Gibson Brands Forums

G-400 Volume Tone knobs

Muskoka

Hello all,

New member, first post, feel kind of stupid asking this but here goes. I bought a G-400 yesterday, 08 model, and for the life of me I can't get the volume or tone knobs off. One of the volume knobs is a bit loose and I want to tighten the nut but can't get at it. I've tried pulling as hard as I fell comfortable, no luck. I also have a Jackson Dinky and there is a screw in the side of those knobs, pretty easy. I figure these are press fit on the pot shaft? How do you guys get them off. Thanks for the help.

Glen

Pretty easy, they are pressed on. Just wrap a string around the shaft, under the knob and gently lift up. Move from side to side and it will pull off. The shafts are split. so you can gently open the shaft, wider, with a screwdriver. Push the knob back on. If is it still too loose, repeat.

Hello, "New Member" ! Welcome to our Funhouse!

There are 1001 different ways to remove Knobs. All involve upwards pressure

applied simultaneously to both sides of the knob. But first - have you tried

gently "wiggling" from side to side as you pull upwards?

If so, you'll have to "become innovative". The knobs on a G-400 are just pressed into

place. If the "Factory" was slightly off when installing, then the knobs may be just a

bit off to the side regarding the "internal splines" of the knob, resulting in the tight fit

you are experiencing. Time to become innovative.

Put a rag on both sides of the knob. (to protect finish). Put a small "spacer" piece on opposite sides

of the knob, then use SPOONS on each side to gently apply upwards pressure at the same time. You've just

created a "lever". Should work. There are other ways, involving SOCKS, HUMVEEs with a TOW CHAIN, etc. BUT.

I don't think you'll need them.

The knobs WILL come off, just have to be creative in their removal to compensate for the IDIOTS on the Factory.

And Again - Welcome to the Forum!

Thanks for the replies, help and welcome. Didn't know I was going to have to keep a pair of socks and a couple of spoons in my guitar case, but hey, I got my knobs off, no pun intended. I had a feeling they were pressed on, but wanted to make sure before I got the hammer out. Thanks again.

Glen

• 4 weeks later...

Archived