Gibson Brands Forums

Does Value Drop to Modify Original

anzac

Hello from Oz, I am wondering if I changed my pickups and knobs and tuners with other Gibson ones, would that impact the guitar's resale value.

Welcome !! First post !! I'll let others answer in detail. It all depends on the guitar, ie. model, age, etc. You will want to be able to re-replace the original parts, so keep the original parts. If you do not know how to replace the parts, have someone who knows how do it for you....In general you should be fine if the change outs are done well, and the parts can be put back before you sell it.....You will get more detailed responses from more knowedgable threaders...

Hi and welcome.

People like their purchases to be as original as poss.

As long as you keep the original parts and re-fit them prior to selling the guitar you'll not lose out but be aware that different tuners may require new screw-holes and, possibly, bushings. Even something as seemingly insignificant as that can devalue the instrument.

P.

Its hard to say. Ive seen some pretty heavily modded LPs go for what an all original one will (new standards). I doubt drilling some bigger holes to fit in a set of Locking Grovers is going to deter a potential buyer. Most players will swap out pups, caps, or pots at some point.

Did you buy it to sell it, or did you buy it because you wanted it?

Half of the cork-sniffers here don't know enough about the subject of what's original and what's not (read the back-and-forth in the threads about fakes) and the other half would surely find another reason to knock down your asking price (were they going to buy from you.)

Do what you want and don't worry about it.

Archived