ? The Sunbeams have no problem bringing out the growl in the SWD, especially considering I use 13's, but lacking in the treble. When i play bar chords, especially minor bar chords like Bm or Cm im really missing that trebly sparkle.

OK, they are not "in your face" bright like some e.g. new Elixirs, but I've never noticed an issue. I do a little melody picking with our stuff and a solo or 2 and they're fine.

Have you tried a hybrid set with lighter tops (say 12s) and heavier bottoms (or the other way around?), or possibly mixing brands to get the best of both worlds?

Try a set of the Martins and see how you feel. They are not expensive. I bought a couple of 3 packs recently for under £15 each with a free t-shirt!

Could send you a set if you struggle but they are 12s. You should be able to find them easily though.

Thanks for the suggestion Larry, however to be honest personally I really dont like the feel of Elxirs, hence not an option for me. I probably should have pointed this out in the opening note so i dont waste peoples time.

cheers.

Not a waste of time, EA! Just my humble opinion! They're all I use. Everybody's different!

ELIXER NANO'S

+1

Why is everyone so reluctant to try the Elixir Nanos? Seriously .. I'm just curious about that. It seems like LarryP & myself are the only guys that swear by them. Yes, they're double the price of most high-end strings but they are DEFINITELY worth it! I change my strings every 6-months, whether they need it or not. Elixer NanoWeb Phospher Bronze Med-Lights can't be beat. (Yes, my J-45 is Rosewood)

Apples & oranges. Rosewood and mahogany do sound different, as they should, and it will be hard to draw the same treble response from the two. Also a rosewood vs. and ebony bridge will account for some sonic differences as well. For my money, the high E and B strings from this string set or that string set are going to be pretty much the same......plain steel of a given diameter. The wound strings are where the differences lie. Saddle material can make a difference - does your SWD have a different saddle than the mahogany guitars? A harder saddle material will yield more high end than a softer one, say TUSQ vs. bone/fossilized ivory/EI. Brighten up the SWD with a harder saddle material, but I wouldn't expect the two to ever sound the same due to the woods.

Why is everyone so reluctant to try the Elixir Nanos?

Not reluctant to try them......I have tried them and don't like them. Coated strings feel weird under my fingers and they just don't work for me. Nothing to do with price, really....they just don't feel right. You like 'em.....great! Rock on, brother!

Apples & oranges. Rosewood and mahogany do sound different, as they should, and it will be hard to draw the same treble response from the two. Also a rosewood vs. and ebony bridge will account for some sonic differences as well. For my money, the high E and B strings from this string set or that string set are going to be pretty much the same......plain steel of a given diameter. The wound strings are where the differences lie. Saddle material can make a difference - does your SWD have a different saddle than the mahogany guitars? A harder saddle material will yield more high end than a softer one, say TUSQ vs. bone/fossilized ivory/EI. Brighten up the SWD with a harder saddle material, but I wouldn't expect the two to ever sound the same due to the woods.

Apples and Oranges absolutely Buc, fully agree. And i dont suggest im trying to get a mohagany tone from a rosewood. The tone of my CW and SWD is like night ad day even they are both dreads. Im just trying to find the strings that will bring out a bit more sparkle in the rosewood, which im not getting with the Sunbeams sadly. The saddle on all my main guitars is Colosi bone.

Not a waste of time, EA! Just my humble opinion! They're all I use. Everybody's different!

Slight misunderstanding Larry. When i said i shouldnt waste peoples time i meant i probably should havve listed the string brands which for me are no go, so that if folks provide a suggestion its realistic in that it would get on my pesonal shopping list. HOwever as i said a lot of folks really like Elixirs and for them its certainly no waste of time. For me i just cant stand the feel of them, and i dont like the tone when strummed. I do however like how the sound when fingerpicked, however this style only account for about 10% of my playing, hence not enough of an arguement.

Hope this has cleared all up.

cheers.

Im just trying to find the strings that will bring out a bit more sparkle in the rosewood.....

In that case, I suspect 80/20 alloy strings might help. They are generally brighter sounding than p-bronze overall. But there again, the plain strings will not be any different.....plain steel is plain steel. But the 80/20 wound strings should be brighter than a comparable phosphor bronze set. Who's 80/20? Pearse makes a good string but the choice is yours to make. Happy hunting!

Just put on Martin SP .012's on my J-45 (hog) from this summer and as the first 'newzaang' fades, one can begin to judge the meeting. This set has .001 thicker third and sixth strings compared to the .012 EJ16 D'addarios they replaced. They appear a bit crispier, and quite convincing. The real funny thing is that the much talked about build in J-45compressor-effect, which especially came through on the A-chords around second fret - and frankly 'bestrange' me a little - now seems to be on retreat. Funny as it's the E-string which is fatter, not the A..Could this mean that I now hear the first signs of some wooden process. Is this the guitar slowly opening up. . .

On my rosewood AJ I prefer the Gibson Masterbuilts -- mostly a fingerpicker.... I'm another one of those who just doesn't like the feel of the Elixers. Tried the DR Sunbeams within the last year and they were "nice", but died within a week. The 80/20 Pearce were "nice" too, and would be my go-to if I found the Masterbuilts stopped working for me. But I gotta say the Masterbuilts gave me the sparkle I wanted without the jangle I dislike. Hope that makes sense...

On my rosewood AJ I prefer the Gibson Masterbuilts -- mostly a fingerpicker.... I'm another one of those who just doesn't like the feel of the Elixers. Tried the DR Sunbeams within the last year and they were "nice", but died within a week. The 80/20 Pearce were "nice" too, and would be my go-to if I found the Masterbuilts stopped working for me. But I gotta say the Masterbuilts gave me the sparkle I wanted without the jangle I dislike. Hope that makes sense...

Thank you for the note Firelight - I like the Masterbuilt and Ive got a spare set here at home, so ill give em a run. Although my experience in terms of lengevity oppoiste to yours. The MB's always died very quikly while the Sunbeams lasted the longest.

cheers.

Problem solved !

Nothing wrong with the DR Sunbeams, but it needs to be 12's not 13's.

I tried the lower gage and bang, the sparkle, warth, balance, is back, the SWD is breathing again !

So, this is my conclusion. The SWD doesnt need medium strings because the Rosewood b/s is punchy and deep enough as it is, 13's just choke the sounds and 12's open it right up.

BUT, the other lesson is that on my CW 13's are definitely the way to go, and Id say this is because they deliver the extra punch and warmth that works on a mahogany b/s guitar.

So search for the right strings is over .. relief !

thank you for all your suggestions, was a really worthy exercise.

cheers.

Archived