Gibson Brands Forums

BIG FIND in the collection!

goldsworthy

I am new here but some of you might remember my post regarding my wife's collection of Gibson Guitars that were owned by her late husband. We have sent a good portion of the collection for consignment sales and are still going through the remaining part of the collection. I wanted to report that today I think we found a real Gibson treasure!. It is a Gibson model ES-355TD. The guitar is in Wonderful mint condition! I understand it was made in 1960 and that Gibson only made 128 instrument's that year. It is in the original case and I have yet to find even a scratch on it. I looked at listed values on this model in this condition and have found them at between $27,500-$30,000!. We had NO IDEA her late husband had such taste in Guitars! My wife even said if she knew he bought such a expensive model Guitar she would have killed him!.I am going to use my HD video cam and post a good video of this Guitar for you all to enjoy. All the stickers and S numbers are clear. I just thought I would share with you all in return for the good advice some on this forum have given us regarding dealing with this collection. We still have a room full of Guitars to sort out so we have our work cut out for us! THANKS AGAIN! I have also posted a link here regarding this model for advisement.ES-355TD

I am new here but some of you might remember my post regarding my wife's collection of Gibson Guitars that were owned by her late husband. We have sent a good portion of the collection for consignment sales and are still going through the remaining part of the collection. I wanted to report that today I think we found a real Gibson treasure!. It is a Gibson model ES-355TD. The guitar is in Wonderful mint condition! I understand it was made in 1960 and that Gibson only made 128 instrument's that year. It is in the original case and I have yet to find even a scratch on it. I looked at listed values on this model in this condition and have found them at between $27,500-$30,000!. We had NO IDEA her late husband had such taste in Guitars! My wife even said if she knew he bought such a expensive model Guitar she would have killed him!.I am going to use my HD video cam and post a good video of this Guitar for you all to enjoy. All the stickers and S numbers are clear. I just thought I would share with you all in return for the good advice some on this forum have given us regarding dealing with this collection. We still have a room full of Guitars to sort out so we have our work cut out for us! THANKS AGAIN! I have also posted a link here regarding this model for advisement.ES-355TD

You'd better be nice to her...or YOU might end up the "late husband" too!

Looking forward to pics!

Goldsworthy -

There's no way to forget the stunning list of guitars you posted last time I saw you in here. Eye popping jazz boxes and semi/hollow bodies, to say the least.

Looking forward to pics or vid of the latest discovery.

If your willing to share it, I'd like to take a look at your consignment shop's website, if they have one and the guitars are listed.

Thanks for the update.

.... regarding my wife's collection of Gibson Guitars that were

owned by her late husband. ....... a Gibson model ES-355TD.

....... this model in this condition ..... $27,500-$30,000!.

....... said if she knew he bought such a expensive model

Guitar she would have killed him! .......

Thaz NOT (???) what heppened to him ???

If I were you I'd either switch wives or switch to Epiphones.

`

Look at the back of the neck up by the headstock - there's a "heel" there. It's called a volute - incorporated to strengthen the neck angle at the headstock (to avoid breakage issues). This was only done from like 1969 to 1981 during the time when the Norlin Corp owned Gibson.

A 1960 model would not have that volute (heel) like here -

bloom3o.jpg

Here's a volute -

thumbnail.aspx?q=282691963537&id=60418492be26f868a7e921227ac4f18e.jpg

Look at the back of the neck up by the headstock - there's a "heel" there. It's called a volute - incorporated to strengthen the neck angle at the headstock (to avoid breakage issues). This was only done from like 1969 to 1981 during the time when the Norlin Corp owned Gibson.

A 1960 model would not have that volute (heel) like here -

bloom3o.jpg

Here's a volute -

thumbnail.aspx?q=282691963537&id=60418492be26f868a7e921227ac4f18e.jpg

You must be right! I did a little digging and found a list of Gibson numbers I found 96601 to 99999 1963. The numbers on this one are 9675xx I guess its a false alarm! This model must be not worth much. The photos sure looked like it though The sticker inside says ES335TD. I guess we better look in the room some more there has to be something in there worth money!

There's another little thing about Gibson serial numbers from the 1960s - they're notoriously hard to decipher because they reused numbers, overlapped numbers - it's a mess.

Under the S number its also stamped USA. O well, it has to be worth a couple of hundred anyway.

I'm just guessing early 1970s, and I've got no experience with this model, but I think it's worth at least $5K.

Someone with better knowledge might chime in with a more accurate info/value. OK thanks! sorry for the false alarm! LOL My wife says we still have 174 more guitars to look at who knows we might find something worth something. I will let ya know

It's a beautiful 335. Since I've just sold mine I might be a bit watery eyed but if it were me, this one is a keeper, for investment purposes. The used market is a buyer's one at the moment and particularly the vintage stuff.

Cash in the less unusual pieces and keep a few of the extraordinary ones.

Foghorn-Leghorn-Thats-a-joke-son-You-missed-it-Flew-right-by-ya.jpg

Anyone that knows me, knows I don't have $200.

LOL! I also wanted to let any members of the Forum here know that if you live in Wisconsin and are looking at buying any guitar's let me know. I will deal in person. I wish I could sell on the Forum but I haven't been around long enough to do so. but I can meet in person guitar in hand for any transactions. Wholesale prices!

Archived