Gibson Brands Forums

J-45 TV modifications

Lars68

I love to tinker with my guitars. So when I got my J-45 TV a couple of months ago I couldn't help myself and did the following modifications:

- Changed the pickguard to a firestripe (I got it from www.terrapinguitars.com and it is identical to the ones Gibson uses on other models)

The original guard is stored away safely in the case.

- Reamed, ramped and slotted the bridge.

- Added unslotted bone pins and a bone endpin.

- The shop polished the VOS finish.

I am thinking about removing the orange interior label, if it can safely be removed, as well as finding a nicer truss rod cover.

All of this might be over the top for some, but to me tinkering is a great part of the hobby. What, if any, mods do you guys do?

Lars

By the way, not a real modification, but I also switched to medium strings.

I love to tinker with my guitars. So when I got my J-45 TV a couple of months ago I couldn't help myself and did the following modifications:

- Changed the pickguard to a firestripe (I got it from www.terrapinguitars.com and it is identical to the ones Gibson uses on other models)

The original guard is stored away safely in the case.

- Reamed, ramped and slotted the bridge.

- Added unslotted bone pins and a bone endpin.

- The shop polished the VOS finish.

I am thinking about removing the orange interior label, if it can safely be removed, as well as finding a nicer truss rod cover.

All of this might be over the top for some, but to me tinkering is a great part of the hobby. What, if any, mods do you guys do?

Lars

By the way, not a real modification, but I also switched to medium strings.

Photos please Lars!!!

[biggrin]

I just signed up here and haven't figured out how to post pictures yet. I'll see what I can do. I am very happy with my changes, and although I don't hesitate to modify my guitars, I always go very slowly and carefully in order not to mess anything up.

As for the modifications, they are all reversible except the reaming, ramping and slotting of the bridge. However, this is in my opinion the most important mod. The rest is just cosmetic. Slotting the bridge and using unslotted pins will help prevent future damage to the bridge plate, as well as insure a better fit. The string ball will be firmly in contact with the bridge plate, instead of trying to crawl its way up in the space between the pin hole edges and the slot in the pin. This way, the string ball will not be eating away at the wood at the edges of the pin holes. There might be psycho-acoustics at work here, but I do believe I also hear a slight improvement as far as sustain and volume. It definitly helps to keep the guitar in tune, and speed up string changes.

Lars

Other than placing Colosi bone pins and saddle on my SWD,i just received vintage Hummingbird style tuning pegs.

I still have the original pegs on my 69 CW and they are fine, but I just love the (is it Tulip design, not sure) but you know the classic H/bird, Les Paul pegs.

Im going to put them on during my next string change.

On non-collectible guitars you can't beat having a highly qualified luthier fine tune the bracing. Almost all Martins and Gibsons are built heavier than they need to be. A good luthier can get them to an optimal strength/tone configuration.

How about the other way around – Turning the scalloping backwards to get some more core in the tone. To me an over-scalloped bracing tends to sound like hollow, especially the 2 high strings. Is there a way to compensate, , , some tape-trick, paste-material, whatever. I have this thing on a few guitars that would be monsters if they could be helped out.

Archived