Gibson Brands Forums

Check out this Fake LP Classic Antique

cunningham26

http://boston.craigslist.org/sob/msg/2041365080.html

I hate to be that guy, but I put up a Re: post warning potential buyers. In my experience, any rational conversation with the seller about this type of thing ends with me being called a flurry of names and the maniac having my email address (which is my full name), so I decided to avoid the headache and just make it clear this guy probably is peddlin a fake

http://boston.craigslist.org/sob/msg/2041365080.html

I hate to be that guy, but I put up a Re: post warning potential buyers. In my experience, any rational conversation with the seller about this type of thing ends with me being called a flurry of names and the maniac having my email address (which is my full name), so I decided to avoid the headache and just make it clear this guy probably is peddlin a fake

How can you tell, looks like this "legit" custom classic antique to me.

53530_l.jpg

i was going off of the official photo:

31qJzIkTIiL._SL500_.jpg

though i did see that one you posted as well, but only on that one finnish(?) site. nowhere else did i see one that had gibson style tuners, and yellow in the logo and split-diamond inlay. if it's legit and only available in europe or something, im going to feel like a horse's a**

My two cents:

Yeah the git LOOKS real, BUT...........

It's called a "Limited Edition Les Paul Custom Classic Antique".

It's sold with GROVER D-TIP TUNERS (I checked a couple of websites), AND am

looking at a catalog picture...

The REAL one has a WHITE EPI Name inlay, a WHITE Diamond Inlay, and a YELLOW

toggle switch tip, NOT what the fella's pics show. His are Yellow, Yellow, and Black.

Now the good stuff -

The Tuners on CRAIGLIST Git:

3m93o03le5V55W05X0ab3e686c068c9571156.jpg

Tuners I can buy from GUITARFETISH for $22.95 a SET:

thumbnailCA3V9V4C.jpg

NOOOOOOO, sure "ain't" GROVERS. Epiphone would NOT use those tuners. GIT is not real.

Good Copy, but the tuners and incorrect inlay colors are a dead give-away.

My two cents:

Yeah the git LOOKS real, BUT...........

NOOOOOOO, sure "ain't" GROVERS. Epiphone would NOT use those tuners. GIT is not real.

Good Copy, but the tuners and incorrect inlay colors are a dead give-away.

Epiphone used to use them...

Can anyone read the serial number to date the guitar?

Red 333

Looks real to me. That model has those tuners on it, and has the "yellowed" bindings and inlays. I held one that was literally identical to the one in question about two weeks ago. (At Guitar Center)

Are we so paranoid about fakes that we automatically assume that anything that we haven't seen before is a fake? Really?

Looks real to me. That model has those tuners on it, and has the "yellowed" bindings and inlays. I held one that was literally identical to the one in question about two weeks ago. (At Guitar Center)

Are we so paranoid about fakes that we automatically assume that anything that we haven't seen before is a fake? Really?

The TUNERS, Hungrycat - The TUNERS!!!!! I use them on project Guitars because they're decently

functional and CHEAP!!! NOT on $700 + Guitars! I've NEVER heard of EPI using them on anything,

though to use them on the "Special II" series of Gits would be a MASSIVE improvement.

Show me asome pics of those Tuners on REAL EPIs (VERIFIABLY REAL) and I'll admit I learned something! [biggrin]

The TUNERS, Hungrycat - The TUNERS!!!!! I use them on project Guitars because they're decently

functional and CHEAP!!! NOT on $700 + Guitars! I've NEVER heard of EPI using them on anything,

though to use them on the "Special II" series of Gits would be a MASSIVE improvement.

Nope. They were on there. I'll saunter on down to GC and take some pictures for you.

They used tuners like than on everything for a period in the 90's. Why not use them now? Like you said, they're cheap enough to make profits high, and we all know that Epiphone is inconsistent at best with their specs. I think it probable that that's a real Epi.

i was going off of the official photo:

31qJzIkTIiL._SL500_.jpg

though i did see that one you posted as well, but only on that one finnish(?) site. nowhere else did i see one that had gibson style tuners, and yellow in the logo and split-diamond inlay. if it's legit and only available in europe or something, im going to feel like a horse's a**

This was a photoshop of the Gibson model used to market the Epiphone version.(look closely at the bridge)

they photoshopped the neck off of an Epi Custom

It was all discussed here some time back when it was first released

As far as the Craigslist guitar goes it's no different than the one hanging on the wall at Guitar Center

in my town.

There is nothing that stands out on that model as a fake

and the cheapo tuners are a reality of that guitar to give it the 'keystone' look.

Epiphone says 'most' of its guitars feature Grover tuners.

Archived