Gibson Brands Forums

Should I do it?

Silenced Fred

Depending on what you're wanting to get out of your bass, I might do it. G-400's are pretty decent in my opinion.. <ducks>

I've never played one before. I gotta go buy acoustic strings, so I'll try one out. I would use it more than the bass, but I'm trying to see if I can get a trade on a telecaster.

Ahh. There are lots of cool colors to choose from. I didn't really have mine in mind until I saw it on CL and I knew I had to have it.

Jazzmasters are awesome. I've played a few J Mascis (guitarist for Dinosaur Jr.) signature Jazzmasters and they're pretty cool. I love the purple finish. Other than that I don't know much about them.

IMO Teles are more practical but you don't see so many J-masters around.

Ahh. There are lots of cool colors to choose from. I didn't really have mine in mind until I saw it on CL and I knew I had to have it.

Jazzmasters are awesome. I've played a few J Mascis (guitarist for Dinosaur Jr.) signature Jazzmasters and they're pretty cool. I love the purple finish. Other than that I don't know much about them.

IMO Teles are more practical but you don't see so many J-masters around.

I like the sound and the body shape.

I would probably go with the blue tele, and I can't find any jazz masters around by me. Anywhere.

Yeah they're cool guitars.

I usually see an MIJ Jaguar or two on my local CL. Rarely a Jazzmaster. One thing about Jazzmasters and Jaguars is that I have no idea what the controls are so when I play one I'm confused.

I'm really becoming a big Tele fan though.

Yeah they're cool guitars.

I usually see an MIJ Jaguar or two on my local CL. Rarely a Jazzmaster. One thing about Jazzmasters and Jaguars is that I have no idea what the controls are so when I play one I'm confused.

I'm really becoming a big Tele fan though.

On eBay, I have been looking at the MIJ Jazzmasters. like 1000 for em.

I love double binding on a tele though...

Dude is it just me or are prices on MIJ Fenders going way up? It's kinda bugging me. MIJ guitars are great but are starting to seem overpriced.

Double binding is so sweet on a Tele. I love it. I've actually been looking at Musikraft thinking about putting together a top knotch "patscaster" Tele. I think I'll get a different guitar first though.

But yeah I've had this weird GAS for a light red double bound Cabronita style Tele with a lightly flamed maple neck. The Cabronita is the model with TV Jones pickups. So sweet.

That's cool but WAY too much for me. Not to mention like $600... ?

This is the source of my GAS. It got the little wheels in my head turning.

http://www.fender.com/community/forums/viewtopic.php?t=43149&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=30

Check out that neck on page 3. I wouldn't go relic but that looks so nice to me! I'd love to get that neck with Gibson style fret radius and a narrow but round profile. Since I just got a new job I'm thinking about doing this as a project.

By the way I wouldn't do the fretboard relic like that but I actually love the way they did the back of the neck.

Dude is it just me or are prices on MIJ Fenders going way up? It's kinda bugging me. MIJ guitars are great but are starting to seem overpriced.

It sure seems like they are. I don't really understand it. I had a MIJ 70's reissue strat several years ago. It was very nice, but not necessarily any nicer than an American Standard.

Double binding is so sweet on a Tele. I love it. I've actually been looking at Musikraft thinking about putting together a top knotch "patscaster" Tele. I think I'll get a different guitar first though.

But yeah I've had this weird GAS for a light red double bound Cabronita style Tele with a lightly flamed maple neck. The Cabronita is the model with TV Jones pickups. So sweet.

But for the MIJ Jazzmaster 66 RI, its a grand. A MIM one is 800. Doesn't seem that jacked up to me...

Well I guess it depends on the model. I was looking at Teles and some ones that used to always sell for like $450-$500 ish are now going for $800-$1000.

$1000 for a used one? That's too high for me. I paid $650 for my Am Std Tele so It would be hard for me to pay more for MIJ ya know.

OK, with major trepidation I post this - if you want a really cool tele, you may want to consider the Squier Classic Vibe Telecaster. Runs about $350, and I actually preferred it (sound-wise and mojo-wise) to my American Deluxe Telecaster (which I subsequently sold). An SG-style is not a Telecaster - the two are not the same. There is something just really fun about playing a straight-up plank of wood with 3 saddles and a really straight-forward set of pickups.

OK - bash away. But seriously, I have had more hours of fun with an inexpensive and sort of whimsical Squier than a much more expensive, beautiful, (and boring) American Deluxe Telecaster.

Keep your eye on the ball, man. If you want an SG, get one. If you want a Telecaster, get one, but don't focus just on the MIM versions. Just my two cents. Hope you find what you are looking for.

OK - bash away. But seriously, I have had more hours of fun with an inexpensive and sort of whimsical Squier than a much more expensive, beautiful, (and boring) American Deluxe Telecaster.

Funny how that works, isn't it? I've been wanting to try one of those Classic Vibes, but I can't find any around here locally.

There's something about Tele's that puts a smile on my face.. they are so plain and simple.. and just fun to play.

I'd like to either snag a cheap Squier CV or piece together one... I think that would be fun.

Funny how that works, isn't it? I've been wanting to try one of those Classic Vibes, but I can't find any around here locally.

There's something about Tele's that puts a smile on my face.. they are so plain and simple.. and just fun to play.

I'd like to either snag a cheap Squier CV or piece together one... I think that would be fun.

Classic Vibes aren't bad, and double bound. I actually wasn't gonna tell anyone about them, but was considering it.

What kind of bass do you have?

Ibanez SRX 590, GC offered me 100 bucks for it lol

Archived