Gibson Brands Forums

Understanding the Lingo

BeaMeUpScty

Hello, I'm looking anyone who can help a poor old man understand some of the lingo surrounding Gibson electric guitars. I'm looking for a used guitar for my son, but I am confused by some of what I read in various adds. I've called some of the adds, but I'm never sure I'm getting the straight story from someone who is obviously motivated to sell what they believe is the best possible setup.

I have found a Gibson SG Standard with burstbucker pickups that he says he recently had professionally set up with 11's. First, when I look at Musician's Friend website, the SG Standards that they list have humbucker pickups. Is one better than the other? Also, what in the world does it mean that the guitar was setup with 11's?

Burstbuckers are "models" of Humbuckers from Gibson, Burstbuckers 2 and 3 have alnico 2 magnets and are more vintage sounding, Burstbucker Pro have alnico 5 magnets for more of a crunchy and bright sound. There are also other Gibson Humbuckers with ceramic magnets that sound more modern and are usually hotter.

11's means that the low E string is 0.11 gauge and the set goes from there. Gibsons come with 0.10" gauge from factory, an 0.11s set of strings are thicker.

It's tricky buying a guitar for someone else when you are not a player yourself. Lots of people here will be able to answer any questions you have. If you have a decent local music store there will be someone who can help you, but you need to be cautious because not all sales personnel are the same!

Buying used can get you good value, but it comes with pitfalls as well because there are fake guitars out there (like cheap Chinese made copies that look like Gibsons but are nothing like a real Gibson). So buying from a decent store can help to avoid this. If you tell us where you are someone on here will probably be able to direct you to a trustworthy dealer in your area.

Get as much help as you can and don't rush into buying the first one you see. There WILL ALWAYS be another one, no matter how amazing or rare the seller tells you it is.

If the deal looks too good to be true then it is too good to be true. Good luck.

Does your son know what he wants?

Maybe you or your son has a friend who plays a guitar and can go with you to the store and help you out. If you go to a big retailer like Guitar Center, or even mom and pop reputable stores that have been around a while, they're goint to sell you the real thing (most likely). A real SG is a great guitar. There is the Gibson SG which is more expensive and U.S. made, and there's the Epiphone SG, which is not made in the U.S. and is cheaper (it's like the grocery brand soda, instead of Coke). You could take pics and post them here and some folks could look at the guitar but it won't guarantee its authenticity. Enjoy shopping! You'll learn a lot!

Wow, the response and help here is amazing. I posted this and went to my son's football game and thought I'd check on the off-chance someone had responded. In reply to the questions I have read, I live near Park City, Utah. the nearest store that carries Gibson is Salt Lake. My son has actually played and really wants an SG, and it is also the same guitar his guitar teacher plays. My son currenty has a Gibson Melodymaker. The guitar I found is listed for $780, which sounds decent, but I don't think the picture the seller posted is actually of his guitar. It looks more like a stock photo. I would first have him email me pics of his guitar before I drive the hour to see it in person. I'll post the real pic when I get them to see if people here can tell if it is a real Gibson. I guess I could have him give me the serial number to check out too, couldn't I?

One last question, if the 11 strings are thicker, is that a desirable thing, or is it just a matter of preference?

I don't know why anyone would want 11s on an SG except to drop D tune which if your son is just starting I am not sure you'd want to go there. And, yes, it means generally the entire set of strings are larger diameter. The "high" E or number one string is 11, followed generally by 14, 18, 28, 38, 49 in a standard 11 set. You'd want to know if it was changed for standard 11s or expanded 11s which can go up to 58s.

If your son is going to learn how to solo and do string bending, you're not going to want 11s on the guitar. I bend a lot and use 10s and have 10.5s on my ES-355 for a little more chord power but still very solo/bendable. Some people starting out will recommend 9s as they can be easier on those new sore fingers. And others use 9s all the time.

I wouldn't recommend this guitar for a starter!

just my 2c,

I don't know why anyone would want 11s on an SG except to drop D tune which if your son is just starting I am not sure you'd want to go there.

I play 11s on my SG in standard tuning because I am not some milquetoast finesse player. I play the guitar hard and I want something that isn't going to quit like an Alaskan Governor half way through the set. Nothing wrong with 11s. It'll make your son's fingers stronger.

I play 11s on my SG in standard tuning because I am not some milquetoast finesse player. I play the guitar hard and I want something that isn't going to quit like an Alaskan Governor half way through the set. Nothing wrong with 11s. It'll make your son's fingers stronger.

Or a senator not finishing out their term?

<ducking head>

I have 11's on one of my Les Pauls (a Les Paul deluxe) and bend them plenty. But don't worry too much. 10's are more commonly used but you can have a set up done and if you get a guitar from a dealer you can get them to include a set up with the strings of your son's choice in the sale price.

This is starting to take a political tone. Careful guys.

The guitar was "set up" for 11s. If true, this likely means the nut was altered. You'd need to understand how it was altered? Standard 11s or expanded 11s that can go all the way to 58 in some drop D sets. I wouldn't want to go back and put 10s on that.

I wouldn't get an 11s electric for anyone starting out. It will severely limit those tender fingers from doing any soloing. Heck I play 11s on my acoustic to solo with and I've been playing for years. Maybe my fingers are just wimpy but bending 12s beyond just a 1/2 step on my acoustic is painful and I can't regularly bend 11s for more than a full step on the fly. Bear in mind, I'm talking about the set, not the high E string alone.

On my electrics, with 10s I can go 2 full steps regularly on the fly. My 10.5 ES-355 usually doesn't get bent more than a step and a 1/2.

If your son likes SGs, find him one that has a standard setup.

Put a P90 in that Melody Maker and he'll love it. It will take on the characteristics of a Les Paul Jr. I have a SG Standard and it is a great guitar. There are lots of fakes and imitations so buy from a good source. I visited Park City at the end of September, nice country.

Archived