Gibson Brands Forums

Replacement SG Std. Bass

MrNylon

For 3 weeks I was using a floor model SG Std. Bass until my SG came in. I picked up mine this morning new from Gibson. The set up on it is so incredible. The finish on it is flawless, but the set up, WOW [thumbup] . In our house, Gibson is a family tradition.

Hi Dub-T-123; I didn't have a problem with the sound of the floor model at all. Being a floor model though, it was not handled well by others trying it out. I can honestly say when I handle an instrument, i'm careful with it.

So the one the store had to offer wasn't good?

How about that.

I'm glad you like your bass though. That's what counts.

Thanks, it is really nice. I didn't have a problem with the sound or the overall condition of the bass. But when it's damage to the body from being a floor model, they did the right thing. I didn't want to buy the damaged unit, so they ordered a new for me. They also allowed me to use the floor model as a loaner. The guys there know i handle my basses well. It was cleaner when i returned it to receive my new SG.

• 2 weeks later...

Congrats; Good to know a good Gibson thing...I'm tired of sob stories from sob folks kicking Gibson...I also like the short scale of those.

I am happy for you.....You have an awesome bass rig. Yup...Rumble the world with that bass...[thumbup] [thumbup] [thumbup] [thumbup] [thumbup] [thumbup]

Hey Cork Sniffin' Luddite Drinkin' The Kool Aid;

All I can tell you, I had two recent SG Std.'s, one a Faded Cherry mfg. in April 2010 and a SG Std. Heritage Cherry mfg. Oct. 4, 2010. Both were were right on set up wise. The Faded was off the floor, and the Heritage Cherry came in from Gibson. I had no issues with anything being out of intonation. The only reason I didn't keep the Faded, I wanted the Heritage Cherry. I'm only using one bass, if there was anything not right with it I'd have it in for an adjustment. I gave a couple of days for the woods to readjust to the South Florida climate, and for the strings to do their thing too. No problems here. I had more of a problem with a G&L SG-2 that was made up for me by G&L. Not major, but for almost the same price as the gibson I still had to have the neck adjusted. The Gibsons were more of a ballsy bass. The amp needed to be reset for the greater power and sound from the G&L settings.

Hey Lungimsam;

I like the standard set up they use. The gauged string height is fine. No fret buzz or rattle. The low E is fine, I can't believe that the low E can't be set right, or the way a player likes it. I don't mess with the saddles on the bridge. I think too many people think hey know more about setting up than they really do. You really shouldn't have to unless you change strings that are larger in gauge than the original settings. Every player presses the frets differently. What's right for you, may not be good for my playing style. The same reason amps have those funny things on them called setting dials. Just kidding, but you know what I mean.

Archived